Author Topic: Syrian schoolboy in Northern Ireland charms the internet with his Belfast accent  (Read 2664 times)

James James

His sister Reannad Soda is also an accomplished and successful Gaelic sports player.

"18 April, 2018"
https://www.irishnews.com/news/2018/04/18/news/brother-and-sister-from-syria-help-west-belfast-gaa-teams-power-through-to-the-all-ireland-fe-ile-finals---less-than-three-ye-1306950/

"Brother and sister from Syria help west Belfast GAA teams power through to the All Ireland Féile finals - less than three years after taking up Gaelic Games"

"Reannad Soda (12), far right, pictured with fellow players after helping Patrick Sarsfield's GAC Under-14 girl team to the Antrim Féile title on Sunday."

Quote,...

TWO Syrian siblings have helped their GAA teams power through to the All Ireland Féile na nGael finals - less than three years after first taking up Gaelic Games.

Ahmad Soda (13) and his 12-year-old sister Reannad helped their respective Patrick Sarsfield's GAC Under-14 boys and girls teams to the Antrim féile title on Sunday.

The pair arrived in Belfast in December 2015, with their parents Ali Soda, Hasnaa Ramadan and two younger siblings.

They were among the first group of refugees to come to Northern Ireland and arrived from Lebanon where they had been living in very basic accommodation after fleeing their Aleppo home with only a handful of belongings.

They have been housed in west Belfast where a neighbour introduced the Ahmad and Reannad to GAA at their local club.

Before long they had gained a spot on the teams and their road to All Ireland competition in Co Meath at the end of June.

The club now go forward as Antrim representatives in the Féile.

It is the first time that the girls team from the club has been represented in the competition.

Paul Barr, chairman of Patrick Sarsfields GAC said both Ahmad and Reannad are "very, very strong in comparison to the other kids", despite having never played before joining the club.

"They had just arrived here and settled into the local community," he said.

"Their next door neighbour happened to be one of the club members and got them along. They haven't looked back since."

"They're fully integrated into both teams. They're just one of us."

Ahmad, a pupil at La Salle College, is taking part in the hurling competition for the club tonight, with a win seeing him play for two teams in two different sports at the Féile.

Antrim GAA's Sean Kelly said it was a "rare" achievement.

"It's an extremely rare feat for a brother and sister to represent their club and county at féile stage in the same year," he said.

"However, that very feat has been accomplished by Ahmad and his sister Reannad who each played a pivotal role in their teams Féile victory on Sunday."

"I'm sure they both will enjoy the experience of participating in the féile in Co Meath, and I wish the all the best in their forthcoming games."

ldugan

I'm wondering why this boy's family has closen a Christian school             I'm presuming it's because the family are Syrian

Christians            therefore want continuity in their/his Christianity beliefs/values on going     
No the families are Muslim, they have no problems attending their local Catholic schools.
We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another.

Ballymurphygirl

No the families are Muslim, they have no problems attending their local Catholic schools.
lively school St Claire’s it amazes me how people think everyone coming into the country is Muslim  ??? most are Catholic/ christen
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

Ballymurphygirl

intergrating very well too by the looks of it good for them n the school
N the pupils helping these beautiful children intergrate
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

Dot/dash

lively school St Claire’s it amazes me how people think everyone coming into the country is Muslim  ??? most are Catholic/ christen

who are the people who believe this               :-\
love me          love my gelding     

Dot/dash

I merely asked if the family of the boy in question were Christian Syrians           on account of their child

attending a Christian school               whether the parents of the child are muslims is immaterial to me       

I'm interested only in what their opinions are in relation to their child              attending a Christian school

where the Christian children           I presume still believe in original sin         therefore there is a  need for

a Saviour         Jesus was the son of God        .    not a holy prophet         Christmas for muslims

centres around a festivity        rather than of the birth of our Saviour/son of God         all of this must be

confusing for this boy           especially if he is the child of practising muslims           don't you agree ?

then again perhaps the parents have requested        the boy should be excused from RE         

James James

"October 28 2016"
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/aleppo-family-overwhelmed-by-warm-welcome-in-chilly-northern-ireland-35168032.html

"Aleppo family overwhelmed by warm welcome in chilly Northern Ireland"

Quote,...

As Northern Ireland prepares to welcome a new group of Syrian refugees, one of the first families to arrive here last year tell how they fled just days before their home in Aleppo was destroyed.

Ali Soda, his wife Hasnaa Ramadan and their four children arrived in Belfast last December in the first wave of refugees to come to Northern Ireland.

They had been living in very basic accommodation in Lebanon having been forced to flee their apartment with only a handful of their belongings.

Now a year on, their children are thriving at local schools and their 11-year-old son Ahmed is even playing Gaelic football for Antrim, but with family still living in Aleppo, the television news has become too painful to watch.

Ali worked as a digger driver in Syria and his wife was a home-maker.

