Author Topic: Syrian schoolboy in Northern Ireland charms the internet with his Belfast accent  (Read 1472 times)

James James

Text and video news report.

"30 May 2019"
https://www.indy100.com/article/syria-school-boy-video-northern-ireland-accent-belfast-bbc-news-8936516
"Syrian schoolboy in Northern Ireland charms the internet with Belfast accent"

Quote,...

A Syrian schoolboy in Northern Ireland has won hearts and minds across the UK after revealing he acts as an interpreter for his classmates.

And people are loving his Belfast accent, too.

Mohammad is being hailed as a “great leader” and “inspiring” by people online after an interview with BBC News about how he uses his English skills to help other students from Syria.

He is absolutely precious.

It was almost kind of normal,” he said, about learning multiple languages including French.

"I moved from Syria to Lebanon so I learned a bit of French – I forgot most of it now – so I came here and then learned a bit of English."

"I started learning and coming to my friends, talking and trying my best to learn stuff. Then, it worked. That’s how I got to this point."

Mohammad added that he helps his friends when they’re stuck. “They the teachers call me from my class and say, ‘Can you explain that to them ?’”

He wants to learn Spanish and Irish in the future, the latter of which would help with his Gaelic and hurling.

Gaelic and hurling you guys.

Barry McMahon, one of his teachers, said:,...

I’m one of his teachers, he’s an absolute star and he does inspire other EAL kids. They want to be ‘like Mohammad’!! Coincidentally, he was also our best player in a recent hurling final! Heart of a lion. !

People on Twitter are completely charmed by Mohammad.

Jack The Kipper

Well done that young man, pity though that we will be loosing him soon seeing that the war in Syria is over now!!….or will we?
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

Ballymurphygirl

What a lovely child hopefully he will have the world at his feet and be able to live in harmony and without fear    :-* a great Hurley player as well good on you kiddo
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

Billy Fish

Well done that young man, pity though that we will be loosing him soon seeing that the war in Syria is over now!!….or will we?

::)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

ldugan

What a lovely child hopefully he will have the world at his feet and be able to live in harmony and without fear    :-* a great Hurley player as well good on you kiddo
His sister is also a fantastic hurler. Good luck to this hard working family who now call Belfast home.  :)
TIME for the TRUTH on STATE COLLUSION.
JUSTICE for ALL of the INNOCENT MURDERED or MAIMED.

Ballymurphygirl

His sister is also a fantastic hurler. Good luck to this hard working family who now call Belfast home.  :)
sure is a lovely family
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

James James

He's at Saint Clare's Primary School,...
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsNI/status/1132554492698865664

On twitter on 26th May, one of the posters said this,...

https://twitter.com/BarryFegan/status/1132594195158523904
" barry @BarryFegan "

"1 of the nicest kids you could ever meet, he used to come to my club, I love his Belfast accent coming through. He's a credit to his family as are his brothers who are all lovely. Clonard is a lucky place to have them."

Bigali

Perhaps when he leaves school he should take a brickies apprenticeship, after all Aleppo will need to be rebuilt, he could clean up there , if his family are true refugees surely they will be anxious to get back to Syria ASAP and help get the country back on its feet again , or are they economic refugees ? Just sayin’ like  ;)
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Billy Fish

Perhaps when he leaves school he should take a brickies apprenticeship, after all Aleppo will need to be rebuilt, he could clean up there , if his family are true refugees surely they will be anxious to get back to Syria ASAP and help get the country back on its feet again , or are they economic refugees ? Just sayin’ like  ;)

Good question. :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

James James

Another Belfast Syrian boy with a similar story.

"17 October 2016 "
https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2016-10-17/syrian-refugee-shining-as-young-gaa-player-in-belfast/

"Syrian refugee shining as young GAA player in Belfast"

"Ahmed is the first Syrian national to win a hurling title in Antrim. Credit: UTV"

Quote,...

An 11-year-old Syrian refugee who moved to Northern Ireland with his family is excelling as a young GAA player with a club in Belfast.

Patrick Sarsfields won their first juvenile hurling title for a number of years last month, and Ahmed Soda has helped the west Belfast club return to winning ways.

Ahmed Soda and his family, originally from Aleppo, arrived in Northern Ireland in December of last year.

The youngster took up Gaelic football at the club at the start of the year.

Trying out for a new sports team more than 3,000 miles away from home was not without its challenges, as Ahmed recalls.

"When I joined Sarsfield I didn’t know anything, I didn’t know the rules of the game but they teach me."

