Author Topic: samuel gibson work house records  (Read 203 times)

fred g

samuel gibson work house records
« on: April 13, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »
I have the death of a samuel gibson 31 Jan 1903 in Belfast work house his address was given on cert., 33 richmond st. Belfast. He is not in 1901 cenus and I'm trying to find out when he entered workhouse and which one as I believe there was two Clifton street and the old city hospital site. who would hold records?

CMcG

Re: samuel gibson work house records
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 04:28:39 PM »
Can't answer your question regarding workhouse records, but just checking you know that he may be the father of Francis who married Mary Ellen Wright in 1889, shown as widower here?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Court_Ward/Richmond_Street/947080/

The Lennon Wylie website 1901 street directory for Richmond Street shows:  33. Gibson, Frank

Samuel buried here:
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=E1&GraveNumber=261&CemeteryName=City%20Cemetery

The 1901 census has a 70 year old 'S G' in the City Hospital, Brickmaker, Church of Ireland, a maybe (yes, I know that doesn't match the death registration occupation).

fred g

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:55:59 PM »
Thanks for taking time to help, the information on samuel's son etc is spot on. over the years his job has changed on his wedding 1852 he is a weaver and also a groom.unfortunately his birth has been a a total brick wall.he had five children to a margaret patterson who I believe died in gilford  october 1865
I will ask proni if they have records for city hospital work house thanks again

Elwyn

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 03:02:58 PM »
I have the death of a samuel gibson 31 Jan 1903 in Belfast work house his address was given on cert., 33 richmond st. Belfast. He is not in 1901 cenus and I'm trying to find out when he entered workhouse and which one as I believe there was two Clifton street and the old city hospital site. who would hold records?

Belfast only had one Poor Law Union workhouse. It was on the Lisburn Rd and, as I think you know, it was where the City Hospital is. (After the main workhouse was closed down, the infirmary bit kept going and was absorbed into the fledgling NHS. Thatís why the City Hospital is where it is today).

The Belfast workhouse admission records are in PRONI on microfilm. If you can go there in person you could search for Samuelís admission. PRONI might do a search for you but they donít like trawling searches as they can take up a lot of time (and will prove quite expensive for you. They charge something along the lines of £18 per 15 minutes).  You might need to go yourself or pay a researcher to go.

Elwyn

fred g

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 08:57:08 PM »
elwyn thanks for your input on my request for help very much appreciated will try to get to proni next time wife goes to belfast