Author Topic: french O'neill searching irish origins  (Read 868 times)

Willy49

french O'neill searching irish origins
« on: March 08, 2019, 11:26:47 AM »
hello,

sorry for my english, i hope you can understand.

i'm french and i'm looking for my irish origins

- my great great grand father (james o'neill) is son of Peter o'neill and Mary O'neill (122 milford street)
- he got married with Mary Neeson (56 Milford street) in 25 december 1891 and lived (126 milford street)
- they had 3 childrens Mary, Sarah born in january 1900 (my great grand mother) and Peter born in 1901/1902
- Sarah and peter were raised by their grandmother Anne Neeson
- Sarah left ireland to come to france between 1920 and 1926

i hope someone can give me more information.

in end of april i bring my grand-mother (86 years old) to ireland to she discover the country where her mother was born.

Loneygrandchild

Re: french O'neill searching irish origins
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 07:05:38 PM »
Hi, I am happy to say that Willy49 is a relative of mine.
I am happy to share our family history.

LGC  :D
Dempsey Rooney McGivern Nolan Hughes O'Neill Bogue O'Hara Boyle Madden Donnelly Downey Fegan Foster Farr Sheils McCormack Gracey Gallagher McDowell

JimG

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:50:40 PM »

Loneygrandchild you amaze me. Heres what i was going to offer a starter for Willy49
You have done well so far,  the most important element found within 30 minutes is that your first known ancestor currently Peter OíNeill was a pilot in Belfast for a simple description see Maritime pilot Ė Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_pilot  A maritime pilot, marine pilot, harbor pilot, bar pilot, or simply pilot, is a sailor who maneuvers ships through dangerous or congested waters, such as harbors or river mouths.  History ∑ ‎Duties involved ∑ ‎Compensation ∑ ‎References this description of him applies in the Belfast street directories eg http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/  and
http://streetdirectories.proni.gov.uk/  1890
Milford street contains other OíNeils who could be his relatives
46, 48. O'Neill, James, grocer 
52. O'Neill, John, mechanic
92. O'Neill, John, painter
122. O'Neill, Peter, pilot presumably a pilot in the harbour area

The  1901 census 126.2 in Milford Street (Smithfield, Antrim) see http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie
O Neill Mary 25 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Antrim Yarn Spinner Read - Married {Mary can read but not write, the census has her mark witnessed by Michael McLoughlin}-
O Neill Mary 8 Female Daughter Roman Catholic City Belfast Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
O Neill Peter 3 Male Son Roman Catholic City Belfast Scholar Cannot read - Not Married -
O Neill Sarah 1 Female Daughter Roman Catholic City Belfast - Cannot read - Not Married -

and 1892 but the entry disappears by 1895, in one of these directories another man is described as a Master pilot so two categories of pilot existed in Belfast
The 1901 census confirms your information
126.2 in Milford Street (Smithfield, Antrim) the numbering in census is different to a street directory
O Neill Mary 25 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Antrim Yarn Spinner Read - Married Mary can read but not write the censushas her mark witnessed by Michael McLoughlin- You can look this up.
O Neill Mary 8 Female Daughter Roman Catholic City Belfast Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
O Neill Peter 3 Male Son Roman Catholic City Belfast Scholar Cannot read - Not Married -
O Neill Sarah 1 Female Daughter Roman Catholic City Belfast - Cannot read - Not Married -
1911 census
5.2 in Plevna Street (Falls (Belfast), Antrim)
Neeson Anne 73 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Antrim Old Aged Pensioner Cannot read - Widow describes herself as housekeeperin street directory1907 - - -
Neeson Margaret 60 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Antrim - Cannot read - Single - - - O Neill  Peter 13 Male Grand Son Roman Catholic Belfast City Scholar Cannot read - Single
O Neill  Sarah 12 Female Grand Daughter Roman Catholic Belfast City Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -

could this be Mary junior below in 1911 census
117.1 in Nelson Street (St. Anne's Ward, Antrim)
Santini Carlo 47 Male Head of Family R Catholic Italy Ice Cream Shop Assistant Read and write - Married - 25 9 6
Santini Annie 47 Female Wife R Catholic England - Read and write - Married - 25 9 6
more family then plus 2 servants
McDermott Sarah 18 Female Servant R Catholic Belfast Musecian Organ Grinder Read and write - Single - - - -
O'Neill Mary 17 Female Servant R Catholic Belfast Musecian Organ Grinder Read and write - Single - - - -
Goodluck and enjoy the visit

