Author Topic: Help with Census - McFarlane  (Read 493 times)

Crayspond

Help with Census - McFarlane
« on: June 15, 2019, 01:10:23 PM »
I am trying to find a Gt Gt Uncle and his family on either the 1901 or the 1911 Irish census. John McFarlane was born in Partick Glasgow 15/04/1854 to Dugald McFarlane and Margaret m.s Christie.
Dugald died in 1856 by drowning leaving Margaret with 6 children. I have Margaret on the 1861 Scottish census with John Stokes as the head it says married but I've yet to find a certificate.
They are not seen again in Scotland but I know they moved to Ireland as my Gt Gt Grandfather James - brother of John marries Jane Dickson or Dixon 27/11/1871 in Belfast.(I've failed miserably finding her birth). They have children born there and Margaret Stokes is on many birth cert as the informant. Their last child is born in Glasgow where they eventually settle.
I'm tracking the brothers and sisters who remained in Ireland. I've found most of them but John is proving tricky. He marries Minnie McGrath or McGeath 31/08/1878 her father William. Witnesses Wm Gray and Sarah Ward. Next spotting is a son William John born 02/02/1882 address 4 Railway St (Mgt Stokes Informant).  I thought it would be straightforward to find them on the census even using McFarlane, McFarland. Also I can't find any more children.
That's about it!  Thanks for reading.

CMcG

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

Re: Help with Census - McFarlane
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 12:58:23 AM »
BTW, a newspaper reference confirms that Mrs Margaret Stokes was a midwife in Belfast in that era.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 03:52:30 AM »

Is this related (second birth down)?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1878/02945/2078949.pdf

What looks like the same girl was baptised nearly 12 years later on 26 February 1890 in St. Peter's RC Church Belfast, the transcript of the baptismal record states her birth year as 1879, her address as 81 McDonnell Street, her parents as John McFarland and Mary McGrath and her sponsor as Julia Lee - that's it, no other information and I don't know what the significance of this deferred baptism is. From what is available online, an Edward Burns is shown at that address in the 1890 street directory and a P. Dempsey in the 1892 directory.

Crayspond

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 08:08:23 AM »
Is this related (second birth down)?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1878/02945/2078949.pdf

Hi CMcG,
It's an odd one - He was married August 1878 then this child is born Sept 1878 (not unusual in those days) but on the marriage cert his occupation is Labourer then the next month he is a mechanic?
I did think Margaret Stokes is on a lot of birth certificates as the informant! Glad too because my daughter works in the maternity unit in Bristol she will be chuffed. Thanks for helping me out.

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 09:35:11 AM »
Mechanic is consistent with his stated occupation of fitter in the birth registration for son William John in 1882, mechanic / fitter / engineer were used almost interchangeably.  As to why just 'labourer' in the marriage record, I don't know, I've seen lots of occupations reduced to that generic label in marriage records before, it could be just down to the particular clergyman, it's similar to the differing conventions on Belfast marriage addresses, some records from that era provide street and number (good for us researching), others simply put 'Belfast' (not good for us researching). 

When you see the same name crop up in birth records for that era, it's usually a local woman (termed 'handywoman') who was experienced in births, in Belfast you were never further than a few streets away from one, however in this case Margaret Stokes was that less common commodity, an actual official midwife overseen by the Poor Law Board of Guardians - I know this because she crops up in an old newspaper article giving evidence to the Guardians.

Crayspond

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 06:56:59 PM »
Hi CMcG
You mentioned in your post that you saw an old newspaper article mentioning Margaret Stokes - can you tell me where you saw it or what it said?
Thanks

Crayspond

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 01:23:55 PM »
Hi CMcG
You mentioned in your post that you saw an old newspaper article mentioning Margaret Stokes - can you tell me where you saw it or what it said?
Thanks

I did manage to get a look at the newspaper article - it was an investigation in the workhouse regarding the attendance of medical students in midwifery cases instead of the properly qualified medical officers and midwives appointed by the poor law commissioners. Margaret Stokes Midwife deposed that the students were out with her about a year ago and that no student ever delivered a woman in her presence etc.
Very interesting - I'm sure this story was on a TV program but can't for the life of me remember where!