Author Topic: Lieut. Raymond James Greer Deceased  (Read 195 times)

Les Smith

Lieut. Raymond James Greer Deceased
« on: June 05, 2019, 11:02:32 AM »
 I am searching for the family of the late ::--  Lieut. Raymond James GREER who is one of the 372 British Servicemen who died on active service during the four-year Cyprus Emergency April 1 1955 to April 18 1959, and whose name is among those remembered with honour on the British Cyprus Memorial. Serving with 847 Squadron, Royal Navy, he was pilot of a Fairey Gannet which, returning from a coastal patrol, crashed at Nicosia Airport on February 20 1958, killing all three members of the crew. Aged 29, from Antrim, Belfast — as was his close friend the observer — he is buried at Wayne’s Keep, the British military cemetery in Cyprus, Plot 24 Row E Grave 4. See also CHIVERS & WRIGHT. Can you or anyone else in you family help ?[/size]
I have managed to trace the families of the other two young men who died in the same accident . My reason is to let Raymond's family know that he has not been forgotten by his comrades and that we now have two memorials in their memory. One in Kyrenia Cyprus and the other in The National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire. Also to let the family know that they are entitled to receive The Elizabeth Cross. I would also like to hear from  anyone who served in Cyprus during the 1955 to 1959 emergency                   
  Regards Les Smith Cyprus Veteran.

CMcG

Re: Lieut. Raymond James Greer Deceased
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 01:29:29 PM »
Maybe the following detail might help trigger something.

When he got married to Mary Barbara West in 1953, he was described as the son of Mrs Sarah Greer of 84 Strand Road, Portstewart and the late Mr. James P. Greer, he also has a sister Joan.  When he died in 1958, a local death notice described him as the husband of Mary Greer of 226 Crumlin Road Belfast, Raymond and Mary had a son who was then 14 months old.

Les Smith

Re: Lieut. Raymond James Greer Deceased
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 08:53:53 AM »
Thank you CMcG  for your information

I have that information but that is where my search runs cold.
Regards Les