Author Topic: Deliveries by horse and cart in Belfast.  (Read 880 times)

harrison

Deliveries by horse and cart in Belfast.
« on: March 30, 2019, 09:12:04 AM »
Does anyone remember the deliveries in Belfast by horse and cart.
The breweries,coal men.
Harkness,Cowans,Ulster transport authority,Guinness etc.
The brass on the  leather gleaming were a credit to the men in charge of the grooming and turnout of horse and cart.
A credit to Belfast in those days and sadly missed today.
They should be brought back today to avoid accidents and carparking.
Imagine 4 horses pulling modern trams.

Paulmc1718

Re: Deliveries by horse and cart in Belfast.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 05:08:03 PM »
yes I remember the horse's that brought beer barrels
 over to Georges bar on the on junction destillery st and
  Grosvenor road from McKenna and McKinley in Marcioness st the horse's were all most the size of a house great day from the 1960s to very erley 1970s

bjay

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 06:46:07 PM »
I recall coal brick being delivered by horse and cart. The steam was rising from the coal brick as the driver did his rounds.  Those were the days may friend....

moorsy

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 01:01:59 AM »
Co-op milk cart, coal cart, rag and bone carts, skins collected for the pigs,and the Merry-go-round,all pulled by horses.

Never remember the Ormo bread carts with horses, they had electric vans.
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

GandT

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 12:04:19 PM »
Remember nearly all of these. Also the magic of the huge horses at the docks and the sights and sounds of that area - was it the Coal Quay or have I got that name wrong? Anyway, round the area of the Queen's Bridge that marked the furthest horizons of my childhood - a venture into exotic lands!

moorsy

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 05:12:21 PM »
Remember nearly all of these. Also the magic of the huge horses at the docks and the sights and sounds of that area - was it the Coal Quay or have I got that name wrong? Anyway, round the area of the Queen's Bridge that marked the furthest horizons of my childhood - a venture into exotic lands!

The coal quay was were the Kellys coal boats came in from Barrow, and the old Bangor rail station was, on the east side of the queens bridge.

Blake

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
Does anyone remember the deliveries in Belfast by horse and cart.
The breweries,coal men.
Harkness,Cowans,Ulster transport authority,Guinness etc.
The brass on the  leather gleaming were a credit to the men in charge of the grooming and turnout of horse and cart.
A credit to Belfast in those days and sadly missed today.
They should be brought back today to avoid accidents and carparking.
Imagine 4 horses pulling modern trams.
Just the rag and bone men.
artist formerly known as "that wee man from West Belfast"

misssmyth1

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »
Our milkman Geordie delivered the milk buttermilk etc on a horse and cart  I used to get a ride  on it sometimes . along with some of the other kids  . Hutchinson St off Grosvenor Road   He was  a lovely man. I have a photo somewhere with me on the cart. I was about 5 yrs old  late 50s . Does anyone   remember the penny a ride man came around the streets and you could get a ride around the block ?  It all seemed so exciting then !! 

Skythetwo

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 05:23:37 PM »
At Donegall Quay there was a sharp incline on the road as it turned onto the Queen' s Bridge, this was a difficult  turn for the horse and cart and a 'trace horse' was kept near this corner and both horses were yoked to get the cart onto the bridge, that done the trace horse was returned to wait for the next job.

moorsy

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 06:05:23 PM »
At Donegall Quay there was a sharp incline on the road as it turned onto the Queen' s Bridge, this was a difficult  turn for the horse and cart and a 'trace horse' was kept near this corner and both horses were yoked to get the cart onto the bridge, that done the trace horse was returned to wait for the next job.

And the road surface was those square setts which got very slippy when wet.

fred g

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 07:34:17 PM »
moorsy the square sets were called cobblestones if memory serves me right. many a time the car would slide in the wet

Billy Fish

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 08:10:15 PM »
moorsy the square sets were called cobblestones if memory serves me right. many a time the car would slide in the wet

Fred g, cobblestones and square sets were completely different in my mind. Cobblestones were round in section and square sets, were well, rectangular in section. I think ?   :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 08:55:33 PM »
My daddy worked for John Harkness. Many a time we got a lift back to school at lunchtime on the cart. A neighbour loved it when he came home, out she came with her bucket and shovel. Needed the manure for her house plants.

HarryHippo

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 10:20:07 PM »
I remember my parents being delivered back to the house by horse and cart ... after the pub closed   when we heard the screech of the wagon wheels ..we all shouted ' Mummy and daddys home ' it was really exciting .. but not much fun when we had to go out in the freezing cold and carry them both into the house, lay them in front of the fire before they caught their death. changed times now    eh ?   ;)
Lux Et Veritas.

Support Soldier F

moorsy

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 12:50:58 AM »
Fred g, cobblestones and square sets were completely different in my mind. Cobblestones were round in section and square sets, were well, rectangular in section. I think ?   :)

Thats the way I remember them as well.  The incline was one or the other,but it was nasty for the horses.