Author Topic: Lisnasharragh Secondary  (Read 51553 times)

RabRow

Re: lisnasharragh/ cregagh
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 07:25:28 PM »
I went to Lisnasharragh when it opened in 1956 & left school that year. I lived in Carney Cres.
Castlereagh at that time. I believe it has closed down?

Aye its closed down Kraffy. Just put a brand new roof on it I hear,and then shortly afterwards they closed it. And of course the greatest footballer the world has ever seen went there. :)

maggiemayca

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 10:17:25 PM »
looking for any 1 who went to lisnasharragh or from the cregagh road around the 50s /60s even the branial estates .??
I went to Lisnasharragh from 1959-1963 and lived in the braniel.

BobbyM

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 11:54:38 AM »
My name is Robert Magee. I was at Lisnasharragh Secondary Intermediate from 1957 -62, I had to stay on for this extra year for the "College of Preceptors" Exam (which was a great help in later life - I don't think)
attached is a class photo taken in the playground (not sure if it's 57, 58 or 59)[/img]
I can remember some of the names:- top row from L to R...  DEREK GRAHAM;BRUCE UPRICHARD;RONNY MATEER;DEREK FERGUSON; JUNIOR HYDE; TOM SNOWDON; EARNEST COLLINS; ROBERT MAGEE; STEVEN SCOTT;BIOLLY HARBINSON;JIM LANKFORD.
Middle row - R to L.... ( blank), PHYLIS BLAKELY;( blank), ( blank), ROSMARY WATSON; DOREEN WOOLY;FLORENCE ALLISON; BARBERA BREEN;DOROTHY GALLAGHER;MARILYN PEEL.
front row L to R   WILLY MASTERS(ON);    ? . WATSON;ALLAN MITCHELL; IAN YORK. The last 8 I can't remember.  .maybe you know yourself.

I remember playing football in the playground with a tennisball. Geordie Best was already a great player and if you got the ball off him it wasn't long before he got it back!Sometimes there'd be 15 0r 20 of us all playing towards 1 goalie ( the goal was the playground shelter outside the toilet entrancenear the gym)   Ahhhhh them were the days when I couldn't wait to get to work!!

Seaviewite

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 03:13:51 PM »
Lisnasharragh closed just over a year ago and as a special project produced a book.
An excellent publication containing photographs of, allegedly, every pupil who
completed their education at the school.
My wife [maiden name Darragh], who came from the Cregagh Estate, was given a
copy as a gift last year and has enjoyed searching through the pages.
When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can pr

deke

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 04:10:13 PM »
Great photo BobbyM, I went there in 1958 for one year before moving on to the Tech, I'm from the Cregagh Estate also as is Twocoats on this forum.    I also have photocopies of the photo book sent to me by a good friend on the BF.       If anybody would like a copy of the year they were there let me know and I'll email it to you.      BobbyM your photo doesn't show up until 1962. 
I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

deke

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 04:16:38 PM »

BobbyM

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 05:54:39 PM »
Great photo BobbyM, I went there in 1958 for one year before moving on to the Tech, I'm from the Cregagh Estate also as is Twocoats on this forum.    I also have photocopies of the photo book sent to me by a good friend on the BF.       If anybody would like a copy of the year they were there let me know and I'll email it to you.      BobbyM your photo doesn't show up until 1962.  
Hello deke, I was brought up in Sheskin way on the Cregagh estate from the age of 2 'til 13 when we moved up to the "Rocky"
I would appreciste if you would email me a copy, as I said above I was there from 57 'til 62. Can't understand why  I sholdn't turn up until 62. (maybe they were ashamed of me.  ...!) Regards

Seaviewite

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 02:57:53 PM »
Bobby, the photos in the book/calendar were of pupils in their leaving year.
When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can pr

deke

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 05:54:48 PM »
Bobby, I lived on Mt.Merrion Ave and Twocoats lived on CoonenWay, I have sent you a PM. 

