Author Topic: Torrens avenue  (Read 883 times)

Sawdoctor

Torrens avenue
« on: March 17, 2019, 10:57:35 AM »
Hello I was born in the jubilee maternity and we lived in 18 Torrens avenue until I was 1 year old . My family moved out of northern Ireland in 1970. Can someone please tell me if our house is still there ? Or any other info would be interesting now that I'm 50. Thank you.

Sawdoctor

Re: Torrens avenue
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 05:29:35 PM »
Thank you for fast reply. The hedge did well. Nobody told me that our house was beside a police or army base. I see the gable has been repaired. Do you know if it was damaged during the troubles/ conflict.?

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 03:12:42 AM »

I don't know if it was damaged.  The top of the gable wall of the adjoining house has been similarly built with a different colour of brick, likewise the houses almost opposite have different coloured bricks (although more scattered throughout), it's a bit odd, maybe someone local might know.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Sawdoctor

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 10:32:08 AM »
Thank you again CMcG for your reply.
Hopefully someone local to the torrens avenue area will throw some light on the apparent reconstruction.  But after reading a lot from Dr.  Google I'd say anything could have happened there.

ericjeff

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 08:13:28 PM »
Hi. I lived across at #79 and moved out when I finished Queen's. Family friends - Maureen and Eric Burns lived in tht house and must have moved to Bangor.  As a boy I watched those 4 houses being built. Went over one afternoon when #22 wall was being bricked and the wall almost fell on me!!! Quality construction???

Sawdoctor

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 08:39:48 PM »
Thank you for your information. Did you mean that Eric and Maureen lived in 18 Torrens avenue after 1970 ?.
I took a drive to Belfast a few years ago and noticed different brickwork on the gable of a house . It must have fell and been rebuilt.  :)

ericjeff

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 08:46:28 PM »
Hi. They were there while I was at QUB. I was named after him. He worked in Bangor (the home for delinquent boys) and I think with the troubles he felt safer there. When we sold #79 the Corporation bought it to house displaced people. Your parents must have bought from them. I moved to London and then Canada.

Sawdoctor

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 08:51:51 PM »
Ok. Thank you. So those people are probably passed away by now. My parents probably bought it in the mid to late sixties.

Spudbred

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 12:03:00 AM »
Hello Sawdoctor

I lived in 18 Torrens Avenue from when I was born in 1973 for 23 years! My parents must have bought it off your family! I'd love to chat - can tell you a few things about the house. I see the number that my Dad put up is still there!

C

Sawdoctor

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 12:48:15 PM »
I'm Afraid i cant give any info on the house as i was only 1 when we moved out. Id love to know what it was like after we left .
Or If my parents over reacted by moving out when things started to change to troubled times.?

Spudbred

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 02:19:20 PM »
Well, we lived there a long time through the dark days which were horrendous, mostly because of the attention the police station got. Could write a book about it! Happy to DM more if you're interested!

Sawdoctor

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 09:45:32 PM »
Excuse my lack of forum experience but what does DM mean.?

And i would like to understand more about the ups and downs of the place I came to after being born in Belfast.

Spudbred

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 10:44:46 PM »
DM = direct message

Sawdoctor

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 11:12:06 PM »
Yes. I think I have DM figured out. Itís a message between 2 forum members that isnít public.

I would be delighted to hear about our house and the surrounding area after 1970. Both of my parents are dead and no photos of that time.