Author Topic: Products/Services that came to you  (Read 470 times)

BT41NF

Products/Services that came to you
« on: February 22, 2019, 04:25:25 PM »
New to the forum:Grew up in Connsbrook Park, Sydenham
Went to school Strand Primary, Grosvenor HighWorked H&W 4 years1974 emigrated to St. Louis, MO, USA
It has been great reading all these stories. One thing that I miss are the products and services that came to your home. Things like: Milk deliveries, Gas man coming round to light gas street light, smoked kippers on bicycle with basket, window cleaners walking around with their ladders and buckets, coal man with cloth(?) bags of coal and slack, gas man emptying the gas meter, newspaper delivery with payment on a Friday night ... I did that and the weight of the old money should have burst through my pockets. Anything else that was delivered to home?

Monkey Nuts

Re: Products/Services that came to you
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 09:07:56 PM »

Greetings BT 41,how about the better ware man with small
suitcase full of cleaning products and the provident cheques.
And of course there was that very old service that would have
a doctor yes doctor grace your doorstep. Also I remember
when neighbours used to greet one.
 Perhaps that's just me.

Billy Fish

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 04:21:16 PM »
I remember the Coalman, the milkman, the paperman, the breadman all calling on a Friday night for payment. I remember the pools coupon man also calling on a Friday night. Used to remember a wee Indian man calling door to door selling from a suitcase, brushes and other household wares.
Support Soldier F

syriana

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 07:27:56 PM »
I was brought up on the Castlereagh Road, Belfast.  I remember a man selling coal brick from an open truck shouting "Coal Breek" - maybe it's my imagination but I seem to recall steam rising from them.  There was also a man with a mobile knife sharpener and the weekly herring cart cart accompanied by a man guldering "Ardglass Herns".
The Truth is a Lie Which Hasn't Been Found Out.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 08:33:28 PM »

And the man selling bleach in different sized bottles

Selling paraffin,for heaters

The Lemonade man.

The Rag man.

The Prudential man collecting the Premium money

The Pig man taking away skins and spoiled food.
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

Bigali

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 12:30:20 AM »
I was brought up on the Castlereagh Road, Belfast.  I remember a man selling coal brick from an open truck shouting "Coal Breek" - maybe it's my imagination but I seem to recall steam rising from them.  There was also a man with a mobile knife sharpener and the weekly herring cart cart accompanied by a man guldering "Ardglass Herns".

There are still mobile knife sharpeners about I see one regularly around the restaurants in the Hack albeit all set up in the back of a Transit van but judging by the amount of times I see this one van about he seems to be making a good living  :)
Support Soldier F

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

misssmyth1

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 04:09:21 PM »
I remember all of them thanks for that  . we especially loved the baker coming around with his big trays that he pulled out  & the lovely smells of the bread and buns etc . Friday night was very busy indeed with all the people calling for their money  mum had all the piles ready on the sideboard  for the different people prudential ,coal, milk , freemans club etc . I was fascinated watching her do it ...brown lemonade ... no one had heard of it when i came to London in 1970  they thought i was silly asking for it   LOL   is it just an irish thing? 

Bigali

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 04:49:55 PM »
The man from the Pru ! I’d forgotten about him , used to call at our house on a Monday afternoon.

Brown lemonade , I love it , the “Maine mineral man “ used to call once a week , us kids got a bottle of cream soda , limeade , rasberryade or whatever but always a bottle of brown lemonade for Dad . I’ve never seen it anywhere outside of Northern Ireland .
Support Soldier F

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Dot/dash

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 04:34:57 PM »
The man from the Pru ! I’d forgotten about him , used to call at our house on a Monday afternoon.

Brown lemonade , I love it , the “Maine mineral man “ used to call once a week , us kids got a bottle of cream soda , limeade , rasberryade or whatever but always a bottle of brown lemonade for Dad . I’ve never seen it anywhere outside of Northern Ireland .

cream soda   is very yummy                especially chilled          .          :nyam:
LEAVE       MEANS      LEAVE

CMcG

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 05:14:04 PM »
A huge old Commer Van called at our house every few days in the late 60s / early 70s.  Inside, a hand cranked meat slicer delivered your cooked ham onto a piece of greaseproof paper, paper bags were the norm, vegetables still had the muck on them...

I also remember the Indian gentleman with the leather suitcase calling at the door to sell dish cloths, handkerchiefs etc.

misssmyth1

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 08:41:15 PM »
god bless them all making a living .