Author Topic: List of protestant mother and children homes in Antrim  (Read 1195 times)

Seasons

Re: List of protestant mother and children homes in Antrim
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »
Herbie. It's my Father's information and very personal, so i don't feel i can share it without his approval. I am however, happy to DM information that enabled me to get thus far if you need any suggestions on searching.
This search has been extremly challenging i have to say but it was DNA that confirmed the paper trail in the end.

Seasons

herbie

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 03:30:37 PM »
Seasons .. that is an encouragement to know dna testing has helped you.   Have done that too.   My Dad was born in Belfast.   Don't know where his mother was born but was in Belfast at his birth.   Dna testing has taken me to family in Monaghan with names I never knew/expected.   A lot of that family in Monaghan went to Australia and NZ.   So while I haven't nailed it yet, I am closer than before.   Don't know for sure if it's mother or father side.   I will sent a private email to you if you have any tips. 

The family in Australia have been so welcoming.   NZ good too but less info there.

The other part for me is wondering about the family that raised my Dad in Belfast.   Were they foster or relatives?   Good people whatever the reason.

Herbie

Andi

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »
Hey guys, I've read your posts with interest and I really do hope you find the information you want. x

However, it made me think of my dad and his siblings who, apparently, were sent to Dublin after the death of their mother in 1924. They too were Church of Ireland and I've often wondered why Dublin ??? It was post-partition, but someone suggested to me either Orange Order or Masonic orphanages .  I don't know enough history of the event/family or how to proceed, but would love if someone could give some indication on why this may have happened. My grand-father remarried and, I assume, the children were then 'sent for'.  Any suggestions welcome. x