Author Topic: William Irvine/Irwin  (Read 111 times)

Raystephenson

William Irvine/Irwin
« on: June 09, 2019, 11:18:18 AM »
Can anyone help. I have a William James Irvine/Irwin interchangeable. Parents are Joseph same surname and Mary Foster.
1901 census states William is a 16 year old 1911 census states 25 years living with brother George. Searched George's birth record and it states same parents.

Can anyone find Williams birth. I have searched all over the place. Aughafad
Thank in advance.

CMcG

Re: William Irvine/Irwin
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 01:11:15 PM »
This may seem improbable, but raising it anyway if only to get it debunked.

I had a relative whose birthname was registered as Samuel, then a few months later he was baptised Joseph and retained that name his whole life instead.  Not common I grant you.  But in this case I wondered about the son Alexander born in 1885:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02658/1980064.pdf

It's on the money for the birth of William James time wise and I can't see a death for an Alexander Irvine/Irwin in that area up to 1901 (when the name Alexander is clearly not shown in his parent's household in the census).  The parent's  1911 census return shows 7 children born - presumably the 7 shown in the 1901 census - so where is Alexander?

Raystephenson

Re: William Irvine/Irwin
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 01:56:53 PM »
CMcG. Now that's what I can using your head. Something I seem to lack.

It does look probable, though on his marriage certificate to Emily Crawford 1915 He is living in Aughafad.  He uses the name William James Irvine. Brother George is a witness along with James Crawford. There is also a will same name, death 10 May 1957 Dromore Middle and taking into account that his wife Emily was from same place when marriage took place.

George was also born in Aughafad in 1894.
Not even looked at the other children as yet. Unless the child Alexander died before the 1901 census. You know how these census records get things wrong.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks again.