Author Topic: Buriel records  (Read 354 times)

kmac

Buriel records
« on: June 02, 2019, 06:57:30 PM »
can anyone tell me how I can find out where my great grandfather is buried. He died on the 11th of November 1925 in knockmore which I think is Lisburn. His name was Robert McMullen.

sam barry

Re: Buriel records
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 09:58:24 PM »
Found this from the Belfast News Letter,dated 2nd September 1924:
"August 31, 1924, at her Residence "Beechfield" Lisburn, Ellen dearly and much loved wife of Robert McMullen,
proprietor of the "Lisburn Herald". Funeral to Lisburn Cemetery this Tuesday afternoon at 3 o clock
Deeply regretted by her Husband and Family."

So her husband may also be buried there ?

Hope this is the correct family.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 10:19:30 PM »
Death notice in Belfast newspapers of 12 November 1925 confirm burial in Lisburn Cemetery.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 11:07:36 PM »

kmac

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 11:22:51 PM »
Thank you both that's fantastic to find out he's buried in Lisburn. I'm not sure if this is Blaris cemetery but will email them tomorrow. That's great to see a photo of him does the article say anymore of how he died?

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 12:01:29 AM »

... That's great to see a photo of him does the article say anymore of how he died?

No, the only information is as below ('indisposed for some time'), however his death registration is available online on a 'pay to view' basis via the GRONI website, the index shows that his reported age was 64, but the registration image will include cause of death.

Belfast Telegraph:

Ballymena Observer:

kmac

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 07:21:03 AM »
Those articles are brilliant. I would love to get a copy of the papers do you know if this is possible? Thank you for going to the trouble of finding them for me it's a great help!

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 08:45:45 AM »
While there are publishers and archive companies online which will print and sell you complete copies of historical back issues, I'm not aware of any that would specifically cover the Belfast Telegraph or Ballymena Observer for that era.

kmac

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 07:03:43 PM »
Thanks to the newspaper clippings I was able to contact Lisburn council to find out grave details. I got the lovleliest lady called Zoe. She gave me grave information for Robert McMullen and loads of information for other family members. Brilliant success. What I would like to know now is how I access old newspapers. I found out today Roberts son George died when he was 21 in 1920 in an accident and I would love to see if there's any old newspaper reports of this?

CMcG

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 09:08:01 AM »

I have an article on the 1920 drowning, but am struggling to upload it using my normal image hosting service, I will try again later...

Edited to add:  Here you are.

kmac

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 08:08:49 PM »
Thank you so much CMcG you have gone to a lot of trouble and I do appreciate it. I am glad you found the newspaper clipping but how very sad reading about the death of my great uncle. Thank you again