Author Topic: Looking for Bell family details of Cumberland Street Belfast  (Read 663 times)

Bell18

Hi recently I've started doing a bitta research and am looking if any one has details on the Bell family at 33 Cumberland Street in Belfast  :)

CMcG

Re: Looking for Bell family details of Cumberland Street Belfast
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 09:52:18 AM »

Hi recently I've started doing a bitta research and am looking if any one has details on the Bell family at 33 Cumberland Street in Belfast  :)

This was the family of Abraham Bell and Charlotte Bunting, is there any specific angle you have regards information?  If family tree research, you would be as well to post in the genealogy section, happy to provide information there if you do.

Bell18

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »
Hi thanks for getting back to me yes that is right .. it all started from my great great uncle who was killed in France at 22 he was son of Abraham and Charlotte. I'm looking at the angle of the rest of brothers and sisters who they married etc  :)

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 12:46:05 PM »
OK, this being the family...
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Wood_Vale_Ward/Wigton/157936/

Working down the siblings shown (ie. of William J killed in 1916):

- Eliza Jane married Joseph Mussen in 1915:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1915/09807/5560994.pdf

- Sarah Jane married Richard Grainger in 1919:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1919/09671/5507114.pdf

- Abraham married an "Agnes" - I think Agnes Rodgers may be a possibility, such a marriage took place on 9 September 1931 and GRONI has the record online (pay to view to confirm) ... also a burial record for these folk here:
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=D1&GraveNumber=265&CemeteryName=City%20Cemetery%20-%20Glenalina%20Extension

- Charles married a "Charlotte", I think Charlotte Hume may be a possibility, such a marriage took place on 6 August 1924 and GRONI has the record online (pay to view to confirm)... the couple had sons Abraham and Charles and the  family lived for some time at 14 Premier Drive Belfast.

- Robert married a "Martha", I think Martha Johnston may be a possibility, such a marriage took place on 7 August 1929 and GRONI has the record online (pay to view to confirm)... this family lived for some time at 111 Westmoreland Street Belfast.

- Charlotte married James Foster on 30 March 1929, GRONI has the record online (pay to view), Charlotte sadly died early, but not before having a daughter Meta Foster, the family lived for some time at 156 Lawnbrook Avenue Belfast... also a burial record for these folk here:
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=E&GraveNumber=276&CemeteryName=City%20Cemetery%20-%20Glenalina%20Extension

Heading out now, but hopefully this start will offer up more leads.

Bell18

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 03:06:51 PM »
Hi this is great so the other day I found out that there's mccorys.. Graingers.. And kinners I'm trying to find all this connection of who of the bells married them etc . . The stuff you have just sent I didn't know at all my nannda and nanny have just passed within 10 months of each other during their last moments they were becoming G forgetful so I'm trying to resume this sorta search . .I thank you for this so far hope. You could. Help anymore .. Ooo sorry was there one. Of the Rodgers killed in France do you know ?

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 04:17:24 PM »
Hi there (BTW: I'm not related to your Bells) ... I'm happy to follow up on them if there is any more information you can provide...

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 08:41:54 AM »

- Charlotte married James Foster on 30 March 1929, GRONI has the record online (pay to view), Charlotte sadly died early, but not before having a daughter Meta Foster, the family lived for some time at 156 Lawnbrook Avenue Belfast... also a burial record for these folk here:
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=E&GraveNumber=276&CemeteryName=City%20Cemetery%20-%20Glenalina%20Extension

James and Charlotte (Bell) Foster's daughter Meta went on to marry a David Carrigan (Meta = the grave occupant  transcribed as 'Martha Corrigan'), the death notices from October 1973 mention that David and Meta had children called Jim, Brenda and Alison Carrigan.

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 10:13:21 AM »
I think this is where your McCrory surname fits in, from the Belfast Telegraph of 24 January 1967:

GRAINGER - January 23, 1967, at his home, 55 Penrith St., RICHARD, dearly-loved husband of Sarah Jane Grainger.  Funeral to-morrow (Wednesday), at 2-30 p.m., to Carnmoney Churchyard. - Very deeply regretted by his sorrowing Wife, also his Granddaughter and Husband, Margaret and Sydney McKeown ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Son and Daughter-in-law,  Richard and Rita Grainger and Family, 6 Lyndhurst Parade ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Son and Daughter-in-law, Charles and Susan Grainger and Family, 32 Wilton Street ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughter and Son-in-law, Charlotte and Arthur Hughes and Family, 32 Beverley Street ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughter and Son-in-law,  Evelyn and Anthony Webster and Family, 13a Castlerobin Road, Belvoir Park ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughter and Son-in-law, Violet and Alfred Kinkead and Family, 43 Lorton Street ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughter and Son-in-law, Jean and William Melville and Family, 72 Montreal Street ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughter and Son-in-law, Mina and Alfred McCrory and Family, 22 Dover Street ... dearly-loved brother of Nell and David Grainger, 13 Turin Street ... Very deeply regretted by his Brother-in-law and Sister-in-law, Charles and Charlotte Bell, 14 Premier Drive ... With deepest sympathy, Sister-in-law, Brother-in-law, Lizzie and Joseph Mussen, and Family Circle, 275 Shore Road ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Granddaughter and Husband, Jean and Roy Brown and Family, 58 Cumberland Street ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Granddaughter and Husband, Lynn and Roy Crowe 24h Kilwarlin Walk

Geraldine1234

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 07:55:54 PM »
Hi Abraham Bell was my grandfather he was married to Agnes (nee Rodgers). His parents were Abraham Bell From Ballygreevy and Charlotte Bunting from Maghergale who were married in 1892.

Bell18

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 07:39:34 AM »
Hi there I'm your mum's brothers (Billy) grandson we were at your mums funeral there last year. I did of bit of research on the family.... The only one left is uncle Harry who still resides at canberia Street. We live in Brookmount Street now. Doing some research we have connections now with mccorys... Graingers... Kinners.. We have a great great uncle who was killed in action in France and I had seen a post that the mccorys put on about their great great uncle Cpl William Bell he was the son of Abraham Bell so that's how that all started.... I have some information about him where buried etc Abraham is buried in belfast City cemetery. Hope this helps 😉

Geraldine1234

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 12:09:25 PM »
Hi Bell18. Which one of my cousins do you belong to lol? I was at your Grandas funeral. I know where your Grandas mum and dad are buried but think Abraham and Charlotte must be buried in Glenavy. I also have details about about Williams war grave if you are interested.

Bell18

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »
Hi if you have fb? I'm Dinger G bell add me.  I'm Williams son

Geraldine1234

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 02:49:29 PM »
Not on fb. I'm Geraldine the eldest grandchild of the Bells. If you check My.Heritage website Uncle Harry and myself have family tree if you are interested. I go under surname of Quinn on it. As you can tell I'm not exactly tech savvy lol. Give your dad my love.

Bell18

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 06:01:19 PM »
Ah right... Just a pity I find all my family connections after a death in the family 🙄 I will be sure to have a look. Unfortunately I never see my dad now haven't since my nanndas funeral... Was sort of expected that we would all go our separate ways after the heads of my family passed. If u ever about don't be afraid to call to ours I live in Brookmount Street 👍 take care x

Number26

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 04:30:25 PM »
Hi bell18,are you related to billy bell who passed away in January and was a pastor in Malvern street assembly