Author Topic: Mary Brigid Toner - Nurse.  (Read 519 times)

Seasons

Mary Brigid Toner - Nurse.
« on: June 06, 2019, 05:37:58 PM »
I  found Mary on the Nursing Records 1928, she qualified in London from 1924 - 1927. She was born in  Armagh. Not sure if she worked in Ireland or went back to England after 1928.
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Mary's Birth   25th September 1906.               [/size]

Her Father was John Toner Born - 4th December 1898
Her Mother Brigid Toner nee Hughes. Born- 25th February 1872 Brigid was from Madden Armagh Area.
They married 12th May 1898 in Ballymacnab Chapel.

I think they had 2 Sons MAYBE more.
Joseph born 26th June 1912 Died 24th November 1912
Joseph born 13th October 1913

I would be very keen to know if they had any further Children.

The Family lived in English Street Armagh but I cannot find them in the 1911 Census.

My main focus is with Mary Brigid - Nurse however, I would be most grateful is anyone wanted to add anything further to this search. This is the most significant search to date. 

Many Thanks

Seasons

CMcG

Re: Mary Brigid Toner - Nurse.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 08:46:27 PM »

... The Family lived in English Street Armagh but I cannot find them in the 1911 Census.

Here they are (note daughter 'Minnie'), the later childrens' births on the 'irishgenealogy' website corroborate this, but note the birthplace for the earlier children:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Armagh_North_Urban/English_St__Lower/324221/

Also a daughter Teresa in 1915:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1915/01381/1567848.pdf

I can also see a transcript of a civil birth for Dympna Toner born on 19 May 1917 to John Toner (Oil Man) and Bridget Hughes of English Street Armagh (can't yet find the equivalent on GRONI).

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 09:32:34 PM »

... I can also see a transcript of a civil birth for Dympna Toner born on 19 May 1917 to John Toner (Oil Man) and Bridget Hughes of English Street Armagh (can't yet find the equivalent on GRONI).

Ahhh, GRONI has transcribed it in their online index as Dympna Tover.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Seasons

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 10:22:00 PM »
Hi CMcG.  :)

I saw this Census but discounted it because of the number in English Street! On the Nurses Register Mary has given her address as 22 English Street Armagh and not 34 so I'm guessing a mistake with the number now! along with the GRONI Mistake with the Surname for Dynphna.

Thank you for this information CMcG it's a big help.

Seasons

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 11:13:51 PM »
The '34' in the 1911 census simply means that it was the 34th property enumerated in that street, it isn't necessarily the street number.  There are a couple of references in Northern Ireland newspapers of 1926 and 1927 to a John Toner of 22 English Street / Lower English Street in Armagh, so there is some corroboration in that.

Seasons

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 12:17:56 AM »
Oh! I would love to read those articles CMcG if you have time to post?

Would there by chance be any References in the Papers on Mary Brigid Toner - Nurse - I've discovered from my 1st Post that she moved to Coleraine Rd Maghera after English Street around the 1940's

Seasons

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 12:18:58 AM »

Ahhh, GRONI has transcribed it in their online index as Dympna Tover.

The 'irishgenealogy' website has it as Toner:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1917/01314/1543088.pdf

Seasons

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
Thank You CMcG. This is a great connection, A big family! I'm delighted and hopeful we can find some of the family in Ireland. Struggling to see if Mary Married and went on to have a family.

As Always, so appreciate your quick and thorough reply with this search.

This is a exciting find for the family.

Seasons

Seasons

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 04:13:00 PM »
I'm coming back to this posting with the Hope I can find if Mary Brigid Toner born 1906 22 Lower English Street Armagh married and had a family, and or her date and place of death.

I have searched and searched along with Help and assistance from PRONI and GRONI to try and find her either on the Nursing Register, Marriage and Death.

I have found her family in Armagh and who her sisters married but just no sign whatsoever of Mary Brigid. I have also found her parents grave in St Patricks Catheral Graeyard.

Although she Trained in London from 1924 to 1927 and I believe she  returned home 1928 it's proving difficult to see where she settled, the Nursing and Midwifery Council cannot give any informtion out due to their Data Protection Laws. Does anyone know if this can be challenged?

She was in Maghera 1946 as that was her last place of residence. - i'm almost certain but not 100% 
I searched all Chapels in that local area - Nothing at all was found. Yes! Toner's in Swatragh but not the same family.

Any help or suggestions would be most welcomed.

Seasons

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 04:42:50 PM »
 Seasons

You donít say whether you have seen the 1939 England & Wales Register for Lancaster, Liverpool CB, NHSS, on ancestry.  If you havenít and just for your records Mary B Toner, single, born 25 September 1907, a State Registered Nurse.  The address was 10 Weardale Road.
www.Ancestry.co.uk

It would seem that a Mary Brigid TONER died in 1977 although the dob states 26 Mr 1907.  A copy of the death cert would perhaps help you establish if itís the same person/  https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

As for the Nursing and Midwifery Council cannot give any informtion out due to their Data Protection Laws. I would have thought a formal written request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOI) should be of assistance to you, although I am unfamiliar with specific Statutes that the NMC can refuse requests .  https://www.nmc.org.uk/contact-us/data-protection/foi-request/

Hope this helps.17124

Seasons

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 05:06:54 PM »
17124.  Thank you for this information and YES! it will be a great help with going forward on this search.

I have had a breakthrough over these past few days with the search, so every little snippit  of information does help.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Seasons

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 09:20:11 PM »
Your very welcome.  I hope you find the answers.