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 03:16:21 PM »
Hi JimG, thank you for the information.
All of it I have found, but I was confused when my Great Great Grandfather was recorded as a pilot, so thanks for that.
From documents I have this is his employment history:
1861 census a smiths helper.
1863 marriage a labourer.
Family birth & death certs:
1869/71 a fireman.
1874 a coal trimmer.
1876 a fireman.
1878 an engine driver.
1890 a labourer.
1895 his death cert, an engine driver.
1913 death cert of my Great Great Grandmother, an engineer.
As for Mary OíNeill junior. I do not know if it is the Mary Iím looking for but Iíll look into it.
Thanks again,
LGC

Dempsey Rooney McGivern Nolan Hughes O'Neill Bogue O'Hara Boyle Madden Donnelly Downey Fegan Foster Farr Sheils McCormack Gracey Gallagher McDowell

harrison

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 07:53:25 PM »
My great great great grandmother Mary O'Neill married Bernard
Stuart in St.Patrick's RC.Chapel Donegal Street 1842.She lived in
Union Street and lived Kent Street.

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 03:49:20 PM »
hello,

sorry for my english, i hope you can understand.

i'm french and i'm looking for my irish origins

- my great great grand father (james o'neill) is son of Peter o'neill and Mary O'neill (122 milford street)
- he got married with Mary Neeson (56 Milford street) in 25 december 1891 and lived (126 milford street)
- they had 3 childrens Mary, Sarah born in january 1900 (my great grand mother) and Peter born in 1901/1902
- Sarah and peter were raised by their grandmother Anne Neeson
- Sarah left ireland to come to france between 1920 and 1926

i hope someone can give me more information.

in end of april i bring my grand-mother (86 years old) to ireland to she discover the country where her mother was born.

I was so happy to meet with the family of Wiily. He gave me some names to trace & the following families are his relatives also.
I posted in Belfast Memories but thought I might get more responses here as Belfast Memories is an older post.

Hi, I am interested in finding information or relatives connected to Annie Barr & her sister Nellie McGuiness the flower sellers in Belfast.
I see from other posts on the forum that family members have posted.
I am researching the Neeson family & have information on Mary Neeson & her sister Susan.
Mary married James OíNeill in St. Peters in 1891 & they had a daughter Sarah who moved to France in the 1920s.
Susan married James Barr in St. Peters in 1901 & their daughter Annie Barr lived in France for a time with her cousin Sarah OíNeill.
Some other names Iím interested in are Margaret Graham, Jimmy Reid, his sister Mary Reid & his aunt Bella McAlay.
Jimmy Reid travelled to France with Sarah OíNeill.
They were connected to the linen industry & were making handkerchiefs in a village in France.
LGC

redzer

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 12:54:58 AM »
Hi Wily49,

Susan and James Barr who married in 1901 are my great grandfather and grandmother. Annie Barr returned from France after world war 11 and lived with her sister ellen (nellie) my grandmother until her (Annies)death in 1965. Please get in touch.

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 10:34:31 PM »
After some more research, I am looking for the living relatives of Peter OíNeill & Elizabeth OíNeill nee Thomas/Connolly. I am trying to find out if they are related to Willy 49.
Elizabeth died in 1955 & Peter in 1956, late of Cinnamond Street. They are both interred in Milltown Cemetery.
I have the following names from a 1955 newspaper insertion for the death of the above Elizabeth OíNeill:
Daughter Bernadette, son in law Thomas, Ann & Sarah Farrell Balkan Street.
Daughter Kathleen married Alexander McCrudden of Cinnamond Street.
Daughter Mary married Peter Haggerty of Massereene Street.
Daughter Bridie married Nathaniel Benson of Glenalina Park.
Son Henry & his wife Ann of Ballymurphy Drive.
Brother Patrick Thomas of Milan Street.
Also mentioned are Henry & Seamus OíNeill who were members of A. Dougal Social & Dart Club.
On 8th Anniversary daughters Teresa, Maura & son James are mentioned.
If you know this family I would appreciate if you could pass on this information.
I appreciate the need for confidentiality so private messages are welcome.
LGC

BelfastGal2019

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 02:38:41 AM »
Hi, I am happy to say that Willy49 is a relative of mine.
I am happy to share our family history.

LGC  :D
Iím related to you both as well. Did you meet up I wonder??

BelfastGal2019

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 02:56:30 AM »
Weíre also related!

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 03:20:57 AM »
Hi BelfastGal, I was lucky enough to meet up with the descendants of the OíNeill/Neeson family when they visited Belfast.
I have done some research on the Neeson/Barr families but havenít been able to confirm all of it.
I would be happy to share/swop info with you.
LGC