"It’s just like everyone has been good and it’s like a family."  – AHMED SODA

As Ciaran Doherty, U12 Football Manager, explains, they took special measures to help Ahmed learn the game.

The first session we had, unfortunately I was trying to give out orders to Ahmed, he was understanding some here and there,” he said.

“Unfortunately sometimes he was going backwards and kicking balls backwards so we had to have a translator in. It was something the players had never seen before, or the opposition teams and it worked in our favour."

Hopefully he’s a future Antrim star. I believe with his determination and his big heart he'll go far no matter what he does."

Ahmed then took up hurling in June at Sarsfields and just last month helped the club win their first Under-12 hurling title, with Ahmed probably the first Syrian national to win a hurling title in Antrim and perhaps even in Ireland.

Déaglán Coleman, U12 Hurling Manager, commented: “From the very first training session he was able to lift the ball and strike it out of his hand, which some kids spend three or four years learning to do."

He’s a very brave young man, in terms of what he’s been through, but on the pitch he’s just unbelievable and the kids have really taken to him.

After almost a year in Northern Ireland, the Soda family are well settled.

Ahmed's father Ali who didn't speak a word of English when he arrived - is now proud of everything young Ahmed has achieved.

“I want to say thank you to everyone who helped my son and now my son is a good player,” he said.

James James

"December 16 2016"
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/nis-syrian-refugees-praised-at-event-35298483.html

"Junior Ministers Alastair Ross and Megan Fearon have paid tribute to all the Syrian refugees living in Northern Ireland."

"Reannad, Ali, Lareen, Hasnaa, Maya and Ahmed Soda from Aleppo"

Quote,...

The ministers also commended local communities for the welcome and support they had given the Syrian families.

They were speaking one year on from the arrival of the first refugees. Some of those families held an exhibition yesterday entitled 'My Syria' which celebrated their skills and crafts at Belfast Central Library.

Junior Minister Ross (DUP) said: "The Executive has now received nearly 400 refugees under the Syrian Vulnerable Persons Relocation Scheme, which aims to support victims of violence, women and children at risk and those in need of advanced medical care."

"A year after we welcomed the first group of Syrian refugees to Northern Ireland, it is important we acknowledge the tremendous work of those who have supported the Syrian families through a difficult transition."

Junior Minister Fearon (Sinn Fein) said: "The relocation and resettlement of Syrian refugee families has been an enormous humanitarian effort. I pay tribute to the refugees who are enhancing the rich and diverse culture in the north."

James James

https://antrim.gaa.ie/news/ahmed-soda-future-antrim-star

"Ahmed Soda - Future Antrim Star !"

"This young Sarsfield's Gael Ahmed Soda with his father Ali meets Antrim joint manager Frank Fitzsimons along with county players Matthew Fitzpatrick and Patrick McBride."

"Frank presents Ahmed with his first Antrim jersey and invited Ahmed to watch Antrim play in the upcoming McKenna Cup series."

"Ahmed has ambitions to play for Antrim."

"You heard it here first folks ! Watch this space !"

Dot/dash

He's at Saint Clare's Primary School,...
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsNI/status/1132554492698865664

On twitter on 26th May, one of the posters said this,...

https://twitter.com/BarryFegan/status/1132594195158523904
" barry @BarryFegan "

"1 of the nicest kids you could ever meet, he used to come to my club, I love his Belfast accent coming through. He's a credit to his family as are his brothers who are all lovely. Clonard is a lucky place to have them."

I'm wondering why this boy's family has closen a Christian school             I'm presuming it's because the family are Syrian

Christians            therefore want continuity in their/his Christianity beliefs/values on going     
love me          love my gelding     

Ballymurphygirl

why would he   I should think he will end up more than a brickie like   true refugees  ??? what does that mean     don’t know why post reply to this yesterday was removed there was nothing bad bout my reply  , strange that   just saying like [/font][/size] ::)

Ballymurphygirl

https://antrim.gaa.ie/news/ahmed-soda-future-antrim-star

"Ahmed Soda - Future Antrim Star !"

"This young Sarsfield's Gael Ahmed Soda with his father Ali meets Antrim joint manager Frank Fitzsimons along with county players Matthew Fitzpatrick and Patrick McBride."

"Frank presents Ahmed with his first Antrim jersey and invited Ahmed to watch Antrim play in the upcoming McKenna Cup series."

"Ahmed has ambitions to play for Antrim."

"You heard it here first folks ! Watch this space !"

Good for him  Nice  to see