Author Topic: Not Residing In Belfast  (Read 2168 times)

IrishDigger

Not Residing In Belfast
« on: June 10, 2019, 04:47:40 AM »
Would I be correct in assuming that the majority of posters on this forum do not actually reside in Belfast?

My profile shows that I come from The Land Down Under but a browse through member's profiles shows that the majority of forum members have not stated their location.

No big deal, just wondering.

Bigali

Re: Not Residing In Belfast
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 08:27:48 AM »
I知 originally from North Antrim but I致e lived in Belfast for years and still do  O0
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

IrishDigger

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 10:52:58 AM »
Would I be correct in assuming that the majority of posters on this forum do not actually reside in Belfast?

My profile shows that I come from The Land Down Under but a browse through member's profiles shows that the majority of forum members have not stated their location.

Correction, I should have put do actually live in Northern Ireland.

IrishDigger

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 11:14:46 AM »

Correction, I should have put do actually live in Northern Ireland.

Sorry, it's been a long day, let's start again,

Would I be correct in assuming that the majority of posters on this forum do not actually reside in Northern Ireland?

RebeccaK

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 12:25:58 PM »
I don稚, but everybody on here already seems to know I知 Dutch. I joined the Forum because I was conducting research three years ago, and seeing as I知 still very interested in Northern Ireland I知 still here! :)

MargaretS

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 12:29:53 PM »
I don稚, but everybody on here already seems to know I知 Dutch. I joined the Forum because I was conducting research three years ago, and seeing as I知 still very interested in Northern Ireland I知 still here! :)

A hundred thousand  welcomes to  you Rebeccak
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes

IrishDigger

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 01:36:44 PM »
I知 originally from North Antrim but I致e lived in Belfast for years and still do  O0

Fair enough, at least we have one credible member who can keep us up to date with current events in the mother country.

Cheers.

:drinks:

manitoba

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 11:19:46 PM »
Hi Irishdigger,Considering that this is the EXILES I would guess that the majority of members do not live in Belfast any more.Me, I was born in Belfast's Shankill Rd.I immigrated to Canada in 1958 and I use the BF because of the historical information and memory jigging posts also because I like to stay in touch with whats going on. I still have cousins in Belfast which I keep in contact with.
Someone once posted "you can take the boy out of Belfast but you can't take Belfast out of the boy".
Welcome to the BF, it is always in need of fresh thoughts and ideas.Manitoba

IrishDigger

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 12:03:32 PM »
Hi Irishdigger,Considering that this is the EXILES I would guess that the majority of members do not live in Belfast any more.Me, I was born in Belfast's Shankill Rd.I immigrated to Canada in 1958 and I use the BF because of the historical information and memory jigging posts also because I like to stay in touch with whats going on. I still have cousins in Belfast which I keep in contact with.
Someone once posted "you can take the boy out of Belfast but you can't take Belfast out of the boy".
Welcome to the BF, it is always in need of fresh thoughts and ideas.Manitoba

G'day Manitoba, thanks for the reply. I guess from your user name one can assume that you live in Manitoba? Interesting how some of us headed for Canada and others for Australia or New Zealand.

I use the Belfast Forum for the same reasons as you, although given that I left Belfast in my late teens, I really do not know the geography of Belfast very well other than around Ballyhackamore, Knock, Cherryvalley and Gilnahirk and I guess those areas would have been sleepy hollows compared to those areas in Belfast that had/have the marches/bonfires/separation walls.

I frequented  Cherryvalley/Gilnahirk in the mid to late 1950's and they were quiet villages; I worked part-time as a Message Boy in Cherryvalley but I guess they would have changed quite a bit by now.

Thankfully in those areas that I mentioned I did not experience the sectarianism/religious bigotry that some of the other members of this form appear to have experienced and I left well before the so called troubles.

What I find fascinating/interesting is that given that the majority of forum members do not live in Northern Ireland/Belfast some of them still continue to argue/fight/niggle/stir each other over the very thing that gave reason for them to leave that place.

I do however ponder at times what the future holds for Northern Ireland given the changing demographics within that part of Ireland.

Anyhow, all purely academic for me and I certainly don't lose any sleep over it.

Cheers.

ldugan

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 07:15:45 PM »

Would I be correct in assuming that the majority of posters on this forum do not actually reside in Northern Ireland?

You would be correct in your assumption although reading most of the expat comments here you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise.  :)

We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another.

IrishDigger

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 01:48:43 AM »

You would be correct in your assumption although reading most of the expat comments here you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise.  :)

:hi: Good on you ldugan, an excellent summary in one sentence. :)

IrishDigger

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 10:45:05 AM »

:hi: I was going to ask you a dumb question Rebecca but I found the answer here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc&feature=youtu.be

I am a great fan of Andr Rieu and have seen his concert live, how about you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orL-w2QBiN8&list=PLD8tVgPY6C1mLj_r8mL_F9nTGo60S_jA9

Cheers.

RebeccaK

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 07:11:26 PM »
:hi: I was going to ask you a dumb question Rebecca but I found the answer here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc&feature=youtu.be

I am a great fan of Andr Rieu and have seen his concert live, how about you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orL-w2QBiN8&list=PLD8tVgPY6C1mLj_r8mL_F9nTGo60S_jA9

Cheers.

Hi there IrishDigger! Personally I have never been to one of his concerts, but my mother and late grandmother have. Andr has a way of cheering you right up, doesn稚 he? Marvellous guy! :)

Kateme

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 03:35:14 PM »
I live in NY.  Haven't posted in a while.  Now and again I juke in.    :)
敵overnment痴 first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

Roadracer

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 04:29:38 PM »
I left NI in 1986 was in Australia for about 32 years, I'm back now about 14 months  :)