Author Topic: Greencastle Shore Road Belfast  (Read 1290 times)

Alicewatson

Greencastle Shore Road Belfast
« on: March 10, 2019, 04:34:59 PM »
My mother lived in Greencastle 1930s 1940s.Her friend was called Madge Furgrove. I think she lived near Fortwilliam. Wold like to know if there are still Furgroves in this area

CMcG

Re: Greencastle Shore Road Belfast
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »
An unusual surname in the greater Belfast area context, I wonder if connected to the Furgroves of 865 Shore Road Belfast in the 1950s-70s (per newspaper articles, eg. like death notices). 

A James Furgrove and Margaret Quinn had a daughter Kathleen in 1920 who married James Phillips in St. Mary's Greencastle in 1961, they also had a daughter Margaret in 1923 who married Joseph Henry Hughes at St. Mary's Greencastle in 1946.

Just trying to offer up leads for folk to pick up...

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Alicewatson

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 05:58:46 PM »
I donít remember much as I was about 8 years old and I remember going to see her with my mother. My motherís name was Teresa Foley and she was adopted by two elderly women. She lived on the opposite side of Grays lane near about where the tabernacle is. It is so long ago now it has changed so much.

Spudz

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 01:15:38 AM »

I went to Bearnageeha (St Patricks Secondary, Antrim Road) with a guy called Paul Furgrove in the late 1960's/70's.
I think he lived somewhere around Donegall Park Avenue.
Spudz

Alicewatson

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 06:40:25 AM »
Itís got to be the same family as the surname is so rare. I remember travelling on the bus from my mothers house. I know it was a block of flats. I did not grow up on the shore road myself but there are things I remember up until i was about 8.

MarieM

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 03:26:32 AM »
Hi, I was born in 846 Shore Road (front row) in 1961. I believe my mother's family lived in the same home for years. We lived close to Tates Row and McDowels Row, and a newer housing development called Greymount. Greencastle village I believe.  The name Margaret Quinn rings a distant bell I wonder did she live close-by. I wonder if anyone might remember my family, Jack, Mary, Eileen, Annie, Kathleen, (my mum's generation), or Marty, Micheal, Marie, Jackie, Patsy (me and my brothers and sisters).

If you do then HiÖ.Marie

leigh77

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 04:53:20 PM »
Madge Furgrove was my godmother.  She has sadly passed away.  Emigrated to Canada in the 80's.  Her daughter and her son are both in Canada. Her sister Kathleen was my grandmother.  There are still members of the family around the Donegal park avenue area.  My grandmother (kathleen) talked about a Teresa Foley.  its a name i recognised instantly. 

Alicewatson

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 06:20:29 PM »
Hi ,l am so happy to know that someone knew her name . My mum always spoke of Madge when l was young . I was about 6 when my mum would take me to visit her . I am trying to trace my mums family an Teresa Foley was not her name . Madge would have known my mums story as they were very close

leigh77

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 06:55:26 PM »
Hi Alice. Your mum lived on the same side of the shore road as Madge and my gran. The land now has a Metropolitan church on it. They lived in a row of cottages.  Your mum lived in what was a gate lodge with mrs foley as my mum calls her.  My mum met your mum when She was young. She has told me that your mum kept in touch with my gran and that she visited her and Madge. Seems they got back in touch when they where older. Tommy, Madge and my gran where friends with her. Unfortunately they have all passed. I will try and get you as much info as I can. Madges daughter may know a bit more about your mum.

Alicewatson

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 07:15:43 PM »
That would be great if I could find out some information. My mum passed away 2000 . I can remember the 2 Foley sisters who brought my mum up . I can remember the cottage vividly .I have a photo of myself outside the cottage .I don't know where my mum was born  . I am on ancestry and I know there is family belonging to her . As soon as I obtain a birth certificate the ball will roll for me .it's not easy as there is no name too go with just her date of birth and year

leigh77

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 08:20:45 PM »
Was there a boy lived with them alice? My mum thinks there was a boy called James? She could be wrong though. Yes one of the sisters wore a white shall and had a stick. She used to chase my mum apparently. I laughed at that. Il do my best for you. Is there a private message option on this site?

Alicewatson

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 08:52:22 PM »
Hi James was my half brother . My mum married Andrew Johnston. Madge would have known him. He passed away 1974. I know you can post private messages but Iím not to sure how . I am going to have a look .

floral

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 07:40:25 PM »
Madge Furgrove was my godmother.  She has sadly passed away.  Emigrated to Canada in the 80's.  Her daughter and her son are both in Canada. Her sister Kathleen was my grandmother.  There are still members of the family around the Donegal park avenue area.  My grandmother (kathleen) talked about a Teresa Foley.  its a name i recognised instantly.
Was madges daughter called greta

Alicewatson

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 08:04:09 PM »
I only new the name Madge. I donít know anything about her family as I was 6 or 9 years old at the time . Sorry

Alicewatson

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 06:31:38 PM »
Hi sorry I didnít get back sooner as I have not had time . I have sent this by private message. I think ! Hopefully. I guess I will soon know.