Author Topic: WALKER family on St. Kilda Street  (Read 288 times)

PMcLow

WALKER family on St. Kilda Street
« on: April 16, 2019, 05:15:43 AM »
Does anyone know the Walker families who lived at #2 and #18 St. Kilda Street, Belfast? (Circa 1920-1960)
I can't locate them after 1960.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CMcG

Re: WALKER family on St. Kilda Street
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:57:18 AM »
I don't know them, but I can move things forward to 1977 with the following local newspaper death notice:

WALKER, ANNIE - May 6, 1977, at Hospital, dearly beloved mother of Henry, Gladys and Florence, 18 St. Kilda Street.  House private.  Funeral service in Wilton's Funeral Home, Woodstock Road, on Tuesday, 10th inst., at 1.45, afterwards to Roselawn Crematorium. - Very deeply regretted by her sorrowing Family Circle.

Based on the above names, the following extract from death notices in 1979 look as if they might be related:

McAFEE, WILLIAM JOHN - April 13, 1979, at Hospital, dearly-beloved husband of Florence and beloved father of William and Louise, 50 Rosebery Gardens.  Funeral service in Wilton's Funeral Home, Woodstock Road, on Tuesday, at 10.45 a.m. and afterwards to Roselawn Crematorium. - Very deeply regretted by his loving Wife, Son, Daughter and Family Circle   beloved father of Ann(e/a?).  Deeply regretted by his loving Daughter and Son-in-law David, 39 Parker Street ... beloved father of Elizabeth.  Deeply regretted by his loving Daughter, Son-in-law George, and Grandson George, Canada ... Deeply regretted by his Brother-in-law Henry Walker, also Sister-in-law and Brother-in-law, Gladys and Charles McKay.

There is also just a mention of a Mrs Florence McAfee of Rosebery Gardens in a local newspaper article of January 1982.

PMcLow

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 02:38:58 PM »
CMcG...you are an angel!!! Thank you ever so much!! I have a newspaper UK subscription but I was never able to find any obits. This helps my family tree so much. Thank you for all of your help. Much appreciated!
Patty (Canada)

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 04:29:41 PM »
No problem, I also noticed a brief mention of a Gladys McKay of Ravenhill Road in a December 1983 Belfast newspaper, possibly the previously mentioned one, since it is in the same general area. Glad to have posted and fingers crossed that you get something more from somebody who knew them or about them.

PMcLow

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 03:15:09 PM »
Thank you again, CMcG. I checked the newspaper site again and this time I used some suggested searching skills. I was able to find more obits, etc.. I did see the picture that you mentioned in your post. Thanks again for all your kind help.
Regards, Patty

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 04:27:00 PM »
You're welcome  :)