Author Topic: Belfast Place-mames: Tiger's Bay, Whiteroick and Turf Lodge  (Read 387 times)

ROCKY ROAD

Hi folks, I am looking into sources of Belfast place-names and am a bit stumped by Tiger's Bay, Whiterock and Turf Lodge (although I believe it was called after a farm of that name). Any ideas, anyone?

CMcG

CMcG

Re: Belfast Place-mames: Tiger's Bay, Whiteroick and Turf Lodge
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 10:24:21 AM »
Turf Lodge was built on the lands of a farm with that name, you can see below that in 1901 it was open countryside:

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
It is somewhat ironic that the following is the earliest newspaper reference I could find to the area, it was from the Belfast Telegraph of  July 1945:

stiofan

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 03:54:03 PM »
I always assumed the Tiger's Bay got its name the same way that Tiger Bay in Cardiff did: "The name `Tiger Bay' was applied in popular literature and slang (especially that of sailors) to any dock or seaside neighbourhood which shared a similar notoriety for danger." (Wikipedia)

brixmis

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 05:13:41 PM »
I always assumed the Tiger's Bay got its name the same way that Tiger Bay in Cardiff did: "The name `Tiger Bay' was applied in popular literature and slang (especially that of sailors) to any dock or seaside neighbourhood which shared a similar notoriety for danger." (Wikipedia)
Exactly how I understood it got it's name too.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

ROCKY ROAD

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 10:14:26 PM »
Thank you very much, folks - this all rings true!

GandT

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 05:57:31 PM »
Thank you very much, folks - this all rings true!

Wondering if the Turf Lodge was a translation of an original Irish word. The modern road nearby is 'Monagh Road' -moin; mona [Irish for 'turf'] and other places are 'Ardnamonagh' and 'Aitnamona'. I don't know whether this echoes very old Irish names for the place or if it is a modern translation of an English placename!

CMcG

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:06:49 PM »

Wondering if the Turf Lodge was a translation of an original Irish word. The modern road nearby is 'Monagh Road' -moin; mona [Irish for 'turf'] and other places are 'Ardnamonagh' and 'Aitnamona'. I don't know whether this echoes very old Irish names for the place or if it is a modern translation of an English placename!

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a992018710699896544a413/t/5a99608d9140b7c6b3cedca5/1520001167104/West+Belfast+%28including+parts+of+Lisburn%29+%28C.+Dunbar%29.pdf