Author Topic: Lyra McKee mural appears in Belfast City centre  (Read 831 times)

James James

Lyra McKee mural appears in Belfast City centre
« on: May 21, 2019, 11:54:25 PM »
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/lyra-mckee-mural-appears-at-belfasts-sunflower-bar-38082828.html

"Lyra McKee mural appears at Belfast's Sunflower Bar"

"A new mural of murdered journalist Lyra McKee has appeared in Belfast city centre."

"The mural has been painted outside the Sunflower Pub, near St Anne's Cathedral where her funeral took place."

Dot/dash

Re: Lyra McKee mural appears in Belfast City centre
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 04:25:34 PM »
pretty awful looking mural           she looks like a male               wonder would a mural of a police officer

been painted               had he/she been murdered                then again I  guess a police officer's family

wouldn't have agreed to it          .         
love me          love my gelding     

Bigali

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 11:21:19 PM »
pretty awful looking mural           she looks like a male               wonder would a mural of a police officer

been painted               had he/she been murdered                then again I  guess a police officer's family

wouldn't have agreed to it          .       

If it had been a young Constable it would no longer be newsworthy, but those who detract forget that  if it wasn’t for that young Constable ,  in some places in Belfast , they wouldn’t be able to sleep in their beds at night .
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

James James

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 11:08:35 PM »

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-06/mural-tribute-to-murdered-journalist-lyra-mckee-appears-in-belfast/

"Mural tribute to murdered journalist Lyra McKee appears in Belfast"

Quote,...

A mural of murdered journalist Lyra McKee has been painted in Belfast, alongside the powerful words she wrote to her teenage self.

The poignant image in the city centre was created by Dublin artist Emma Blake.

Blake and 21 other artists blanketed most of Kent Street in new artwork over the bank holiday weekend as part of the annual Hit the North street art festival.

Her mural of the tragic 29-year-old Belfast author, who was shot dead by dissident republicans during rioting in Londonderry last month, was already drawing visitors on Monday, with people stopping to take photographs.

The image of Ms McKee is painted alongside the words of a powerful letter she wrote to her 14-year-old self.

The letter, which has gained worldwide prominence since her death, spoke of her struggles as a gay teenager in Northern Ireland.

It contained the touching message “It won’t always be like this. It’s going to get better” – words that have assumed added resonance since her murder by the violent extremists.

The location of the mural is also significant, as it faces an existing artwork that provided a striking backdrop for a photograph of Ms McKee that was widely circulated in days after she was killed.

Adam Turkington, the organiser of the Hit the North festival, said Blake had been moved by Ms McKee’s death and wanted to pay tribute.

He highlighted the prominent role art has played in the response to the shooting, noting the protest in Derry that saw friends of Ms McKee place red hand prints on an office building used by dissident republicans and the painting over of IRA murals close to the murder scene.

“Street art is always dialogue,” he said. “Writing on a wall is always political, whether you realise it or not.

“I think what’s been really interesting is how you’ve seen that the aftermath of Lyra’s death has played out in art on walls – whether it’s the bloody hand prints on the office walls or whether it’s people painting over the IRA murals in Derry. That’s activism."

“Street art has its roots in activism and in anti-establishment-ism, but also in finding ways to communicate with each other about things that really are hard to talk about.

“It’s about aesthetic, it’s about place-making. And especially in the context of Northern Ireland, where we have these very divisive murals, street art for me in this context is all about building a shared space and finding a place that people can co-exist.

“It’s a very natural thing in a way that Lyra has been represented in this way at the festival and long may it continue.”

The journalist's funeral was held in the centre of Belfast last month, in which thousands gathered to pay respects and celebrate her life.

A priest received a loud and sustained standing ovation when he asked why it took the death of Ms McKee's death for politicians to come together to bridge the political divide.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-24/lyra-mckee-funeral-belfast-fr-martin-magill-stephen-lusty-belfast-cathedral-sara-canning/

White dee

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 01:34:19 AM »

Oh dear Lord,give me strength please,
Justice for all the innocent/ unarmed People who were
Gunned down by the British Soldiers,
For no other reason then their religion,were murdered.