However, life started getting steadily worse in Syria before the family - who had never been out of the country before - decided to leave.

"Things started off slowly, people on the streets, rioting, things starting to progress badly," explained Ali.

"Then one day we were at a gathering and a friend got a phone call to say his wife and son had died after a wall fell on them."

Hasnaa said she had pulled her children out of their school because it kept getting attacked, and said it was the children and trying to secure a better future for them that made the family decide to leave in the summer of 2015.

They described living conditions for refugees in Lebanon as "very difficult" and then feeling very afraid when they were told they were going to Belfast as they had never heard of it before and were concerned about the language barrier.

The cold was also a shock when they walked off the airplane, but they said they felt overcome by the warmth of the welcome they received.

"The main reason we came was for the children," said Ali.

"At the beginning it was frightening for them, my daughter went outside to play with the other children in the street, but she came back crying. I asked her why, and she said because she couldn't understand what anyone was saying," he said.

"Now they all love school, and she has picked up the language so well, she now talks too fast for me to understand her."

The kids have also adapted well to local food, and have developed a love of fish fingers and potatoes.

However, the transition was harder for Ali and Hasnaa, who miss their family and friends.

The turning point came when a group of neighbours knocked on their door. The first time the language difference proved a barrier, but they came back with a translator and have now helped the couple integrate into the community.

They are also full of praise for the support they have received from the local community, and even how the schools their children attend have taken care to ensure their dietary requirements as Muslims are respected, making sure they receive Halal meat.

However, the couple still have difficult days. Hasnaa's father was caught up in an attack recently in Aleppo and left with a head injury.

"Also, my sister lives in a part of Syria where they are not allowed to leave, her son is badly malnourished; she tried to make a sugary drink to help him but she couldn't get sugar, it is very worrying for us," she said.

Two more groups of Syrian refugees are expected to arrive in Northern Ireland before the end of the year under the Government's Vulnerable Persons Relocation Scheme, which was launched by David Cameron.

This is expected to bring to almost 400 the total number of refugees resettled here.

Belfast Telegraph

ldugan

I merely asked if the family of the boy in question were Christian Syrians           on account of their child

attending a Christian school               whether the parents of the child are muslims is immaterial to me       

I'm interested only in what their opinions are in relation to their child              attending a Christian school

where the Christian children           I presume still believe in original sin         therefore there is a  need for

a Saviour         Jesus was the son of God        .    not a holy prophet         Christmas for muslims

centres around a festivity        rather than of the birth of our Saviour/son of God         all of this must be

confusing for this boy           especially if he is the child of practising muslims           don't you agree ?

then again perhaps the parents have requested        the boy should be excused from RE         
Christmas for most people nowadays centres around festivity rather than the birth of Christ. I have no idea whether these children are excused from RE but do know that a growing amount of children from a Christian background are being excused from RE.
We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another.

Ballymurphygirl

a Saviour         Jesus was the son of God        .    not a holy prophet         Christmas for muslims

centres around a festivity        rather than of the birth of our Saviour/son of God         all of this must be

confusing for this boy           especially if he is the child of practising muslims           don't you agree ?

then again perhaps the parents have requested        the boy should be excused from RE         
Dot my grandson attended a catholic school here but he was of no denomination ( his mother’s choice ) he didn’t even have to be baptised to attend it ( primary school   but I get what your saying the children don’t have  to be included well in his school anyway 

MargaretS

What a lovely child hopefully he will have the world at his feet and be able to live in harmony and without fear    :-* a great Hurley player as well good on you kiddo

It's great to see the young  lad has taken up our national sport
And is learning to speak Gaelic
Welcome to Ireland  son   
We proud to have you here
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes

Ballymurphygirl

It's great to see the young  lad has taken up our national sport
And is learning to speak Gaelic
Welcome to Ireland  son   
We proud to have you here
it is MargaretS it’s good to see this young boy apply  himself into Irish culture

Dot/dash

Christmas for most people nowadays centres around festivity rather than the birth of Christ. I have no idea whether these children are excused from RE but do know that a growing amount of children from a Christian background are being excused from RE.

if the school which accepted this Syrian boy is Catholic            Christmas will be celebrated as the birthday of

Christ            there's always the chance the muslim parents will be converted to Catholicism          that

would be a wonderful fantastic achievement for the Catholic school         would it not   

Ballymurphygirl

who are the people who believe this               :-\
oh I work with a few  who presume others from other side of the world are Muslim   maybe even some in here believe that but  , I’m only saying like Dot  :(

James James

lively school St Claire’s it amazes me how people think everyone coming into the country is Muslim ??? most are Catholic/Christian

Oh I work with a few who presume others from other side of the world are Muslim maybe even some in here believe that but, I’m only saying like Dot  :(
Yes,... and whilst this particular family are Muslims, and who have been made very welcome in Belfast,... your observation is certainly very valid.