Author Topic: The Belfast paintings of Belfast artist Joseph McWilliams 1938 - 2015  (Read 859 times)

stickleback

Re: The Belfast paintings of Belfast artist Joseph McWilliams 1938 - 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 07:15:18 PM »

Thanks for posting this interesting insight into an artist I'd never heard of before, James.

I found his work to be significant and if I win the lotto I might just buy that painting: Riots And Barricades: New Lodge Road ( 1971).

I like the way it leaps off the canvas. You can almost hear the commotion all around.

The interview revealed a quiet and thoughtful artist with an almost poetic insight into the culture and times of the life he lived.

sj

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 04:44:21 AM »

Thanks for posting this interesting insight into an artist I'd never heard of before, James.

I found his work to be significant and if I win the lotto I might just buy that painting: Riots And Barricades: New Lodge Road ( 1971).

I like the way it leaps off the canvas. You can almost hear the commotion all around.

The interview revealed a quiet and thoughtful artist with an almost poetic insight into the culture and times of the life he lived.

Agree. There isn't much an artist can do other than paint what he sees and see he seemingly did through the eyes of a person who tried  to keep true values through a very troubled time for all people in Northern Ireland.   One of my favourites that just jumps off the page , although I have not seen the original is " Christians leaving a church ".  This depicts the disturbances after the many church services held at Drumcree when the Orange Order attempted to march through the police and army roadblocks.  :)       
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

James James

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 07:07:54 AM »
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/remarkable-artist-who-deserves-the-gratitude-of-a-city-31597370.html

"Christians leaving a church no 2"     1999

"Drumcree Sunset"     2003

sj

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 12:43:37 PM »
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/remarkable-artist-who-deserves-the-gratitude-of-a-city-31597370.html

"Christians leaving a church no 2"     1999

"Drumcree Sunset"     2003

Joe mc Williams and I shared a relationship with two sisters who came from Ballycastle and we're our grandmother's.  My father and his father were cousins and I met him shortly before his death when I came from Australia.  It was meant to happen.
He I feel tried to show people through his paintings that all was not as it appeared.  ..Sam
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...