Author Topic: John Kane and Rose McNamee death dates  (Read 262 times)

Tipperdarby

John Kane and Rose McNamee death dates
« on: May 11, 2019, 04:06:47 AM »
i have a lot of info on John Kane and his wife Rose, formerly McIlwee nee McNamee but I have no idea when they died. In the 1901 census they were living in Milewater Street ...census has them as OíKane.....and in 1911 they were living on the New Lodge Road with their blended family and Roseís 2 sisters Lizzie and Frances McNamee. The census says house 44 but I believe the address was 97 New Lodge Road. On the Lennon Wylie site Lizzie McNamee is listed as living at 97 from 1907 until 1932. Roseís daughter Elizabeth McIlwee was married from that address in 1914 and John and Roseís daughter Frances Kane was married from that address in 1917. When Frances emigrated to NY in 1925 she gave the name and address of her nearest relative as John Kane (spelled wrongly on the manifest as John Kome) 97 New Lodge Road (again wrong as New Lodge House)
If anyone can help me in finding the dates of death of John Kane, Rose Kane, Elizabeth (Lizzie) McNamee and Frances McNamee I would be very very grateful.
Thank you
Eileen

Elwyn

Re: John Kane and Rose McNamee death dates
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 08:54:26 AM »
     Re the family home appearing as house 44 in the 1911 census, the numbers used there were the enumerators own private numbering system and often had no connection with any actual number a property may have had (many houses in Ireland didnít have house numbers then so the enumerators used their own system). If you click on ďAdditional pages 2Ē on the census, youíll see the reverse of the house return and it shows that the postal address of that property was 97 New Lodge Rd.

Canít see any likely deaths in Belfast in the records up to 1969. Could the family have left Belfast?

Elwyn

Tipperdarby

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 02:34:22 PM »
I thought the numbering must have been something like that Elwyn, thank you. I actually looked at page 2 but still missed it!
I wonder if they did move somewhere? Rose was born in Sion Mills County Tyrone in 1862 and John was born in Creggan, Armagh in 1852. As far as I know, their daughter Frances who married John Hughes in 1917 had all of her 3 children in Newry before they emigrated to the US. Now, that is hearsay, I havenít been able to find any of those births because of the hundred year rule but their DOBís are James 19 Nov 1919, Thomas 1922 and Rosaleen 30 Jun 1924.
Lizzie and Frances McNamee had 2 brothers in Scotland.
I was hoping there might be a death notice for some of them in a newspaper perhaps.
Strange that Lizzie McNameeís name is still on Lennon Wylie right up until 1932, she was born in Tyrone in 1864 and Frances in 1869. As far as I know they didnít marry.
Thanks for looking.
Eileen

Elwyn

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 02:59:48 PM »
     Eileen,

Those Newry birth certificates are accessible just not on-line. If you want copies, you can order them from GRONI. Or, if you know someone who is going to PRONI they can look them up there. The GRONI terminals in PRONI have access to all records, even those registered yesterday.

The fact that there were a couple of brothers in Scotland, made me wonder if Frances & Elizabeth went there too.  There is a death in 1949 for a Frances McNamee aged 75, in Possil Park (Glasgow). Also one for Elizabeth McNamee in 1932 in Greenock, aged 64. You can view those on-line on Scotlandspeople.  (Scottish death certificates helpfully contain both parents names so, unlike Irish & English certs you can be more certain whether itís the right person).

I did a search on a newspaper site I have a sub to but did not find any likely mentions for the 4 you are searching for.

Elwyn

Tipperdarby

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 02:36:22 AM »
Thank you so much Elwyn. It will cost £15 for each certificate so I think I will ask someone to go to Proni for me.There are a couple of people I could ask.
I checked on Scotlandís People but they were not my McNamees. No harm in looking though, credits on Scotlandís People are pretty reasonable.
Thanks again
Eileen