Author Topic: Lisnasharragh Secondary  (Read 51550 times)

Val

Re: Lisnasharragh Secondary
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 08:06:47 PM »
Soda Farl,
      I attended Lisnasharragh from 1962 to November 1963, when we emigrated to Canada. I certainly would like to get any info you have on these years. I also lived at 16 Lower Braniel Road and would be interested in hearing from anyone who remembers me. People I remember are Michael Jackson, Walter Dalzel, Norman Lyons, the Fraynes,George Patty and Wilma, Jeffery Ruddick, Henry Douglas, Sandy and Alex MaCartney, Jim Magowan, Lorraine Madison, Renee Meneely.
Regards, Ivor Thompson

Hi Ivor,

I know Loraine Maddison very well, she lives in England, her parents emigrated to Canada and sadly her father passed away a number of years ago. Her sister lives in Canada as well.

Val    

glensmanca

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 01:37:49 AM »
Hi Ivor,

I know Loraine Maddison very well, she lives in England, her parents emigrated to Canada and sadly her father passed away a number of years ago. Her sister lives in Canada as well.

Val    
Val. That's neat, If you are talking to her mention my name. We hung around the Braniel together in the 50's. She left for Canada shortly before we did.
Thanks, Ivor

BobbyM

Re: lisnasharragh/ cregagh
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2009, 08:20:39 PM »
Ahoy you lot from Cregagh Estate did I serve you with your singles and your penny chews in Lord Johns?? Maybe you were paper boys, if so PM me. Maybe your mum paid her papers in the shop or yer dad got the early bus to work in the mornings. Let me know so as I can see how you are all doing now.   My daughters both went to Cregagh Primary and then Lisnasharragh and their photos are on the calendar too but perhaps later than yours. All the best for now.

Hello there grannyspice  I too went to cregagh primary before going to lisnasharragh. Is that "ALLENS" at Greenaway you're talking about - if so then I used to buy lucky bags and cowans toffee etc. etc. there. My name's Magee and we lived in Sheskin way on Southbank! There used to be a bakers shop at the other end of the shops and Iwould be sent to get a pan loaf (before the days of sliced bread) When I got home there'd be a hole in the loaf that I'd picked at all the way home!  But maybe I'm before your time - (dob 1946)

BobbyM

MR. BALDRICK IS ALIVE AND KICKING!
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »
I had a look on the internet for Mr. Baldricks tel. No. and phoned him. He sounded very pleased that I phoned. He said that an old pupil had phoned from the USA.
We had a great wee chat, and I will be phoning him again. The next time when I 'm in N.Ireland he said that I should visit him!
He lost his wife last year and now lives alone .
For me, he was the best teacher in the school.
He did cane us - but we did deserve it.
He reckons if he had to work with todays kids he'd probably end up killing one of them!!

Giannineo

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2009, 09:06:01 PM »
bobbym. tom Snowdon, 28, The Straight, Cregagh.....worked in the yard and rode a Triton

BobbyM

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2009, 10:42:49 PM »
bobbym. tom Snowdon, 28, The Straight, Cregagh.....worked in the yard and rode a Triton

Tom - great to hear from you after 46 years!!!!!!!!!!! Have sent you a PM. 

grannyspice

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2009, 10:54:52 PM »
Hello there grannyspice  I too went to cregagh primary before going to lisnasharragh. Is that "ALLENS" at Greenaway you're talking about

Hello Bobby - yes it sure was Allens and I worked there from 1968 til 1986! I do remember your family though can't say I knew you personally. You were probably working yourself by the time I started there. I was born in 1943 so just a teeny weeny bit older than yourself. You would have known Mrs Scarlett, Mrs Murdie, Emily Kane and Mrs Scott who worked in the shop too. Yes the bakery at the end of the Greenway shops where Sadie Hill and Freda worked. The baker in my time was Violet  Rainey. Do you remember Pat Russell and Jean Latchford from South Bank and the Hylands family? The Cregagh is a great place and especially way back in the 60s etc the families were great. Did Billy Hamilton own the butchers when you were about? A lot of the older families have gone now but I still love it here. My wee granddaughter goes to Cregagh Primary (new school building now). Do you remember Satch? He is still about and still the same character. Was wee Bell Firth at Lisnasharragh the same time as you? She lives near me  too. Could go on and on but must get to my bed. Nite nite

BobbyM

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 08:08:40 AM »
((Hello Bobby - yes it sure was Allens and I worked there from 1968 til 1986!))

Hi Grannyspice,  we left Sheskin Way 1959 or 60 & moved to the top of the Cregagh (the Rocky). But I was always on the estate with my mates. Can't remember any of the names you've written  .the oul grey cells ye know!!. ???
The Hylands family rings a bell though!

