Author Topic: Baptism Records  (Read 386 times)

Seasons

Baptism Records
« on: June 02, 2019, 10:12:31 PM »
I am looking for a Baptismal Record for a baby boy born 1928 to a RC Mother and RC Father, could someone please advise me how i can search for this type of record and what information would be contained in them?

I believe it was a necessity to have a new born baptised and the priest would have had to certified the details. Is it correct that if either parents married other people that the marriage register had to be annotated

Can someone please give me as much detail as possible concenring this

Seasons

Elwyn

Re: Baptism Records
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »
     An RC baptism in 1928 wouldn’t be on-line anywhere, so far as I am aware. The parish where the baptism took place would hold the only copy. If you know where that was you could contact the parish office and ask them if they will look it up for you.

Usually a baptism in the 1900s contains the parents names, address, father’s occupation as well as the 2 sponsors.

Where someone marries, there is sometimes a note beside their baptism with details of the marriage, but not all priests followed that practice.

Elwyn

Seasons

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 11:00:14 PM »
Elwyn.

Thank you very much for this information the problem i have is I don't know where the Baptism would have taken place. I've contacted around 9 Parishes but so far only 1 has replied.

The informtion on this form would be invaluable if i could find it and that's only if the baby was baptised.

Seasons.

Elwyn

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 11:02:06 PM »
Most of the same information should also be on the child's birth certificate. Have you tried to get a copy of it from GRONI?
Elwyn

Seasons

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 11:54:26 AM »
Yes, That has all been done with little to nothing on the Birth Certifcate - other than Mother's name.

Thanks for the reply it's helpful - it's really the Baptism Certificate I need to try and find to unlock the information that's required.

Seasons

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 12:33:10 PM »

'RootsIreland' and the Ulster Historical Foundation website might have it, for example they have coverage of baptisms for counties Antrim and Down right up to the start of the 1930s, however that coverage is undoubtedly limited. In addition to what Elwyn has said, you might sometimes see confirmation details in the baptismal record.

Seasons

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 08:11:00 PM »
I will try both those sites CMcG, NOT a straight forward search, the baby was born in Belfast but we believe the Mother from Armagh area. This was always a shot in the dark in the hope something would present itself.
It is however, looking very hopeful with other infomation.

Many Thanks Elwyn and CMcG. Every little bit of information help to understand the next steps.

Season

Elwyn

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 08:21:53 PM »
     With illegitimate births you do frequently see the father’s name recorded in the baptism when he isn’t on the civil birth certificate (unless he was present at the registration) but not every mother revealed who the father was. So there’s no certainty that even if you do find the baptism you’ll get the father’s name.

You seem uncertain where the mother came from (“we believe” etc). Have you searched the 1939 Register for her? It should contain her date of birth and place of birth. Assuming she was still in NI, PRONI have it and you need to make an FOI request to access it.

Elwyn

Blacky

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 01:12:41 PM »
I am looking for a Baptismal Record for a baby boy born 1928 to a RC Mother and RC Father, could someone please advise me how i can search for this type of record and what information would be contained in them?

I believe it was a necessity to have a new born baptised and the priest would have had to certified the details. Is it correct that if either parents married other people that the marriage register had to be annotated

Can someone please give me as much detail as possible concenring this

Seasons

Have you tried this site?  It may contain some useful information:

LINK:    https://registers.nli.ie/

lilybo

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 01:29:50 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone know if the baptism records for 1950 in St Patrick’s in Belfast are available, I know there was a fire but not sure if they survived.
Get down on your knees and thank God you are still on your feet.

James James

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 07:06:54 PM »

Seasons

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 08:17:12 PM »
CMcG.  I decided to take out a months membership to Roots Ireland yesterday, I will search that site in earnest in the hope something can be found

Elwyn. We are about 80% certain about the Birth Mother however, there's a lot more to get finalised before a certainity can be declared, but i am very hopeful, that's why the baptism records have become very important, all other paper trails have been exhausted in PRONI, GRONI and just about everywhere else. Private Researcher employed, all family extensivly reseraching, DNA taken with 2 sites - it's probably one of the more difficuly Geneology Searches to carry out as the paper trail is very thin on the ground, no one wanted to be found or traced back to.

PRONI at this moment in time are searching 'Closed Records' in the hope they can confirm information i found last week. Fabulous staff in that department, we certainly wouldn't be this far without them. 

Let's hope were nearly there. I do so appreciate this forum, it has been a life saver at time when brick reinforced walls have been hit. 

Many Thanks

Seasons

Seasons

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 08:22:53 PM »
Have you tried this site?  It may contain some useful information:

LINK:    https://registers.nli.ie/

Blacky, What a fantastic Site! Thank you SIR!.. I will let you know if i find something.  :)

Seasons

James James

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 06:14:12 AM »
https://www.johngrenham.com/browse/counties/rcmaps/antrimrc.php#maps/

Click on a Parish on the map in the link to see the record sources for a parish.

Seasons

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 09:39:39 PM »
James James.

This is a excellent Source   :)

Many Thanks

Seasons