Author Topic: Connolly/ Walsh family. Portadown, Downpatrick, Lurgan, Ligoniel and Old Park  (Read 773 times)

CherylBernadette

I have the same  certificate for a lizzy Sands and George and like you I went with it based on the addy. I still look for more to prove me wrong but I have yet to find anything to make me 2nd guess that  find

CMcG

... Name Kerr kept popping up Old Park and Bone. I was able to work backwards and by doing so I was able to help them, as much as it helped me. I was able to match the walker link to my Connolly Via her Kerr and Cahoon line ...

Just when you mentioned 'Kerr', I noticed another connection in that the 1913 baptism record for William James Walker says that he went on to marry Madeline Kerr in Holy Cross Church Belfast on 26 September 1936 (the GRONI website index shows the bride's name as Etheline Kerr). According to baptism records...

- another of the Walker children, Agustina, married Patrick Largey in St. Patrick's Belfast on 19 August 1926 (the GRONI website index shows the bride's name as Christina Walker);

- another, Rose Walker (born 3 August 1915), married Joseph Anderson in St. Patrick's Belfast on 7 October 1937;

- another, Elizabeth (born 12 November 1922) married Thomas Conroy in St. Patrick's Belfast on 19 February 1943 (the GRONI website index shows the date as 17 February 1943).

William Walker and Eliza Connolly also had twins Daniel and Minnie on 8 December 1919.

CMcG

... The baptism record address for William James (he was baptised on 1 March 1913 in St. Patrick's Belfast) was simply 30 Stanhope Street.  Baptisms for later children show the Walkers also lived at 14 Stanhope Street and 57 Upper Library Street ...

I thought I recognised the address, it was given as the Walker's address in the baptism records for Daniel and Minnie in 1919 and Elizabeth in 1922, and it ties in perfectly with this piece about Mary Connolly in local newspapers in May 1926:

CMcG

From the street directories available on the Lennon Wylie website (up to 1960), it looks like the Walkers had a long term presence at 57 Upper Library Street, given the Walker marriages to Anderson and Conroy I mentioned previously, just to note several newspaper references that might be relevant:

1961: mention of an 18 year old Noel Conroy with that address;
1960: mention of a young boy Timmy Anderson with that address;
1959: mention of a 50 year old Charles Walker with that address;
1951: mention of the death of a 9 year old John Anderson with that address;
1937: mention of Walker family with that address.

I have also just noticed the death of Daniel's mother in May 1915, the informant was Daniel's sister Eliza Walker:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1915/05275/4464681.pdf

The address 12 Stanhope Street in the above death registration is a match for the address of William Walker in the civil birth registration for daughter Rose just over 2 months later:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1915/01362/1561630.pdf

CMcG

Just when you mentioned 'Kerr', I noticed another connection in that the 1913 baptism record for William James Walker says that he went on to marry Madeline Kerr in Holy Cross Church Belfast on 26 September 1936 (the GRONI website index shows the bride's name as Etheline Kerr) ...

I'm just realising that this marriage I mentioned (above) may be one and the same link you referred to at reply #14 (ie. the other person's Kerr and Cahoon line), for I can see a birth of an Etheline Kerr to parents Patrick Kerr and Ellen Cahoon in 1917, presumably she is the one who went on to marry William James Walker?

CMcG

I can see transcripts of baptisms in St. Patrick's Belfast for the following:

- Jane Connolly born 28 January 1923, baptised 31 January 1923, parents Daniel Connolly and Mary McHugh of 79 Upper Library Street, the sponsor was Elizabeth Deighan;
- twins Elizabeth and John Connolly born 8 December 1924, baptised 9 February 1925, parents Daniel Connolly and Mary McHugh of 71 Upper Library Street, the sponsors were Margaret J McAlester and Agustine Walker respectively.

Aaahhhh! So that is who Agustine Walker is (ie. Daniel's niece), it's amazing how the little details tie this all together...

