Author Topic: George McFarland  (Read 2024 times)

Shas

Re: George McFarland
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2019, 03:00:34 PM »
Hi message I just received from person who was interested in newspaper articles you posted. I said Id ask you....hope you don’t mind. I thought it best to post whole message so it makes more sense what the thinking is.[/font][/size]
“Hi Sharon….its after 1 am and I have been trying to get to sleep and my mind was going over those newspaper articles you sent, and I was wondering where you found those ?  because we know that father George died sometime after 1877, as he was in the directory as being head of the house at No 14 Tea Lane, but by 1884, Sarah Ann was down as the occupier…..Joan said that because of when the directory came out he would have died by 1883. ( This would tie in with Samuel Baird still being down as living at 92 Charles street)…..but what I was thinking, if there had been an accident and son George got burnt, I wondered if father George may be had an accident as well and was admitted to hospital.  Its just my mind going over all this stuff !!!!  would it be possible for you to check out my theory please??[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]
I really need to clear my mind and try and get some sleep now !   Thanks….its great to be able to talk to someone else looking for the same thing !”[/font][/size]
It is great to finally find others who can help solve these mysteries. [/font][/size]
Thank you![/font][/size]

[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]

CMcG

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2019, 04:03:19 PM »
I had had the same thought about George senior having died in that 1877 - 1884 time frame (based on the street directory entries), but try as I have, I have yet found neither a death registration nor a newspaper reference to a death... There's no guarantee that his death was registered, some sources suggest that up to 15% of registrations in that era simply weren't happening (the worse / upper end being rural registrations).

On a similar tack, I haven't yet found a death registration for Samuel Baird's wife between late 1867 and 1901 - I'm saying that because nothing jumps out for her in the 1901 census and Samuel was described as 'Married' in his 1867 death registration.  However, the 'irishgenealogy' website hasn't yet digitised all of the death registrations for the period 1864 - 1877, so she may be hiding in there.  The initial assumption has to be a Belfast death.  But there again, we know that daughter Eliza Jane Richmond (and hubby Andrew of course) went south to Castlewellan / Newcastle.  Anyhow, it would be useful to find out her forename.   

Shas

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2019, 04:06:25 PM »
Yes it would be great to know her forename etc. Thank you for your reply..I’ll pass it on.

Shas

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 06:55:58 AM »
Could you tell me which newspaper you found the articles of the Burn accident of George McFarland and Sarah Ann please. Thank you.

CMcG

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2019, 10:01:30 AM »

Could you tell me which newspaper you found the articles of the Burn accident of George McFarland and Sarah Ann please. Thank you.

Belfast Morning News of 7 January 1879 (page 3).

Northern Whig of 2 December 1898 (page 5).

Shas

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2019, 06:33:00 PM »
Thank you!