Author Topic: Susanna(Susan)Murdock and John Murdock  (Read 299 times)

Seasons

Susanna(Susan)Murdock and John Murdock
« on: May 08, 2019, 03:31:15 PM »
I am heping RSL who lives in Australia with a few details concerning her Great Aunt Susan Murdock. Beach Cottage Gilnahirk.

Her husband John died from a Gardening Accident 3/5/1946. A inquest was held into his death on the 8/5/1946 - Can I obtain the Inquest Report from PRONI?

Susan died only 3hours after her husband's funeral at her home - Beach Cottage.

They both married on the 4/12/1912 at Knock Presbyterian Church.

Susan came from Newry where she lived with her brother (William) and sister until their Mother died and then the family were split and scattered.

Could someone help find the brother William? He moved to Belfast to marry in 1914 - had a daughter in 1915. After this point it's been difficult to trace him.

A advert was placed in the paper ( not sure which one) asking for any family to come forward after Susan's death, not sure if anyone did.

Beach Cottage was up for sale 6months after Susan died.

Any help would be most welcomed

Seasons

Elwyn

Re: Susanna(Susan)Murdock and John Murdock
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:20:28 PM »
Inquests for the Belfast area for 1946 should be in PRONI under ref: BELF/6/1/1/11

The inquest was reported in the Belfast Telegraph of 8th May 1946. John was high up a tree cutting branches in Mrs Daleís garden at 140 Kensington Rd, Belfast. One branch gave way and he fell, injuring himself fatally.

In case you donít have them, here are the probate abstracts for the 2 deaths, from the PRONI wills site. The files themselves should be in PRONI in paper format:

Murdock John of Lower Braniel Tullycarnett Gilnahirk county Down gardener died 3 May 1946 at the Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast Administration Belfast 24 October to Robert Armstrong Corscadden chief crown solicitor for Northern Ireland. £1905 0s. 3d.

Murdock Susanna of Beech Cottage Lower Braniel Gilnahirk county Down widow died 6 May 1946 Administration Belfast 14 November to William John Marshall labourer. Effects £287 14s. 2d.

You will note that Susanís brother William was still alive in 1946 (he was the administrator for her estate). The probate file should contain his address. You could then use the street directories to trace forward a bit.

Is this Susan with siblings in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Newry_Rural/Commons/1245344/[/color]

And in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/King_s_Road/228581/

I can see 2 children to Williamís marriage to Annabella Chambers:

Elizabeth May Marshall 18.5.1914
William Marshall 22.1.1917.

There may have been others later but they arenít searchable on-line yet. You could do so in PRONI though.

Elwyn

RSL

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 06:49:45 AM »
To Seasons and Elwyn,

A big thank you for your invaluable help.
It is good to know that William and Annabella had children(Looks like Susanna and John didn't)
I will try to find out what became of them.You have certainly provided plenty of food for thought.
My late Mother would have loved to have known this as she was told very little about her relatives.

I had previously researched "The Newry" connection (with some help from the good people here) and was able to relate this to my
Mother before she died.
Many thanks. RSL.

Seasons

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »
Many Thanks Elwyn.

The information you posted yesterday, I was able to see a Love Story between Husband and Wife - which warmed my heart concerning this lovely couple! one not able to go on without the other - i totally get that!

Good to see they married in 1912 and Susan was able to leave 'Service' from the 1911 Census. 

In the blink of a eye, it can all change.

Many Thanks

Seasons

Elwyn

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 10:21:30 AM »
Many Thanks Elwyn.

The information you posted yesterday, I was able to see a Love Story between Husband and Wife - which warmed my heart concerning this lovely couple! one not able to go on without the other - i totally get that!

Good to see they married in 1912 and Susan was able to leave 'Service' from the 1911 Census. 

In the blink of a eye, it can all change.

Many Thanks

Seasons

For an unmarried woman in Co Down in the early 1900s there were really just 2 employment options. One was working in a mill (Belfast had about 50 mills and tens of thousands of women worked there). The other was service. Todayís equivalents might be working in a call centre or stacking shelves in a supermarket. In the 1800s and early 1900s marriage must have been about the only way the average woman could change her way of life.

Elwyn