CherylBernadette

Etheline Kerr is the mother of the lady who I was helping - the one who was a strong DNA match to myself and my aunt Jean RIP. It was her husband whos helping her find her family. The daughter of Etheline is in poor health so the husband is doing all the legwork. They live in the USA now as well.  All I had when I first started was [/size]Ethelines name, her husbands name and the daughters names. [/size]Etheline was born in 1917 she passed in 2011 in England. She as married to William James Walker who was born abt 1913 and passed in 1964.  Beyond this they had no real info. This is how I was able to find more on my own family by helping them and working backwards. Seems that's the key :D   When looking for my own I get tunnel vision. When helping others I can see things clearly and end up tripping over my own with ease

CherylBernadette

Thats it I give up. How much do you charge?  Im paying you to go and  find my stuff.  Not sure if this will work. Some say its hit and miss when posting a tree link from a IP addy outside of the UK.  should open to what I have on the Kerrs.   https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/152345078/family

CMcG

I'm probably running dry now in terms of further information.

But it is fascinating, particularly on the Walker side, how we came at this from different directions, you having worked back on behalf of the person you were helping, me working forward from what I thought was a good candidate for Daniel Connolly in 1901, then arriving at the same point, that's a pretty good validation for both of us.   :)

CMcG

From the street directories available on the Lennon Wylie website (up to 1960), it looks like the Walkers had a long term presence at 57 Upper Library Street, given the Walker marriages to Anderson and Conroy I mentioned previously, just to note several newspaper references that might be relevant:

1961: mention of an 18 year old Noel Conroy with that address;
1960: mention of a young boy Timmy Anderson with that address;
1959: mention of a 50 year old Charles Walker with that address ... ... ...

I did wonder if this (above) was the same person as the 4 year old Charles Walker shown as the son of William Walker and Eliza Connolly in the 1911 census return I previously posted (re-posted for convenience):
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Court_Ward/Woodford_Street/150187/

I have since found another 1959 newspaper article covering the same story, in short, the story is that Charles and family were being evicted from their house at 116 Upper Library Street because there was a demolition order on it, and they therefore went to live temporarily with relatives at 57 Upper Library Street.

The 1959 article, talking about Charles, said that 'The family is that of Mr Charles Walker, a 50-year-old chef, and his two sons and daughters, Charles (19), Elizabeth (18), Angelo (16) and Noreen (13).  His wife is a hospital patient'

A transcript of the 1906 baptism record for Charles Walker born to William Walker and Eliza Connolly was subsequently annotated to say that he married M.C. Durkin on 25 September 1937, the GRONI website index shows a marriage (registered Belfast district) for a Charles Walker and Mary Durkin on that date.

CherylBernadette

I'm just realising that this marriage I mentioned (above) may be one and the same link you referred to at reply #14 (ie. the other person's Kerr and Cahoon line), for I can see a birth of an Etheline Kerr to parents Patrick Kerr and Ellen Cahoon in 1917, presumably she is the one who went on to marry William James Walker?

You are good. Yes you are on the money. Same ones.  Sadly I haven't been able to find anything beyond Ellen Cahoon for them and that's the line they wanted to know more about the most. I know why its been so hard for them now. I have stopped looking for a tad, just to give myself a rest so I can go back with fresh eye here soon.

CherylBernadette

Aaahhhh! So that is who Agustine Walker is (ie. Daniel's niece), it's amazing how the little details tie this all together...

Slightly off topic but I wanted to show you this. Have you seen this before? Look at the family (not mine, helping someone) look at the address and year on the census reports

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/Seaforde_Street/222939/

and  this one

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Ormeau/Imperial_Street/214462/

CMcG

Same folk alright, looks like they were in the process of moving (the online street directories don't cast any light on it), I have encountered duplicate entries several times.  By the following year I suspect they all had moved to Redcar Street (birth of Mary Lennon below) ...

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1912/01484/1604290.pdf

... the same address where Frances McKane died in 1916:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/05239/4451398.pdf