Author Topic: Mary Jane Allen nee McCullan  (Read 1724 times)

Seasons

Re: Mary Jane Allen nee McCullan
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2019, 06:26:34 PM »
Gentlemen. Just arrived back after a few days away!

Splad  It really was CMcG who did the lions share of all this research, i think we can both agree we certainly wouldn't of unearthed a fraction of it if he handn't stepped in.

Once again Thank you so much its been a total eye opener and has shed so much light concerning my Adotped Grandmother her mother and their families. I certainly think even though i'm not related by blood I have inherited a few of those Peripatetic Genes, bit of a nomade! and for that i am pretty happy.

Many Thanks CMcG

Seasons

CMcG

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2019, 11:25:13 PM »
Thank you.  :)

Splad

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2019, 05:59:45 PM »
Hi All

Pleased to say that I have just received Joseph's marriage registration and despite wrongly recording his wife's father's name as Joseph, all else fits, albeit a little difficult to read the script. Date I think says Jany. or it might be May! 1850. Location is Castletownshend in the Parish of Castlehaven. Joseph recorded as a "seaman"; his father James as "Chief Boatman Coastguard". Wife is Anne Batterham, described as a servant. Father described as a "Steward". Joseph and Anne residing in Castletownshend. The church is the Parish Church, I assume St Barrahane's Church. Confirmation of my Great Great Grandmother is very rewarding.

Once again CMcG, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Splad

CMcG

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2019, 10:33:04 PM »

... Joseph recorded as a "seaman"; his father James as "Chief Boatman Coastguard" ...

Excellent stuff.  :)

Splad

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2019, 09:47:41 AM »
Good morning CMcG

I've got hooked now! Following the revelations and discoveries about the McCullen FH and Joseph's family in particular, I have been trying, without success to tidy up some loose ends. I was wondering if you might be able to locate any of the following references or documents which are proving (for me anyway) to be rather elusive:

Anne Batterham (McCullen) Death. I have no idea when she died, but I would think it was in Kingstown/Monkstown.

William McCullen (Joseph's son) Birth registration (1861). William was my Great Grandfather and I have many photos of him and even the original Death Registration. But I would like to be able to get hold of his Birth Registration. His Coastguard Record shows him born in Monkstown (I'm guessing Kelly's Avenue where his younger brother was born).

Joseph's Birth/baptism details - Born in Blackhead near Belfast in 1831 or thereabouts.

James, Joseph's father: Anything really. He was born in 1799, no idea where and he died in 1873 Portaferry and is interred in a family grave in Ballyphillip Churchyard. News announcement described him as a retired Harbourmaster (confirmed on daughter Ellen's Marriage Certificate) although he was a life-long Coastguard.

Anything about his first wife, Sarah. A Gravestone inscription in Ballyphillip or Templecraney Graveyard reads:"Erected by Jas McCullen of HMCG in memory of his wife and son Sarah and James, the former who died 17th September 1836 aged 37 years and the latter who died young". I think the young James who died was born in 1826.

It would be great if you could locate any of this.

Thanks.

Splad (McCullen)

CMcG

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »
The problem is that we're heading back into an age where the records simply may not be available.  But let me have a look...  :) 

Splad

« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 08:07:39 AM »
Much appreciated.