Author Topic: Gráinne Brady presents BEYOND: The Story of an Irish Immigrant  (Read 358 times)

grainne.brady6

Gráinne Brady presents BEYOND: The Story of an Irish Immigrant
« on: February 19, 2019, 06:12:37 PM »
Hello

I am running an event next week Tues 26th @8pm in the Accidental Theatre, Belfast and am looking to get the word out to trad lovers, people interested in Irish immigration in Scotland, and the literature of Patrick MacGill. Here is some more info:

I am an Irish fiddle player from Co. Cavan, based in Glasgow where I work as a professional musician. BEYOND: The Story of an Irish Immigrant is a project I have been working on which will explore the social themes associated with the mass immigration of the Irish to Scotland, particularly at the start of the 20th century. My debut album ‘The Road Across the Hills’ is the first part of this project and delves into the life of the Irish Immigrant in Scotland, a country to which many Irish came to seek work over the last few centuries.
With all music composed by myself, 'The Road Across the Hills' will act as a soundtrack to the novel 'Children of the Dead End', the unofficial autobiography of Donegal poet and writer Patrick MacGill. Born in Glenties in 1889, MacGill emigrated to Scotland in the 1900s, and with barely an education, began to discover his talents as a writer whilst working as a labourer on the railways in Glasgow and as a navvy in Glencoe. His writings reflected on his growing preoccupation with the poor, the downtrodden and the workers who, like himself, toiled in the mud to build civilisation but lived on the outside of society.
The music will take the listener on a journey; from MacGill's childhood in rural Donegal, to gruelling labour in Scotland, as a potato picker, or ‘tattie howker’, labourer and navvy, with some colourful characters along the way, as well as a bittersweet story of love and loss. The story speaks for the outcasts in society, the labourers, navvies and waifs. It speaks for the Irish immigrant. It depicts the hardships endured by both the Irish and Scottish lower class in times past. The music delves into this world, whilst highlighting the enduring hope that drove such determination to succeed despite the odds – an enduring concept just as relevant today in the discussions around immigration as when MacGill was writing.
Although I moved to Glasgow from Ireland in a much more enlightened time, the compositions are not only inspired by this tale but are also a reflection of my own musical journey over the last few years. Joining me for this performance will be Andrew Waite (accordion), Innes White (guitar/mandolin) and Jack Houston (spoken word/fiddle). The band will be performing music from ‘The Road Across the Hills’ with storytelling and poetry.

If you could spread the word to anyone you think might be interested that would be most appreciated! Msg me for a link.

Cheers

Gráinne