Author Topic: Ancestor  (Read 283 times)

BarneyBoy123

Ancestor
« on: March 11, 2019, 06:34:47 PM »
It would seem that my Great 5 times back Grandfather worked in the linen industry, can anyone tell me if a list of names survived? Thanks :)

Elwyn

Re: Ancestor
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:48:51 AM »
     The short answer is no.

At one time half the population of this part of Ireland were involved in the linen industry. Some grew flax and wove it at home on handlooms, but later these were replaced by large factories which made it more cheaply, quicker and to a better standard. At one time Belfast had over 50 mills, and acquired the nickname Linenopolis as a result. All the factories have closed now and few staff records survive. And for someone working from home, there obviously would be no record of their employment either. (Many labourers did a bit of weaving in the winter months when there was no labouring work available).

A bit of history about linen making in Ireland here:

https://www.fergusonsirishlinen.com/pages/index.asp?title2=History-of-Irish-Linen&title1=About-Linen

Elwyn

BarneyBoy123

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 09:12:07 AM »
Many thanks Elwyn, My Great 5 x Grandfather was probably a flax dresser in Ireland as he did this job when he moved to Scotland, my question was in the hope that I could trace what county he was born in by finding out what mill he would have worked in, his parents named on his death certificate were Brian?, Bryan? Kilty and Margaret Courtney, but as the registrars in Scotland were a law unto themselves back then the spellings of their names were probably different in Ireland, as the saying goes, the search goes on :-\

Elwyn

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:31:22 AM »
Flax dressing was something done all over Ulster. Not specific to one area. When was your ancestor born, and what denomination was the family?
Elwyn

crowlie

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 10:43:45 AM »

Hi
    Try these, maybe they are of some assistance.

Kilty - Family History & Genealogy Message Board
Bryan Kilty/ Margaret Kilty ne - Genealogy.com
Courtenay Connections : Margaret Kilty nee Courtney ...

Parish record - Kilaveney (Wicklow) Page 3 RootsChat.Com

Regards
                 bob
researching 
Moira, Turkington, Ferris and McClure
Magheralin, Ferris, King, Johnston and Mathers
Lurgan,  Patterson, Ferris, Pentland and McGeown