Author Topic: Chippies  (Read 1177 times)

hotseat

Chippies
« on: June 11, 2019, 04:17:22 PM »
Everyone had a favorite Chippie, Can you Share your Favorite

Bigali

Re: Chippies
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 04:29:08 PM »
The Hot Spot in Ballyhackamore, sadly long gone  :(
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

jillyfred

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 04:52:58 PM »

Hello Hotseat in North Carolina-lovely place.
Don`t be a stranger!!!

Regarding `Chippies`.Well they were once the one and only `carry outs `we had here-now we have joined the rest of the world and have loads of different ones.
Also remember the wee bag of chips for a thrupenny bit after the Matinee when I was a child.

Over the many years I have been around in NI there have been many favourite ones-many now long gone!
Just loved them-great after a night`s dancing!

However,still is John Long`s-as great as ever it was.
Locally is The Cabin in Annalong and Docs in Newcastle.

When in County Tyrone-a place I visit often -The Dolphin in Dungannon is not to be missed-in the Top UK Chippies for the second or third time.Super place.

Many other Forum Members will be more `au fait` with the Belfast ones than I am now-time was I knew all the best ones and distance was no object for a good pastie or fish supper!!!

jilly

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 05:06:38 PM »

... However,still is John Long`s-as great as ever it was

Haven't been there in several years, but Johnny Longs was great, if it's still there, grab it while you can, once it's gone... ...

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

syriana

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 05:35:36 PM »
I love good fish and chips. When I was growing up in East Belfast Eddie Spences was the place to go - I think they are still trading.  Ritchies on the Castlereagh Road was my local - I remember watching the man behind the counter dipping the fish into the batter.  The difficulty nowadays is that a lot of chippies and restaurants buy in pre-prepared battered fish. 

The best I have had in Belfast - so far - was in a pub/restaurant called The Chelsea on Lisburn Road a few weeks ago.  You could have one or two pieces of fish and it came with three little ceramic ramekins containing mushy peas, tartar sauce and curry sauce.  Hand made chips were also presented.  I wasn't sure about the curry sauce but I tried dipping a few chips into it and it and it was nice.  I can't remember the exact cost (a friend paid) but it wasn't expensive.
The Truth is a Lie Which Hasn't Been Found Out.

Bigali

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 05:44:23 PM »
Eddie Spences is still going and still doing great pasties , the Seafry at Rosetta is another good chippy.

Syriana , The Chelsea has always done good food , I would have been a regular visitor when I lived on the Lisburn Road.

The problem I find with a lot of chippys these days is that a lot of them now do deliveries and if you go in at the likes of tea time you’re waiting forever for your meal as they sort out the delivery orders first .

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 06:26:27 PM »

Call me old fashioned, but I would rather have home made chips with plenty of salt and vinegar and a couple of rounds of bread and butter than those from the chippie any day!!
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

HarryHippo

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 11:04:40 PM »

Call me old fashioned, but I would rather have home made chips with plenty of salt and vinegar and a couple of rounds of bread and butter than those from the chippie any day!!
Im with Kipper , you couldnt bate home made chips  .plenty salt and vinegar all squashed up in an O'Hara's heel of bread . and smothered in brown sauce ... Thats what made me the man i am today .. ( a little overweight )  ;)     :)
Lux Et Veritas.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 01:40:37 AM »

The best in East Belfast, used to be The Trafalgar ...  :nyam: RIP ?

Commander Nelson, kept it clean, neat, and shipshape.
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 07:04:02 AM »
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

syriana

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 09:21:24 AM »
Eddie Spences is still going and still doing great pasties , the Seafry at Rosetta is another good chippy.

Syriana , The Chelsea has always done good food , I would have been a regular visitor when I lived on the Lisburn Road.

The problem I find with a lot of chippys these days is that a lot of them now do deliveries and if you go in at the likes of tea time you’re waiting forever for your meal as they sort out the delivery orders first .

Living in Donaghadee restricts my choice of chippies Ali but I have found McClements in Millisle to be consistently good. Most of their customers are the owners of the many caravans in the vicinity.  I like sitting down and eating on the premises - the diners all seem each other and the craic is good.

I have never ordered a delivery - chips sweat when they are wrapped and became a tad limp - I like them dry and crispy.  I agree with previous posters who prefer home made chips - but it's a hassle and I wouldn't have the patience.  When I was boy I remember the chip pan being the ultimate East Belfast survival kit.
The Truth is a Lie Which Hasn't Been Found Out.

bjay

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 06:32:09 PM »
Read  that Johnnie Long's has been granted a liquor licence. The fish suppers are not what they used to be, but a glass of claret or the finest Buckfast will soon make you forget.  Never mind the quality, pass the port  :( :(

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 06:44:37 PM »
Read  that Johnnie Long's has been granted a liquor licence. The fish suppers are not what they used to be, but a glass of claret or the finest Buckfast will soon make you forget.  Never mind the quality, pass the port  :( :(

There'll be cloddin!!
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

Bigali

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 06:45:20 PM »

Really ?

Bigali