Dot/dash

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 10:17:13 AM »
If it had been a young Constable it would no longer be newsworthy, but those who detract forget that  if it wasn’t for that young Constable ,  in some places in Belfast , they wouldn’t be able to sleep in their beds at night .

during the reporting of the murder of Ms McKee in your medial outlets              was there reference to

the target being PSNI officers?                yes most people             even those on this side of the

Irish Sea            fail to realize the role of our police in keeping us safe in our beds at night          also

when they leave the safety of their homes to report for duty            there is a great risk they may not

return at the end of their shift            God protect them all   
love me          love my gelding     

James James

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 05:14:06 PM »

BBC Radio four audio recording of a recent edition of the "Woman's Hour" programme.

The programme includes an interview with Lyra McKee's partner Sara Canning.

"Her partner talks about living with Lyra why she’s been speaking at an equal marriage rally in Belfast."

That 12 minute segment of the programme plays at the beginning of this recording,...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00055mf

gray_marian

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 01:48:52 PM »

Oh dear Lord,give me strength please,

Yeah, the links are excessive. ::)

Billy Fish

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 07:17:56 PM »

My thoughts exactly. Appalling as this murder was, one truly wonders if it had been a serving police officer, would there have been such a hoo hah ?  ::)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

cookstown

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 07:41:00 PM »
For me the most disturbing thing about this young ladies murder was part of the aftermath.  A short time later Council Elections were held.  An alleged male with links to the organisation that was respondsible for the girls death was elected to his local Council with over 1000 votes in the general area where she died.  You can have all the Red Hands, Murals in the world but at the end of the day you need some brave person or group of people to stand in the witness box and give evidence.  I fully understand its not easy but thats what needs to be done.

cookstown   

Billy Fish

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 07:45:32 PM »
For me the most disturbing thing about this young ladies murder was part of the aftermath.  A short time later Council Elections were held.  An alleged male with links to the organisation that was respondsible for the girls death was elected to his local Council with over 1000 votes in the general area where she died.  You can have all the Red Hands, Murals in the world but at the end of the day you need some brave person or group of people to stand in the witness box and give evidence.  I fully understand its not easy but thats what needs to be done.

cookstown

Exactly. The scum who carried out this vile murder have indeed support in 'their' community as the recent elections show.  >:D
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

James James

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 05:58:33 AM »

Billy Fish

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 08:57:26 AM »

Such a shame not everyone in 'free Derry', thinks like that.  ::)
Support Soldier F

cookstown

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 10:34:07 AM »
Only effective if it puts suspects in the dock and witnesses in the witness box. Lets wait and see.
Cookstown

James James

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 01:50:24 PM »
Despite public death threats being made against the local residents,...

"02 May 2019"
https://www.scotsman.com/news/crime/lyra-mckee-pro-ira-graffiti-near-scene-of-murder-warns-against-helping-police-1-4919838

"Detectives say more than 140 people have already come forward with information, videos and images from the unrest."

"Complete anonymity, including giving evidence behind a screen and using voice altering technology, have been offered for anyone called to give evidence at a trial."

In relation to the threats,...

"Kevin Campbell, Sinn Fein councillor and a Creggan resident, said the people of the area had sent a message to the perpetrators and will not be deterred."

“It’s an absolute insult to the memory of Lyra McKee, who was murdered by these people,” he said."

“These people were given a clear message after the death of Lyra, when hundreds and hundreds of residents of Creggan stood together on Fanad Drive, that they are not wanted."

"Maybe that message isn’t getting through, but this is an absolute disgrace and it’s an insult to her memory.”

"Mr Campbell says he does not believe the graffiti will deter people from coming forward."

“People see these gangs for what they are - they aren’t republicans, they are filth, and people recognise that,” he added."

"One shocked resident told the Press Association:",...

“I cannot believe them, it’s only the second week since Lyra was killed here. They have no shame, they are scum.”

"Superintendent Alan Hutton said:"...

Police in Derry/Londonderry are aware of graffiti in Central Drive in Creggan, including slogans which appear to have been spray-painted onto the wall of a building. We are also aware of signs that have been erected on lampposts in the area."

“I would appeal to anyone who has information about this, or knows who is responsible, to contact police at Strand Road on the non-emergency number 101.”

"Alternatively call Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111 which is 100% anonymous."