Author Topic: Mater Hospital medical records for 1929?  (Read 342 times)

Genevieve489

Mater Hospital medical records for 1929?
« on: March 03, 2019, 07:50:45 PM »
My grandmother died in the Mater Hospital in 1929 and I would very much like to look at her medical records.  The hospital say they don't have records as far back as 1929 and I've been unable to find them elsewhere.  Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Elwyn

Re: Mater Hospital medical records for 1929?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 05:20:12 PM »
     In general, old hospital records end up in PRONI, if they havenít been destroyed. There are often restrictions on accessing medical records that are less than 100 years old though. They are often closed for privacy reasons. Check the PRONI e-catalogue for the Mater records.

Elwyn

Genevieve489

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 10:49:20 AM »
Thank you for your reply, Elwyn.  I did get in touch with PRONI but they said they couldn't find my grandmother's name.  I had a look at the PRONI e-catalogue and there is information from Mater Hospital in there.   Is it possible to search these online?   I've also found the website of the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust which gives an address to write to in order to obtain medical records from various Belfast hospitals, including the Mater.  So, I'll see what they say, although, as you said, I may not be able to access anything as her death is within 100 years.  Thanks again.

Elwyn

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 11:04:47 AM »
     Those PRONI records are not on-line.  You have to go in person and search them yourself (assuming they are open to public inspection).

Elwyn