Author Topic: Searching for information about my grandma  (Read 1662 times)

Louise goffin-thorogood

Searching for information about my grandma
« on: February 11, 2019, 07:21:49 PM »
Hello. Iím looking for information regarding my grandma, she was born many years ago (1913) and lived at 150 Sparmount Stree, Dock Ward, Antrim. He name was Wilhelmina OíNeill, she had 5 siblings James,Matilda,Mary,Elizabeth and William being the youngest.
Any information wove greatly appreciated as I have been searching for possible relatives for many years. Thank you for your time in reading this. Louise

Bread Basket

Re: Searching for information about my grandma
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 09:09:43 AM »
Hello. Iím looking for information regarding my grandma, she was born many years ago (1913) and lived at 150 Sparmount Stree, Dock Ward, Antrim. He name was Wilhelmina OíNeill, she had 5 siblings James,Matilda,Mary,Elizabeth and William being the youngest.
Any information wove greatly appreciated as I have been searching for possible relatives for many years. Thank you for your time in reading this. Louise

Good morning Louise and a warm welcome to the Forum. You will no doubt be surprised with the information that other members on here will find for you, the majority of the Forum members have a wealth of skill and knowledge and also access to lots of different records. Can I ask that you contact one of the moderators and ask for your post to be transferred to the Geneology Section, you will have more success there.

There are a few things that you need to confirm. Was the the family surname OíNeill or Neill. On my initial search I have found a Wilhelmina Neill born in 1916, not 1913 as you state, could this be her?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1916/01338/1552300.pdf
You will see that no Father is recorded on the record but note the address as 4 Skegoniel Ave ( which is about a half mile from Spamount St where you originally say she lived).
Now note the Street Directory from 1918, it shows a James Neill living at 4 Skegoniel Ave, a Joiner by trade.
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/scomplete1918.htm

Now have a look at the 1911 Census, it shows a Neill family sharing a house at 3 Skegoniel Ave
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Duncairn_Ward/Skegoniel_Street/133059/
James is the head of house but note that the occupation is different from the street directory in 1918.

Do not get alarmed at any of the info above not matching up to the info that you have gleaned from family members or stories, information usually gets a wee bit bent and twisted from time to time.

Iíll get back to you with more info later.
Hope this gives you hope in finding your relatives

Louise goffin-thorogood

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply and very useful information I have a feeling my grandmaís mother was called Anne but cannot be completely sure. I will check the links you have sent. I look forward to hearing from you again with hopefully soon. Kind regards louise.

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »
Louise,
Iíve worked through all of the street directories for 150 Spamount St up until 1960 and there is no Family of Neill recorded for that surname. However there is a man, James OíNeill a joiner, who lived at 11 Spamount St for years but I do not think that this is your family.

What was your Grannies married surname?

Louise goffin-thorogood

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 10:21:36 AM »
Her married name was Patterson, her husband was in the enniskillen fuiselierís she moved to Richmond barracks in Yorkshire and had 3 children. My mother was called Shirley.

Bread Basket

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »
Her married name was Patterson, her husband was in the enniskillen fuiselierís she moved to Richmond barracks in Yorkshire and had 3 children. My mother was called Shirley.
Louise, I realise that it may be a pain but it would be a great help if you could list everything that you know for definite, ie, Christian and surnames, dates of Birth, Marriage or Death, religion, occupation, schools, street names. If you can supply that info then it will save the ping pong q&aís 👍🏼

Louise goffin-thorogood

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 12:24:41 PM »
Iím afraid I really have very limited information other than my grandad was called Sidney Patterson, I was adopted at birth but met my grandma a few times which made me very keen to learn my heritage. I thought my great grandma was called Mary Ann OíNeill and her husband was William OíNeill. The searches I have done said my grandma was born in April 1900. She passed away in gorleston Norfolk at the age of 103. Another address that popped up on my search was 43 Little Georgeís, Dock Ward. This is I believe the address prior to sparmount street. I know through Dorothy my birth mothers sister I have lots of cousins living in Belfast but the only link to finding them is my grandma.

Bread Basket

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 06:28:35 PM »
Louise, Aís said earlier, if you send a message to valkerr
She is a Moderator on the Forum and ask for your thread to be transferred to the Geneology Section.
There are guys Ďn girls there who will be more than willing to help. 👍🏼

Louise goffin-thorogood

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 08:19:22 PM »
Thank you so so much for your help and the links ... I have never seen my great grandparents wedding information I canít thank you enough. I will pass on my details to valker fingers crossed I will get a little further in my search. Thank you 🙏

Bread Basket

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 09:17:35 AM »
This is where Little Georgeís St appears. As an aside, I was born and bred about 5 or 6 hundred yards from Little George St 🤫👍🏼

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/01999/1768789.pdf

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01925/1745563.pdf

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1903/01852/1721929.pdf

A bit of a curve ball on Elizabeth. Initially could not find her anywhere other than the 1911 Census but eventually tippeled that she was registered as Lizzie 👍🏼
Now moved to Spamount St

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1906/01754/1691635.pdf

Now your Grannie

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1908/01669/1664599.pdf

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1909/01595/1641071.pdf

Just out of interest
, take a look at all the births on the same page where William was registered, all of the births were  Mary Ann Mcguiness was Present at Birth, she must have been the local Midwife for the area as I know all of the streets that are listed as I grew up in the same area. You never know, my Grannie and your Great Grannie May have known each other 😜😜

Bread Basket

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 09:54:59 AM »
On 2nd thoughts the lady would not have been a Midwife as she could not write and just made her mark X.
She was probably just one of those many women who attended births and assisted 🤔🤔🤔

Louise goffin-thorogood

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 12:46:22 PM »
Thatís very interesting, Iím sure thereís someone who would have known of my grandma as I said I have such limited information but I think I can safely say they lived at 22 and not 150. I think I will have to go to the records office and have a look. Thank you again for your help and information.  suddenly I realise I have a history!!! 😊

Bread Basket

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 12:55:14 PM »
Thatís very interesting, Iím sure thereís someone who would have known of my grandma as I said I have such limited information but I think I can safely say they lived at 22 and not 150. I think I will have to go to the records office and have a look. Thank you again for your help and information.  suddenly I realise I have a history!!! 😊
When Wilhelmina married Sidney Patterson where did they live on mainland UK?