Author Topic: George McFarland  (Read 2023 times)

Shas

George McFarland
« on: May 10, 2019, 09:25:54 PM »
George McFarland (Father was George McFarland...shoemaker) was a labourer...as shown on his marriage certificate. He married Annie Spence...a minor (her father was Hugh Spence...labourer) at Willowfield Church on 13th July 1885.
Has anyone got any information on [size=78%]any of these people please. Iíd like to find a burial record for any of these and assume it would be in Willowfield Church Yard. There is some evidence to suggest that George died as a casualty of war 14 July 1915 but on that Memorial certificate it states an Agnes as his wife. Annie did die in 1913 so possible but on other records..1914..it states wife as deceased and daughter still living at home as dependant. So Iím finding it difficult to clarify his death. A re ord of his death at Willowfield  hutch would clarify things either way. I hope someone can help me.[/size]

CMcG

Re: George McFarland
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 02:52:04 AM »
The George who died as a casualty of war on 14 July 1915 is a different person.

By the sounds of it, you may already know where Annie (Spence) McFarland is buried (ie. in grave E4 559 in Dundonald cemetery, along with other relatives):
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=E4&GraveNumber=559&CemeteryName=Dundonald%20Cemetery

George McFarland is also buried in Dundonald cemetery, in the same grave (E2 236) are his daughter 'Jean' (ie. Jennie) and son-in-law James Dillon who married in 1922:
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialSearch.aspx?GraveSection=E2&GraveNumber=236&CemeteryName=Dundonald%20Cemetery

After Annie (Spence) McFarland died in 1913, George remarried, to an Elizabeth Grant on 14 April 1914:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1914/09845/5574978.pdf

Five months later on 8 September 1914, George signed up in Belfast for the Royal Irish Rifles, claiming that he was just under 35 years of age. It's definitely him, for he cites his next of kin as his mother Sarah Ann of 14 Rowland Street. Curiously, he gives his wife's details as Anne Spence (deceased) together with the marriage details, there is no mention of the wife Elizabeth he married 5 months previously.  The only child cited is Jennie (his other daughter Minnie / Mary Matilda had married James Sterling the previous year and daughter Elizabeth married William Robinson in 1909).  Anyway, his claimed age of 35 caught up with him some months later on 28 February 1915, when a medical examination determined that he was closer to 50 and too old for service, and he was discharged.

Shas

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 10:14:31 AM »
WOW!  Thank you! Are you a relative?

I have tried for so long to join the dots ....I guessed he couldnít be the George who died as a casualty of war but couldnít confirm anything. 

Shas

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 10:24:59 AM »
The only question is that ĎJeaní and James have different addresses and they only died a year apart. In fact everyone in that grave has a different address even though they are related. Do have any idea why this would be? Possibly James moved in with a relative when widowed?

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 10:53:22 AM »

WOW!  Thank you! Are you a relative?

I have tried for so long to join the dots ....I guessed he couldnít be the George who died as a casualty of war but couldnít confirm anything.

No, not related.   :)   I knew he couldn't be the George who died in the war because I was able to determine who that other George was, it was then I started rooting about for a death post war...

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 11:09:33 AM »

The only question is that ĎJeaní and James have different addresses and they only died a year apart. In fact everyone in that grave has a different address even though they are related. Do have any idea why this would be? Possibly James moved in with a relative when widowed?

In my experience there's nothing really unusual about this, for as much as some people lived at a particular address for years, they could also frequently move around at other times and for some families, staying at the same address for a material number of years just never happened at all.  There are many reasons why addresses might differ, even over a short timeframe, in this case for example, a widow or widower might move house shortly after a spouse's death for a fresh start away from old memories, to downsize or, as you say, to go and live with a relative.

In this instance, one of the death notices for James Dillon (in the Belfast Telegraph) clarifies the situation:

Shas

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 11:16:03 AM »
Wow thank you!

You are amazing at this!

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 11:26:37 AM »
You're welcome.  :)

Shas

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 12:48:35 PM »
Hi....I wonder if you could help me and throw any light on this next query.

George McFaland we discussed above....his Father George McFarland b 1836 and apparently died when living at 14 Rowland Street (all the information I have) was married to Sarah Ann Baird. Her father was Samuel Baird b abt 1813 and according to one source Iíve been shared died 29 Sep 1867 in 92 Charles St South, Belfast.[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]
I canít find a good probable wife for Samuel and mother of Sarah Ann Baird. [/font][/size]
I have found that there were 3 daughters and Sarah Ann, Eliza Jane and Rachel....Iím sure there were probably more.[/font][/size]
Someone thinks she may have had a brother Thomas as on his mc, apparently, a witness is Andrew Richmond who Eliza married. They havenít shared the certificate record with me yet so going by what they have shared.[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]
Have you any thoughts. I hope you donít mind me asking but seemed so good at this.[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]
Cheers[/font][/size]
Sharon[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]

Shas

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 11:19:18 PM »
I seem to have done something wrong....will learn how to post here on more open forum.

Shas

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 10:28:22 AM »
Understand that you donít want to reply.

Shas

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 10:29:14 AM »
Anyone else out there researching this family thread?

CMcG

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 06:03:40 PM »
Hello, just noticed your post, I'm juggling a few things at the moment with this pastime (and trying to avail of the few days nice weather we've had), I'll try to post back soon unless others beat me to it.  :)

Shas

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 01:37:33 PM »
Thank you.

James James

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 04:30:03 PM »