Author Topic: Greencastle Shore Road Belfast  (Read 324 times)

Alicewatson

Greencastle Shore Road Belfast
« on: March 10, 2019, 04:34:59 PM »
My mother lived in Greencastle 1930s 1940s.Her friend was called Madge Furgrove. I think she lived near Fortwilliam. Wold like to know if there are still Furgroves in this area

CMcG

Re: Greencastle Shore Road Belfast
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »
An unusual surname in the greater Belfast area context, I wonder if connected to the Furgroves of 865 Shore Road Belfast in the 1950s-70s (per newspaper articles, eg. like death notices). 

A James Furgrove and Margaret Quinn had a daughter Kathleen in 1920 who married James Phillips in St. Mary's Greencastle in 1961, they also had a daughter Margaret in 1923 who married Joseph Henry Hughes at St. Mary's Greencastle in 1946.

Just trying to offer up leads for folk to pick up...

Alicewatson

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 05:58:46 PM »
I donít remember much as I was about 8 years old and I remember going to see her with my mother. My motherís name was Teresa Foley and she was adopted by two elderly women. She lived on the opposite side of Grays lane near about where the tabernacle is. It is so long ago now it has changed so much.

Spudz

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 01:15:38 AM »

I went to Bearnageeha (St Patricks Secondary, Antrim Road) with a guy called Paul Furgrove in the late 1960's/70's.
I think he lived somewhere around Donegall Park Avenue.
Spudz

Alicewatson

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 06:40:25 AM »
Itís got to be the same family as the surname is so rare. I remember travelling on the bus from my mothers house. I know it was a block of flats. I did not grow up on the shore road myself but there are things I remember up until i was about 8.