Author Topic: George McFarland  (Read 1998 times)

Shas

Re: George McFarland
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2019, 05:04:22 AM »
Thank you for this...I don’t think it is the same family but will look into it some more.

CMcG

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2019, 10:30:20 AM »
Just to say up front that you are back into an era (pre civil registration) where there often simply aren't the records to determine anything conclusively.  Where records do exist, they often fall short of what one would like in terms of detail, for example, baptismal records might only identify the father and if the mother is mentioned, more likely than not without her maiden name.  Likewise, church marriage records might only identify the bride and groom, nothing else. And of course, what is available online is only a small subset of what is available offline.

Just to recap the marriage.  George McFarland married Sarah Ann Baird in St. Anne's Church of Ireland Belfast on 2 December 1858.  Bachelor George was recorded as a 22 year old shoemaker and his father George McFarland was given as a gardener.  Spinster Sarah Ann was recorded as a 21 year old stitcher and her father Samuel was given as a land steward. The address of both bride and groom was given simply as Belfast and the witnesses were a Charles Baird and Maria Baird.

Later (ie. post civil registration) children included:

George b. 1864 @ Ballymena:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03598/2326844.pdf

James b. 1870 @ Belfast:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1870/03363/2233411.pdf

Anna Leah b. 1872 @ Belfast:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1872/03226/2182647.pdf

In the last two birth registrations in Belfast, note the address of 14 Tea Lane.  Tea Lane later became known (c. 1880s-) as Rowland Street, hence their later address of 14 Rowland Street.  In 1976 that street contained the oldest surviving terrace houses in Belfast and for that reason 6 houses from the street were dismantled and moved to the Ulster Folk Museum in 1976 - you can see a photo and a bit about them here:
https://www.nmni.com/our-museums/Ulster-Folk-Museum/Things-to-see/Labourers-houses-Tea-Lane.aspx

Also a bit about them here (including photo) in this topic:
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4049.180   

Google will bring back other photos of the 'Tea Lane' houses moved to the museum.

CMcG

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2019, 11:01:57 AM »
The following two links contain a range of Belfast street directories over the years:
https://streetdirectories.proni.gov.uk/
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/index.htm

Here are three examples from those, a newspaper article of October 1879 reported the name change from Tea Lane to Rowland Street:

1870 - Tea Lane:
14 McFarran, Geo., shoemaker

1877 - Tea Lane:
14 McFarland, Geo., shoemaker

1884 - Rowland Street:
14 McFarland, S.A., smoother

CMcG

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2019, 11:15:03 AM »
Just as an aside, I couldn't help but notice that both mother and son were badly burned in separate incidents nearly 20 years apart...

1879:

1898:

CMcG

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2019, 04:41:53 PM »
Hi, I'm not privy to what you know or what has been shared with you etc., so I'm in the dark and I'm therefore conscious that I may be simply repeating other efforts, but from the information provided, I think I can at least understand the train of thought behind the idea that the Samuel Baird who was recorded as the father of Sarah Ann Baird who married George McFarland in Belfast in 1858 also had daughters Rachel and Eliza Jane.

Sarah Ann's father Samuel Baird was recorded in that 1858 record of marriage to George McFarland, as a 'land steward'.

When an 18 year old Rachel Baird of Harryville Ballyclug married John Martin in 1857, her father was stated as Samuel Baird, Steward. When a 19 year old Eliza Jane Baird of Ballykeel Ballyclug married Andrew Richmond in 1858, her father was stated as Samuel Baird, Land Steward.

Then one adds in the fact that George M(a)cFarlane and Annie Spence had a daughter Elizabeth Richmond in 1886...
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1886/02584/1955230.pdf 

Is this where you're coming from?

Shas

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2019, 05:00:56 PM »
Yes that’s right. Thank you for all of the information....I’ve found the newspaper article re Tea Lane changing to Rowland Street. Also found the Tea Lane residents and working my way through.

Still processing[size=78%] the info you gave me....will update when my brain has registered it all. Cheers[/size]

Shas

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 05:20:34 PM »
Quick question.....how often did they do these street directories etc?

CMcG

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2019, 08:57:37 PM »

Quick question.....how often did they do these street directories etc?