grannyspice

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 10:25:45 PM »
Ahoy you lot from Cregagh Estate did I serve you with your singles and your penny chews in Lord Johns?? Maybe you were paper boys, if so PM me. Maybe your mum paid her papers in the shop or yer dad got the early bus to work in the mornings. Let me know so as I can see how you are all doing now.   My daughters both went to Cregagh Primary and then Lisnasharragh and their photos are on the calendar too but perhaps later than yours. All the best for now.

glensmanca

Re: Lisnasharragh Secondary
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 02:52:21 AM »
i have a copy of the calender but i am in canada but can make a copy of some years if you wish norman dodds
Soda Farl,
      I attended Lisnasharragh from 1962 to November 1963, when we emigrated to Canada. I certainly would like to get any info you have on these years. I also lived at 16 Lower Braniel Road and would be interested in hearing from anyone who remembers me. People I remember are Michael Jackson, Walter Dalzel, Norman Lyons, the Fraynes,George Patty and Wilma, Jeffery Ruddick, Henry Douglas, Sandy and Alex MaCartney, Jim Magowan, Lorraine Madison, Renee Meneely.
Regards, Ivor Thompson

maggiemayca

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 02:52:11 AM »
Soda Farl,
      I attended Lisnasharragh from 1962 to November 1963, when we emigrated to Canada. I certainly would like to get any info you have on these years. I also lived at 16 Lower Braniel Road and would be interested in hearing from anyone who remembers me. People I remember are Michael Jackson, Walter Dalzel, Norman Lyons, the Fraynes,George Patty and Wilma, Jeffery Ruddick, Henry Douglas, Sandy and Alex MaCartney, Jim Magowan, Lorraine Madison, Renee Meneely.
Regards, Ivor Thompson
Your name is familiar,Iam Lynne Ashe formerly Ravenswood Park remember also Walter Dalzel.My Mom was good friends with Sandy and Alex Mccartney's Mom.

kraftcheese

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 03:29:16 AM »
Thanks Chunder,

I am sure there will be a lot of ex-pupils who would like this DVD.

Val  ;)
An old friend from Belfast who I knew at Lisnasharragh lives near me here in Victoria, Australia.  She brought the calendar over to show me one night .  Her sister in Belfast had sent it to her.  I took it to OfficeWorks, they took it apart, photocopied the entire thing - coloured cover and all - and spiral bound it. Then they put the original back together again with spiral binding and you'd never know it had been dismantled.  Brilliant job!  Cost about $43 for two copies - one for me and one for another Lisnasharragh friend of mine here.  Great value I thought.  I sent an email to Peter Brownlee and ordered the DVD (paid by Paypal) and it arrived here within a week.  I watched it and had a wee tear in my eye all the way through.  I attended Lisnasharragh from 1958 to 1962.  Great school.  So sad to see it closing.   Email '[email protected]' for details.  Good luck!
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

glensmanca

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 03:35:57 AM »
Maggiemay,

I played football with Waler on the Braniel Primary School team 1960/61, he was our captain.  I still have the school picture and just recently sent a copy to the school for their 50th. anniversary. Sandy and Alex emigrated to Australia just before we left for Canada. We were good friends. I was in Miss Davidson's class, she lived on Wyncroft Way. Do you remember Ian Stevenson, I believe he lived on Ravenswood Park?

maggiemayca

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 05:22:51 AM »
Maggiemay,

I played football with Waler on the Braniel Primary School team 1960/61, he was our captain.  I still have the school picture and just recently sent a copy to the school for their 50th. anniversary. Sandy and Alex emigrated to Australia just before we left for Canada. We were good friends. I was in Miss Davidson's class, she lived on Wyncroft Way. Do you remember Ian Stevenson, I believe he lived on Ravenswood Park?
Hi I was just thinking the McCartneys went to Austrailia.I am also in Canada,my family still lives in the Braniel we lived right across from Braniel Primary maybe you would remember my wee brother David Ashe he died in 1961 at 7years old my brother Tom also would have gone to BP around your time.Not sure about Ian someone else mentioned Jimmy Armstrong I remember A Jim Armstrong maybe the same person.