Author Topic: Schoolday Books.  (Read 820 times)

syriana

Re: Schoolday Books.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 10:35:11 AM »
I remember at the likes of Christmas and birthdays getting wee hardbacked Ladybird books on varied subjects such as “modern” cars , birds that can be found in British gardens , animals found in the British countryside etc etc anyone else remember those ? There were no photographs but lots of detailed coloured drawings and diagrams.

My early reading material was a tad more prosaic than yours Ali.  I got the 'Hotspur' and the 'Wizard' comics every week and ended up with Hotspur and Wizard hardbacked book albums at Christmas. 
The Truth is a Lie Which Hasn't Been Found Out.

CMcG

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 10:35:55 AM »

I remember at the likes of Christmas and birthdays getting wee hardbacked Ladybird books on varied subjects such as “modern” cars , birds that can be found in British gardens , animals found in the British countryside etc etc anyone else remember those ? There were no photographs but lots of detailed coloured drawings and diagrams.

Yes, I remember them, I also got several Observer books for Christmas in the early 1970s and spent many an hour looking for foxes, badgers and all sorts of birds and plants. I also remember binge reading 'The Hardy Boys' series lol.

Bigali

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
My early reading material was a tad more prosaic than yours Ali.  I got the 'Hotspur' and the 'Wizard' comics every week and ended up with Hotspur and Wizard hardbacked book albums at Christmas.

I got the Hotspur and Victor every Saturday and like yourself at Christmas would have gotten the albums with Alf Tucker the Tough of the Track , The Four Paddy’s etc  :D
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

toadstool999

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »
P4 or P5?  :D

P4 of course. I was an early developer.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

ldugan

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 02:19:52 PM »
Anne of Green Gables was my fav primary school book.

Blake

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 04:16:07 PM »
I got the Hotspur and Victor every Saturday and like yourself at Christmas would have gotten the albums with Alf Tucker the Tough of the Track , The Four Paddy’s etc  :D
the Hornet
artist formerly known as "that wee man from West Belfast"

eric

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 04:27:28 PM »
The eagle with Dan Dare :)

syriana

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 04:33:57 PM »
The eagle with Dan Dare :)

Was Dan Dare's nemesis a wee green man called 'The Mekon'?   He looked like Sammy Wilson with a hangover.

GEMMA

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »
Was that not Flash Gordon?

syriana

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 04:55:55 PM »
Was that not Flash Gordon?

I think it was Dan Dare.  Flash Gordon's arch enemy was 'Ming The Merciless'.  Father Ted included him in his slide show to the Craggy Island Chinese when he was accused of being a racist.

Sanbrad

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 05:58:06 PM »
I didn’t like any of our set books in school but I loved reading. Louisa May Alcott’s series starting with Little Women was a great favourite. The Bobsey Twins, William books and another series about a girl called Jane I loved as well. All got from the library. No money for books in those days although I got comics every week ... Bunty, Judy and Beezer.

GEMMA

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2019, 06:17:58 PM »
I think it was Dan Dare.  Flash Gordon's arch enemy was 'Ming The Merciless'.  Father Ted included him in his slide show to the Craggy Island Chinese when he was accused of being a racist.
you,re correct, getting my Ming,s and Mekon,s mixed up.Have the same problem with my Klingon,s and Vulkan,s.

syriana

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2019, 06:37:16 PM »
Elderly people have trouble with Klingons.

GandT

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2019, 08:53:57 PM »

You and I must have had the same tastes or the same newsagent, Bigali. Loved all that stuff. Don't recall the Four Paddys. Sure it wasn't the Four Marys and you were stealing your sister's 'Bunty'.

For some reason you put comics with Billy Bunter and Biggles in them into my head. I also read all the Billy Bunter books; Jennings and Darbyshire, Just William and everything about Biggles. Jaysus, public schools, the English Home Counties and the RAF - and I absolutely loved them. Isn't it far from the middle-class comfort and the 'Chocks away, chaps' I was raised and yet they were my first grounding and grazing in the English literature I admire!

Bread Basket

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 07:17:24 AM »
This was my first book 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂👍🏼

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=38710.0