Author Topic: Riecken Family, Annadale Street, Blitz fatalities  (Read 178 times)

NPWH2019

Riecken Family, Annadale Street, Blitz fatalities
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:43:18 AM »
Ernest William Riecken was born in Germany on 14th April 1876 and was working as a waiter in Belfast when he married Mary Louisa Partridge on 15th April 1900 in St Anne's Parish Church. They were living at Hillman Street in 1901 and 1911 (being recorded as Presbyterian in the latter) and, as far as I can ascertain, they had two children - William Charles Frederick, born on 30th October 1903, and Cecil Ernest, born on 27th May 1912.

In 1939, they were living at Annadale Street and William Riecken was working at the Carlton Cafe & Restaurant located at 25-27 Donegall Place (F. W. Henry, Managing Director).  William was interviewed as an "Enemy Alien" in November 1939 but was not interned on account of his wife's ill health. William and Mary Louisa Riecken died on 16th April 1941 and a death notice in the Belfast Telegraph stated that William was to be buried at Carnmoney on Tuesday 22nd April. In the absence of a reference to Mary, it may be assumed that her remains were either not recovered or not identified.

Antrim & Newtownabbey Council does not have a record of a William Riecken being buried in Carnmoney Cemetery and I was unable to identify a reference to a burial in the Carnmoney Parish Church records.If anyone can help to identify William Ricken's burial place, please get in touch.

Thanks,

Nigel

CMcG

Re: Riecken Family, Annadale Street, Blitz fatalities
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 12:18:37 PM »
Just an immediate thought, knowing our propensity to struggle with transcribing and pronouncing foreign names, have you tried the Carnmoney (council and parish) records for a William Rankin who died then?  I could see it happening.

NPWH2019

Re: Riecken Family, Annadale Street, Blitz fatalities
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 12:23:07 PM »
Thanks, CMcG

In going through the parish church records, I did not see any possible variants.  I wish the council records were online to all me to variant searches as I do not like to impose on the goodwill of the staff by going through a variety of alternative spellings.  I wonder whether their computer records can be searched by burial date. Something to consider.

Nigel