Author Topic: PURDEYSBURN HOSPITAL BELFAST  (Read 2893 times)

cookstown

Re: PURDEYSBURN HOSPITAL BELFAST
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 04:58:04 PM »
Afternoon gentlemen.  I have something in common with you in relation to Purdysburn which i hope you find of interest.  My mother lived in the new look Purdysburn village until she died in 1986.  Prior to that i had an aunt and uncle and three cousins who lived in the old village.  All now gone.  Both were referred to as "The Fever or the Mental".  I was a patient in the Fever in 1982 and was kept in an isolation ward with a viral infection. Watched N.I. beat Spain in the World Cup from my hospital bed.  On the Mental side of things i recall playing football inside the grounds of the mental.  Belfast City Hospital had a team and this was their home pitch.  Cracking pitch it was.  Some of the residents and staff watched the game.  I learned later that the big house in the mental grounds was originally the family home of the Batts family who were off.  The Orange Hall in the village (the old one) was the old blacksmiths shop attached to the estate.  The Batts family burial site is in the grounds of Ballylesson Church of Ireland. The Orange Lodge that sits in the Hall is called Batts Purple Star.  I have a lot of childhood memories of the area, the village and down by the river where i occasionlly slipped and ended up soaking wet.

Regards Cookstown   

moorsy

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 05:22:44 PM »
where was that village, I cant recall it, only Edenderry village. Was it just up from Shaws bridge.?
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

welder

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 06:00:24 PM »

Thank you for that Cookstown, "Fever of the mental" I don't know what it is but

it sounds better than mentally ill. My Father and his elder sister were intelligent

people. Can't imagine my GF being ill in that way

but he died March 1940 so I will never know.

If it wasn't for him there would be no Father and no me, if that makes sense.
If the fates decree you're going to lose give them a damn good fight...

cookstown

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 06:56:25 PM »
Thanks guys for your replies.  Welder they were two separate Hospitals on either side of the road. The Fever looked after people with all kinds of ailments of an unusual nature. It was wide ranging covering things like tropical diseases and such like.  Go past it today and its being re invented with really up market housing.
Moorsy - Purdysburn village is situated at the junction of Hospital Road and the Ballycoan Road.
One of the enchanting things in the old village was the outside dry toilets.  They had to be emptied now and again so there were lots of short straws in the village.  Generally very charming especially in summer time when the weather was pleasantly warm, "nice".

Regards Cookstown

cookstown

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 07:01:14 PM »
Sorry Moorsy.  You mention a sanitorium type hospital and T.B.  May I suggest that may have been Forster Green Hospital close to Forest Side Shopping Centre.  My brother was treated there many years ago for T.B.
and he was treated there.
Regards Cookstown

welder

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 08:21:43 PM »

Perhaps this is an explanation ?

Psychogenic fever: how psychological stress affects body temperature ...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4843908/

by T Oka - ‎2015 - ‎Cited by 33 - ‎Related articlesPsychogenic fever[/color]: how psychological[/color] stress affects body temperature in the clinical population. Your browser does not support the NLM PubReader view.
AbstractPsychogenic FeverDifferences Between PSH ...Low-Grade Fever in ...

moorsy

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 11:15:06 PM »
Sorry Moorsy.  You mention a sanitorium type hospital and T.B.  May I suggest that may have been Forster Green Hospital close to Forest Side Shopping Centre.  My brother was treated there many years ago for T.B.
and he was treated there.
Regards Cookstown

you know you could be right,saintfield and hillfoot roads when I was a kid,long before the shopping centre.

BREDAGUY

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 04:46:16 PM »
hi moorsy u have to remember docters didn't know about dientia or depression and such so it was his heads away into the burn u went there were lots of people in the burn who should never been there by the way where did u live I lived off the school road

welder

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 05:37:23 PM »

As I see it, from a distance of miles and many years, my GF who was in his sixties

living and working in an area that was blitzed and with stark memory's of WWI cracked

His widow, my GM died the following year and is in the same grave. RIP

moorsy

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2019, 12:09:21 AM »
hi moorsy u have to remember docters didn't know about dientia or depression and such so it was his heads away into the burn u went there were lots of people in the burn who should never been there by the way where did u live I lived off the school road

we lived of Agincourt Ave, up to when I was about 15. then the family moved to Belvoir.

On sunday nights we would meet with the girls from the Pass and walk up to the village and back.  Before the Belvoir estate was started we would play there. Mr. Robinson was the gamekeeper at the time and if he caught you, you could have got a few salt pellets in you from his shotgun.

welder

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2019, 08:14:29 AM »
Purdeysburn Hospital Belfast

Related image

welder

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2019, 04:15:36 PM »
Purdeysburn Hospital Belfast

Image result for photo of Purdysburn Hospital Belfast

welder

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2019, 09:21:42 PM »
PURDEYSBURN HILL

Image result for photo of Purdysburn hospital

welder

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »

Related image

welder

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2019, 12:50:12 PM »

In April 2018 I was answering posts in the Genealogy thread (page 15) about

Purdeysburn Hospital. Someone suggested that medical records could be kept private

for 100 years !! and that being a docker he may have picked

up some thing from the cargo he was handling gave him a fever ?