Author Topic: History of the NI Plastics industry  (Read 304 times)

Brendaki

History of the NI Plastics industry
« on: June 11, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »
Hi
The Plastics Historical Society is hoping to undertake an oral history project dealing in part, with people working in the plastics industry in Northern Ireland in times gone by.
Can anyone give me some ideas where to start? Anyone interested in recording their memories?
Thanks
Brenda

Ninox

Re: History of the NI Plastics industry
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 01:03:31 PM »

You may want to make contact with Denroy Plastics in Bangor, makers of Denman hairstyling products and also aerospace components - they've been operating from the same factory on the Clandeboye Road since the early 1970s, and might be able to point you to a few long-term employees who'd be happy to chat?

Can't post any links up here, but they're easily findable through an internet search. Denroy or Denroy Group.

I'm sure other folk on here will have plenty of other suggestions!

GEMMA

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 01:13:58 PM »
When i worked in MACKIES Springfield Road factory they had their own plastics department, I believe it was the manager of that dept who went on to found Denroy plastics in Bangor,(or had something to do with it), they at one time made lots of plastic components for the textile machinery industry. Is there really a plastics historical society?

Brendaki

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 01:56:16 PM »
Thanks for these suggestions. Please let anyone you think might be interested know about this potential project.
Yes the Plastics Historical Society was formed in 1986. Check out the website it is called Plastiquarian.

Ninox

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 04:06:47 PM »

^^^ That's brilliant. I love the fact that no matter how niche something may appear, there's people willing to put time and effort into preserving the memory of how things were.

I don't know anyone personally to ask, but best of luck with the project Brendaki!

Billy Fish

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 07:36:20 PM »
James Mackie & Son Ltd, pioneered many plastics and Bakelite processes long before many others. Denroy was formed by Max Rainey an ex Mackie employee. Denroy is now managed by his Son, I believe.  :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Ninox

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 08:20:28 AM »
Mebbe an idea for Brendaki to ask over on the Mackies thread, in that case? Powerful amount of knowledge over there.
My grandfather was a Mackies man (Drawing Office though, not plastics) while my father did a bit of subcontract work for Denroy in the 1980s and 90s (we were never short of combs or be-bop brushes on the house), so that's interesting to learn that there's a wee link there and all.

Brendaki

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »
Thanks for all suggestions. Keep them coming!