Author Topic: Sirocco Engineering and Samuel Davidson  (Read 622 times)

Lisadian

Sirocco Engineering and Samuel Davidson
« on: April 03, 2019, 06:19:14 PM »
This is my first post.
I am currently researching the life and work of Sir Samuel Cleland Davidson, founder and Managing Director of the Sirocco Works. He died in 1921 so we are coming to the centenary of hid death. He was an incredible man, some would say an engineering genius, who revolutionized the tea industry and went on to invent, construct and sell ground breaking fans, heating equipment and air conditioning.
I would like to hear from anyone who has first hand information about any aspect of Davidson and/or the Sirocco works. I know that there was a group of former employees -The Sirocco Dinosuars, met regularly at the Park Avenue Hotel at Strandtown, and who may still meet there. I'm keen to make contact with them.I am aware of material at the Public Record Office-PRONI.
Many thanks

jillyfred

Re: Sirocco Engineering and Samuel Davidson
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 09:02:44 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Lisadian.

Hopefully some Members will be able to assist you.

jilly

jillyfred

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 09:08:18 AM »
If you enter Sirocco Works into the Google Custom Search box at the right hand side at the top of this
page you will see many threads which have already been started on the Forum.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

jilly

Billy Fish

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 07:36:07 PM »
This is my first post.
I am currently researching the life and work of Sir Samuel Cleland Davidson, founder and Managing Director of the Sirocco Works. He died in 1921 so we are coming to the centenary of hid death. He was an incredible man, some would say an engineering genius, who revolutionized the tea industry and went on to invent, construct and sell ground breaking fans, heating equipment and air conditioning.
I would like to hear from anyone who has first hand information about any aspect of Davidson and/or the Sirocco works. I know that there was a group of former employees -The Sirocco Dinosuars, met regularly at the Park Avenue Hotel at Strandtown, and who may still meet there. I'm keen to make contact with them.I am aware of material at the Public Record Office-PRONI.
Many thanks

Welcome. There are many photos of Sirocco on the 'every black and white photos tells a story' thread. I will try and upload a few.  :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Lisadian

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 04:03:36 PM »
Thanks to those who responded to my query. I have followed up by meeting the Sirocco Dinosaurs, who get together on the last Wednesday of the month at the Park Avenue Hotel at Strandtown. I can now admit that I have started my research with the firm objective of writing  a book on Davidson and the Sirocco Works written and published in time for the centenary of Samuel Davidson's death in 2021. I've also connected his family and am getting support and information from them. I'm deeply into the material at the Public Record Office (PRONI).
I'd like to get any more available info from contributors to BF or other. What's the best way to get info ? I can put up my email address but I'm not sure if that is the correct thing to do. Maybe someone can advise me.

Lisadian

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 04:05:59 PM »
Forgot to add that anyone interesting should look out in the newspapers for my Press Release on the forthcoming book. It includes my name, email and phone number but I don't know if the papers will publish these details.

Billy Fish

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 06:39:39 PM »
Forgot to add that anyone interesting should look out in the newspapers for my Press Release on the forthcoming book. It includes my name, email and phone number but I don't know if the papers will publish these details.

I look forward to your book. It will make interesting reading I am sure. Samuel Davidson was a great Engineering pioneer a man of vision and fully deserves his place in Ulster history.  :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Peter Sterling

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 11:24:03 PM »
Remember it well, had an Uncle who was shot at by Republican scum on entering and leaving the factory. The workers only got peace when it moved to Queens Road.