Author Topic: WELL,... sing if you're glad to be gay, and are a DUP political candidate !  (Read 1304 times)

jillyfred

With respect Peter, I feel others who have a different view should be free to voice it-which was all I was saying in my post.

The D.U.P.-of which I am not either a member or supporter-have within that Party many people who adhere to the original
formation -it was a religious party.

Therefore,they feel strongly that a person of a different gender from the normal -as they see it-should be chosen to represent their Party.

That others are `blasť`about it, and are okay with it, is not really relevant ,as its doubtful ,they, like myself, are either
Members or Supporters.

Its for the D.U.P. to sort out-and really `outside`negative opinions towards those who feel differently are better not uttered-afterall-it is none of their business to be frank-IMHO.

jilly

James James

No,... the DUP isn't a religious Party,... it's a political Party,... and it's one which trys to use it's political power to impose the religious views and beliefs that it and many of it's members hold, on other citizens who don't share those same religious beliefs.

It also misuses a uniquely Ulster pro civil rights and anti sectarian political  parliamentary provision to do that with,... i.e. the Petition of Right,... which was never intended to be misused for that purpose.

They misused that provision to block laws which apply in the rest of Britain, and which a huge majority of the U.K. electorate support, and the introduction of which in Ulster are also supported by a huge majority of the Ulster electorate.

I can't think of any other part of Britain in which behaviour like that by any political Party would be tolerated by the electorate, and wouldn't provoke huge public outrage and opposition.

James James

BBC text and video news report.

"8 May 2019"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-48205618

"Free Presbyterian minister criticises DUP over gay candidate"

"A video has emerged that shows a Free Presbyterian minister criticising the DUP for selecting Alison Bennington to stand in the council elections."

"Ms Bennington, the DUP's first openly gay politician, was elected to Antrim and Newtownabbey Council on Friday."

"In a sermon last month, Rev John Greer of the Free Presbyterian Church in Ballymena, referred to the party's decision to choose her."

Number26

Are they not entitled to have THEIR beliefs?

James James

IF the objections of some DUP members to some particular aspect of another DUP member or candidate, had been prompted by their personal objection to that person's religious denomination for example, or their ethnicity or skin colour., I wonder if the claimed justification for, and the claimed validity of their objections, would have received much public endorsement, support, and defence.

I rather suspect that Arlene would agree with the sentiments of the author of the article.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/fionola-meredith/fionola-meredith-arlene-foster-has-a-duty-to-protect-dups-first-openly-gay-councillor-in-word-and-deed-38096187.html

Quote,...

Does the election of Alison Bennington, the DUP's first openly gay councillor, mean that the party is finally getting over its bizarre hang-ups over homosexuality ?

Fulminating about the supposed evils of being gay was once the party's calling card, going right back to the days of 'Save Ulster from Sodomy'.

Being aggressively anti-gay assumed a vast symbolic importance: like opposition to abortion, it became an integral part of the DUP's purity myth.

Even then, it was not entirely clear why the idea of men being attracted to other men, or women liking other women - though they never seemed quite so bothered about the ladies snuggling up - got the DUPers in quite such a puce-faced tizzy.

I mean, what did any of this have to do with preserving the Union ?

In more recent years, the party's weird compulsion to promote itself as 100% heterosexual has manifested itself less in offensive language.

Fortunately, it's been a while since anyone has felt compelled to gulder the word 'abomination', at least in public.

None of its representatives, since Iris Robinson, have called up radio shows to suggest that gay people seek the services of a "very lovely psychiatrist" to turn them straight.

Dot/dash

Are they not entitled to have THEIR beliefs?

indeed              live and  let live               therer are those who thrive on conflict          .
love me          love my gelding     

Billy Fish

his choice             isn't it           

Indeed it is, people must respect other people's views.  :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

James James

indeed              live and  let live               there are those who thrive on conflict 
Which is pretty much the same as what the LGBGT community and their supporters are saying and asking for,... both as legal, civil, and societal rights. !

James James

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dups-jim-wells-could-be-disciplined-over-gay-councillor-remarks-38081676.html

"DUP's Jim Wells could be disciplined over gay councillor remarks"

"DUP Leader Arlene Foster has said her party will have to consider comments made by former Stormont Minister Jim Wells after the election of gay DUP candidate Alison Bennington as a councillor."

"Mr Wells, who is a DUP MLA for South Down, criticised the selection of Ms Bennington as a party candidate."

"Arlene Foster said her party will look at a number of issues including "bad behaviour" by party members once the dust settles after last week's Northern Ireland local elections."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQU0TugySoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ

Dot/dash

Which is pretty much the same as what the LGBGT community and their supporters are saying and asking for,... both as legal, civil, and societal rights. !

and if you're going to include the LBTGT lot         .         don't  forget the most vulnerable of all       .

the unborn children        .     
love me          love my gelding     

James James

and if you're going to include the LBTGT lot         .         don't  forget the most vulnerable of all       . the unborn children
The successful DUP member and candidate is gay,... and that's what the internal opposition to her DUP membership and candidature that was and is being expressed by some DUP members  was prompted by and referred  to.

The issue of the DUP's policy and beliefs about legally permitted abortion in Northern Ireland had nothing to do with that opposition and criticism or with the counter opinions that were and are being expressed to such criticism by the Northern Ireland LGBTQ community and their supporters in Northern Ireland and elsewhere.