Author Topic: McFetridge pensear search?  (Read 405 times)

archworth

McFetridge pensear search?
« on: March 13, 2019, 03:10:31 PM »
in 2009 I did a pensear search for a James  McFetridge  and  am now not able to find it online
this is what was sent

source 0993097
name Mary Clarke

father James McFetridge
mother Anne McFetridge

townland Preacher House Ln. Coleraine

parish Coleraine
barony Coleraine
county Londonderry

age at app 72
1841census
1851 censused

observations 1851...James McFetridge 38 head marrried 1838, Anne wife 40, Anne 12, Mary J, 7, James 1yr 6 months

These records for Coleraine seem to have been lost when Pensear was moved,  where did they go

Any help or information on the McFetridge line  appreciated

Elwyn

Re: McFetridge pensear search?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »
     There were several different ways of searching the 1841/1851 censuses. One method was to write directly to the Public Record Office in Dublin. Another was to go into your local Customs office and they would write to Dublin on your behalf. The ones who wrote directly to Dublin appear to be on the national library site with the other censuses. The records for those who wrote via the local Customs Office ended up in PRONI (for Northern Ireland anyway). And they are not on the nli site.

Josephine Masterson went through the ones held in PRONI and has published them as – “Ireland: 1841/1851 census extracts (Northern Ireland)”.  She’s done a separate volume for the Republic of Ireland.

Your McFetridge family are in the Northern Ireland book. Page 343.

I don’t know what happened to Pensear or their records but presumably the site has closed down.

Elwyn

archworth

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 03:00:40 AM »
Elwyn, Thank you so very much for the information that you sent.

sounds like you may have a copy of the book you mentioned, if so would you  send me further information about it, there are other entries that I need to check

Is Josephine Masterson's  information  on line, or the book  available for purchase anywhere.  I doubt that it will be in a Canadian library,

Why did they make finding this valuable information so difficult.....too bad the pensear site is down, the last entry I found was in 2013,,,I believe that Find my Past bought the information,  they have not put all the information on line as of today

Again a very sincere thank you for taking the time to find and answer my question.

i

Elwyn

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 07:52:44 AM »
     Masterson’s Book was published in 1999 by the Genealogical Publishing Company, 1001 N. Calvert St, Baltimore MD 21202. ISBN 0-8063-1587-3.

I bought a copy in Northern Ireland a couple of years ago, so it’s still for sale. (If ordering, make sure you specify the Northern Ireland volume because obviously there is a sister volume for the Republic of Ireland).

I don’t mind doing a few quick look ups if that’s what you want. (Send me a pm with the details).

Elwyn

archworth

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 04:29:53 PM »
Thank you for the very kind offer, but I was able to find Josephine Masterson's information on Ancestry.

A general search of this does not bring up  the information i was seeking so i will make a  new post of how to do it.

you help is sincerely appreciated

archworth

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »
Much of what is on Ancestry and other sites does not show up in a general search.  To see the complete listings of information available you need to go to the card catalogue and search from there.
By using this I was able to find the complete census and actually see all of the film strips and best of all the indexes.
Once you have found the strips, go through them and read all of contents, you will surprised by what you can find