Author Topic: William George McCourt DOD  (Read 480 times)

Haire

Re: William George McCourt DOD
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 10:25:06 AM »
Thanks again - I am so appreciative of your help - this forum is great and so professional- you are a credit to the site js

CMcG

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 10:49:01 AM »
1943:

PRONI Will Calendars index:

McCourt Maude Eleanor of 60 Westland Road Belfast spinster died 4 September 1943 Probate Belfast 13 December to Margaret McCourt spinster. Effects £864 4s. 5d.

CMcG

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 11:06:51 AM »

CMcG

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 11:25:43 AM »
1928:

The GRONI website has the death registration, the reported age was 80.

CMcG

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 04:15:30 PM »

1918:

Death informant was son William George:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1918/05197/4435798.pdf

Within the limit of what records I can see, John McCourt was appointed to the Royal Irish Constabulary in May 1869, his age then was recorded as 19, his height was 5' 8+3/4", his native county was Armagh, he was protestant.  He was initially allocated for duty in Co. Dublin, then transferred to Co. Antrim in 1874, he was promoted to Acting Sergeant in 1886, Sergeant in 1888, and was pensioned in 1894.  I know it's him, because the records confirm that the dates he was married and died match those I've mentioned in 1878 and 1918 (above) respectively.

Haire

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 09:00:08 PM »
Dear CMcG - I feel that I need to thank you personally for all of your valuable assistance. To do all the work you have done for my family is such a wonderful gift. My Mum is thrilled with all your research and eagerly awaits each new bit of information. As with any elderly person at the end of their lives reminiscing is a valuable tool in their wellbeing. You have provided a very welcome ray of sunshine for us both. I can never thank you enough. Mum is a story teller and your assistance has given her a new lease of life any has brought forth many new stories which I am now lucky enough to record for our future generations. Regards and best wishes from My Brother and Sister - Mums 6 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren.  Thanks again from the family you have so willingly helped 🇦🇺🙏

CMcG

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 11:02:36 PM »
You're welcome.  :)

Haire

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 02:13:04 AM »
Hi again CMcG - I have been struggling to find the birth certificates for John McCourt and Mary Jane Creighton (living Toome at some point) both Born circa 1851 (my Grandparents) John died on the 09.02.1918 (Enniskillen) and Mary on the 14.10.1928 (Antrim)- they were married on the 10.09.1878 in the Duneane Church of Ireland. John McCourt (junior) Father’s name was John McCourt also (Born circa 1818/19) Daughter Bridget (no record) Mother (no record) Mary Jane Creighton’s Father was William died 1888 Mother Ellen Lappin died 1910 Wales - Daughter Elizabeth (Lizzie Moore) Creighton Born circa 1865 (no other records). Most of these details are listed above courtesy of you (thank you again) if I could prevale on your assistance once again it would be greatly appreciated Regards js 🇦🇺

CMcG

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 04:00:58 AM »
I'm afraid that what you are seeking don't exist, civil registration of births only commenced in 1864, so you will never find birth certificates for John McCourt and Mary Jane Creighton.  Before 1864, you are relying on baptismal records (which can contain very little information) - unfortunately I cannot see any online for these folk, however online coverage is at best patchy.  I can see baptismal records for Ellen Crichton (1853) and Margaret Creighton (1855) in St. Anne's Church of Ireland Belfast, parents recorded as William Creighton and Ellen Lappin, but there is no birth date recorded for either. Given the nature of William's occupation, it is likely that these baptisms coincided with a period of duty in the Belfast area. 

Haire

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2019, 04:09:16 AM »
Thank you - Do you have any other suggestions where I might be able to search or does that mean I may never find them? Thank you again for taking the time to reply js🇦🇺

CMcG

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 10:16:28 AM »
The bottom line is that not all Irish baptismal records, regardless of denomination, have survived for various reasons, be it disintegration from age, be it being lost, be it destruction (eg. the burning of the PRO wing of the 'Four Courts' saw nearly half of all CoI records destroyed). So yes, you may never find them.

But a great many have survived, although knowledge of parish / church would be an absolute prerequisite to pursuing this - what will complicate things on the Creighton side is the mobile nature of the occupation.  For what now constitutes Northern Ireland, PRONI holds the church records, you would have to physically go and look at them yourself or get someone to do so.  Below is the PRONI guide that will give you some sense of the scale of what they hold:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/PRONI-Guide-to-Church-Records.pdf

Haire

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 10:20:16 AM »
Thank you for that very knowledgeable explanation - time and a lot more searching will tell if anything is still out there. Cheers 🍻

Raystephenson

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2019, 09:53:17 AM »
Does anyone know were these McCourt's originate from? I have a Francis Georgina McCourt who married Robert Stephenson in or about 1827 Magheragall Parish. She died about 1840. My "3rd Great Grandparents"

The information was gained from this tree.

https://gw.geneanet.org/fitzaoife?iz=12978&lang=en&n=mccourt&oc=0&p=frances+georgina&type=tree

Nothing much on her sadly. Though would be amazing if I could trace the family.

Haire

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2019, 12:17:31 PM »
I have only just started my family history but have not come across either of those names and I am up to my three times g g’ps. We were all from Belfast, Church of Ireland. My Grandfather William was a coal Merchant and his Dad worked for the Ulster Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Will keep an eye out in my travels for your ancestors. Regards js 🇦🇺☘️