Every year, but the lead time process towards publication, as I understand it, was 6 months to 1 year, so a directory published as 1899 may reflect actuality in 1898 - I think it was like painting the Forth Bridge.

CMcG

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »
The following looks like a sister to the George McFarland who married Annie Spence, note the bride's address and father's details, I initially thought one of the witnesses was 'Redmond', but on reflection it could be 'Richmond':
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/11006/8024352.pdf

The first child to this couple was named Samuel John Baird Hagans, Sarah A. McFarland was the informant present at birth at 14 Rowland St:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1882/02774/2018445.pdf

Again an interesting co-incidence... when land steward Samuel Baird died on 29 September 1867 at 92 Charles Street South, this was the very same day that Eliza Jane Richmond, the daughter of Andrew Richmond and Eliza Jane Baird, was born 6 doors up the street at no. 104, the informant for both the death and the birth registration was Eliza Jane Richmond of 104 Charles Street South, she registered them on the same day (24 October):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1867/03467/2273452.pdf

Shas

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2019, 11:14:03 PM »
I don’t know how you do it! It took me absolutely ages to get the information I have and connect them. Thank you.

Shas

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
I am finding it tricky using the street directory. Do I concentrate on using the Belfast Ulster or do I trawl through them all. Sometimes it shows commercial and I want a name and address, for example....Samuel Baird 92 Charles Street South, Belfast.

Is there a god/ better way of going about this?

Shas

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 10:26:12 PM »
I thought you’d be interested to know....re the 2 newspaper articles re mother and son 10 years apart: I sent it to someone I recently connected with...they’ve been researching for 10 years and had never seen them.....Asked me..How on Earth did you find that!  :P

CMcG

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 12:25:11 PM »

I am finding it tricky using the street directory. Do I concentrate on using the Belfast Ulster or do I trawl through them all. Sometimes it shows commercial and I want a name and address, for example....Samuel Baird 92 Charles Street South, Belfast.

Is there a god/ better way of going about this?

TBH I've never had an issue with the Lennon Wylie website as the directories have been manually transcribed so anything you search for is ordinary text that was keyed in by someone reading the directory.  In addition, website navigation is easy, what with the various directory years listed at the top of the 'home page' that then take you to an alphabetic index of streets for any selected year.

However, the PRONI street directories are a different kettle of fish, navigation to directories is primarily by way of a 'drop down' list but the biggest difference is that any searches you make are based on a scanned image of the directory which optical character recognition (OCR) software has then translated - the resultant OCR text is nowhere near 100% accurate (for all sorts of reasons, the quality of the print, the font used etc.), and this means, for example, that you can go looking for the name 'Samuel Baird' in a particular directory and not find it because the OCR software translated it as 'Samuel Beird'. The various newspaper archive websites operate on the same basis, the OCR software allows them relatively quickly to upload huge amounts of material translated from the scanned image, the downside is the inaccuracy of the software translation.

In the example you mention, unless the words Samuel Baird 92 Charles Street South, Belfast appear verbatim in the directory, then you will get no hits, better to keep as short as possible and search for Samuel Baird, or Baird, Samuel (and select 'Exact' in each case, or you will get back every instance of Samuel or Baird, 100s of them) or simply look for Charles Street South over the years.  BTW, I noticed a few hits for Richmond, Andrew.

Shas

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 12:28:03 PM »
Thank you again. Here I go....more joy this time hopefully. :o

CMcG

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 12:32:23 PM »

I thought you’d be interested to know....re the 2 newspaper articles re mother and son 10 years apart: I sent it to someone I recently connected with...they’ve been researching for 10 years and had never seen them.....Asked me..How on Earth did you find that!  :P

By separate searches for 14 Tea Lane and 14 Rowland Street - you can see I was lucky with the former result, for the 14 was actually his age, but it has to be him, for the age is right and it is unlikely that there were 2 George McFarlanes of that age in Tea Lane at that time.

An observation in relation to these two burning incidents is that the Tea Lane / Rowland Street houses were very dark inside due to the no. and size of the windows (several of the online links about Tea Lane / Rowland Street make this point), leaving me to surmise that oil lamps had to be used a lot of the time.