Author Topic: PHOTO REQUEST - HOLYWOOD PRIORY GRAVESTONE  (Read 432 times)

CMcG

Re: PHOTO REQUEST - HOLYWOOD PRIORY GRAVESTONE
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 05:01:55 PM »
Yes indeed, it was in the Belfast Newsletter of 18th August 1915. I could also readily see newspaper death notices for several of the children listed on the headstone, without wanting to overegg things, the bottom line is that this (placing of death notices) wouldn't have been particularly commonplace for that era and area (on affordability grounds), so it's maybe a reflection of the status attached to John Thompson's job as Coastguard Officer (not least at Cultra), ie. like railway station master, headmaster, that sort of thing.

The one line that jarred in the 'ancestryireland' transcription you originally posted was 'also her son Arthur, who died 4th January 1882, aged 28 years', for it didn't fit the chronology of the other listed deaths on the headstone. I  couldn't make out the writing on that part of headstone I snapped, but the following shows it was 1889 rather than 1882:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1889/06154/4758502.pdf

Belfast Newsletter of 7 January 1889:

jillyfred

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 05:19:42 PM »
What a fantastic happy thread , did my heart good to read this  :)
==
I second that Ali.

jilly

Reg Scribe

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 10:04:51 PM »
Hi again CMcG,

Thanks for the conformation on Mary's death notice.

The fact that Mary seems to have spent a lot of money into the memorial also had me wondering about their status. John ended up as Chief Boatman in Charge at the Cultra Coastguard Station when he died in post, so I presume that he must have left Mary with a Widow's pension.

The transcript I posted was verbatim as I got, and I also spent sometime trying finding Arthur's death registration, which as we both found was 1889, not 1882. Must have been mis-transcribed originally, probably due to weathering, however we got it right in the end.

I had no trouble following the death registration of the other children, except for Frederick Charles, I can't find his death in the civil records,
(his age on the transcription tallies with his birth year though), maybe he was mis-registered or died outside of Ireland?
 I'll try the Belfast Newsletter for his death notice.

Thanks again for all your help,

Reg

CMcG

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 11:33:26 PM »
It is an impressive (and presumably expensive) headstone alright.

Separate death notices in the Belfast Newsletter of 7 March 1891 and Belfast Weekly News of 14 March 1891 corroborate that he died on 6 March at his mother's residence, so I can only imagine that his death went unregistered, for I too could see nothing for him in the GRONI website index or the 'irishgenealogy' website index:

Reg Scribe

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 07:50:40 PM »
Hi CMcG,

Thanks for the latest info on Frederick & the corroboration that his death registration is missing. That seems to wind things up nicely.

Thanks once again for all the help you have given me, and for the time & trouble you took in getting the photo's. I am really grateful.

Best wishes, Reg :)