Seaviewite

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2009, 02:56:55 PM »
My wife reckons that Mr Baldrick was a great shot with the duster. ???
When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can pr

BobbyM

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2009, 05:24:54 PM »
My wife reckons that Mr Baldrick was a great shot with the duster. ???

He sure was Seaview, but unlike Mr. Mc Neely  (I think that's the right spelling) he wasn't nasty about it, and it was quickly forgotten about!
I'll never forget  Ian Y--- had to get 6 on each hand from Mr. McNeely and he kept pulling his hand away, Mr. McNeely was getting redder in the face   >:(  and Ian ran out of the class and home!

kraftcheese

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 10:14:38 AM »

Tom Snowdon - I remember you!  My name is "Sarah" though I was known back then as "Sandra" Crawford.  I remember Baldrick (whom we called "Baldydick").  To this day, I exchange Christmas cards every year with Miss Marie McCordick who taught us English and French, and she had lunch at my house and went with me to Rottnest Island when she visited Perth (Western Australia) where I lived for 14 years, about 20 years ago.   When I went to N.I. on a visit in 1992, we stayed at her house for a few days and she showed us all around the Fermanagh area as she was a member of the local historical society.  I also sat (and passed) the "College of Preceptors" examination.  
I'm still in touch with a couple of the girls from my class (4th form 1961-'62), one of whom lives here in Melbourne and one in Ontario, Canada.  I got a copy of the school calendar from another old Lisnasharragh friend of mine who lives here in Victoria, Australia, (see earlier post) and saw your photo in there.  My goodness, how time flies, and the old memories live on.  So you're "Giannineo".  You probably don't even remember me as I was a quiet wee girl back then, from the Castlereagh.  :) :)
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

kraftcheese

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 10:51:23 AM »
He sure was Seaview, but unlike Mr. Mc Neely  (I think that's the right spelling) he wasn't nasty about it, and it was quickly forgotten about!
I'll never forget  Ian Y--- had to get 6 on each hand from Mr. McNeely and he kept pulling his hand away, Mr. McNeely was getting redder in the face   >:(  and Ian ran out of the class and home!

Hi Bobby M, his name was Meneilly.  He was my form teacher in first form.  :)

BobbyM

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 10:56:13 AM »
Tom Snowdon - I remember you!  My name is "Sarah" though I was known back then as "Sandra" Crawford.  I remember Baldrick (whom we called "Baldydick").  To this day, I exchange Christmas cards every year with Miss Marie McCordick who taught us English and French, and she had lunch at my house and went with me to Rottnest Island when she visited Perth (Western Australia) where I lived for 14 years, about 20 years ago.   When I went to N.I. on a visit in 1992, we stayed at her house for a few days and she showed us all around the Fermanagh area as she was a member of the local historical society.  I also sat (and passed) the "College of Preceptors" examination.  
I'm still in touch with a couple of the girls from my class (4th form 1961-'62), one of whom lives here in Melbourne and one in Ontario, Canada.  I got a copy of the school calendar from another old Lisnasharragh friend of mine who lives here in Victoria, Australia, (see earlier post) and saw your photo in there.  My goodness, how time flies, and the old memories live on.  So you're "Giannineo".  You probably don't even remember me as I was a quiet wee girl back then, from the Castlereagh.  :) :)

Hi kraftcheese, ...Giannineo is not Tom  - I thought it was at first. And then Giannineo sent me a PM saying that he used to know Tom Through his & Toms Mother.
Iwas in the same class as Tom & we "hung" about together. I also passed the colledge of preceptors exam (big deal) .Instead of taking another subject I chose music as a subject  and as our class didn't have music that term I had to sit with a class of girls for music with Mr. Moore. If you go back to the previous page you'll see our class photo which I posted and there you'll see Tom. I don't know where he is anymore. I've  been in Germany since 1972. I seem to remember your name . all the best robert magee. By the way we called Mr. Baldrick ."oul baldy"

kraftcheese

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »
Aye its closed down Kraffy. Just put a brand new roof on it I hear,and then shortly afterwards they closed it. And of course the greatest footballer the world has ever seen went there. :)

I agree with that RabRow.  I knew George at Nettlefield and at Lisnasharragh.  He was the BEST.

BobbyM

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2009, 11:06:08 AM »
I agree with that RabRow.  I knew George at Nettlefield and at Lisnasharragh.  He was the BEST.

Hi again kraftcheese, you must've known Elisabeth Jamison who lived on the Downshire estate, she went to Lisnasharragh and sang in the choir, and went with Geordie for a while . Later she became the  female vocalist with the Showband I played with.