Author Topic: 1960s GIGS IN BELFAST NEWSPAPERS  (Read 632 times)

94mikej

1960s GIGS IN BELFAST NEWSPAPERS
« on: June 22, 2019, 02:38:40 AM »

Hi everyone

Hoping someone can help me out.
I'm trying to find out whether any of the local Belfast newspaper advertised local Rock / Beat gigs in the early 1960s?
I'm specifically trying to find out when two Liverpool Merseybeat groups, Earl Preston And The TT's and
Mark Peters And The Silhouettes went to Belfast in 1963.
What venue, date, support acts, poster, etc.

I have a picture of a quote from Mersey Beat magazine stating the group's upcoming Irish excursion below

Cheers
Mike

Mersey Beat Magazine Vol 2, No 52, July 18 - August 1 1963[/size]

[/size]

CMcG

Re: 1960s GIGS IN BELFAST NEWSPAPERS
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 06:20:09 AM »
Mecca owned the Plaza in Belfast.  The following appeared in the Belfast Telegraph on 23 August 1963:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 06:26:47 AM »
I couldn't see Mark Peters and the Silhouettes in local newspapers, however I wonder if something got confused / misinterpreted in the Mecca communication, for The Silhouettes did appear at the Plaza - but a different band (this from the Belfast Telegraph of 11 October 1963):

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

94mikej

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 03:51:55 PM »
Mecca owned the Plaza in Belfast.  The following appeared in the Belfast Telegraph on 23 August 1963:

Thank you CMcG.
Was the Belfast Telegraph the only local paper that advertised local gigs?

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 04:28:42 PM »
In terms of daily newspapers, the Belfast Telegraph, Irish News and News Letter were the top 3 in terms of capturing local readership, the Northern Whig having declined up to its closure in 1963. All were all published within a few hundred yards of each other in Belfast. The Belfast Telegraph was the predominant afternoon / evening newspaper then and for many years thereafter.

I'm afraid that I wouldn't know about any local papers specific to the music scene.

94mikej

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 04:32:28 PM »
Interesting
Are there any other adverts in the papers for the Earl Preston And The TT's gig?
Do you know whether the Plaza did gig posters for their shows?

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 04:49:05 PM »
No, I couldn't see anything else.  Just to add that I think Belfast was a different beast to Liverpool back then in terms of live music culture, I read a bit about Mersey Beat and the sheer number of groups on the go was mind boggling, whereas in Belfast / wider Northen Ireland you had the influence of the show bands.  And of course, Van Morrison / Them kicking off.

derdrei

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 11:32:51 AM »
there was the picadilly line and the talk of the town.

JackM

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 01:11:44 PM »
No, I couldn't see anything else.  Just to add that I think Belfast was a different beast to Liverpool back then in terms of live music culture, I read a bit about Mersey Beat and the sheer number of groups on the go was mind boggling, whereas in Belfast / wider Northen Ireland you had the influence of the show bands.  And of course, Van Morrison / Them kicking off.

Liverpool was the centre of the musical universe, at that time. Was lucky enough to witness it and also the scene in London. Great days, wish I could revisit them. :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Billy Fish

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 05:59:43 AM »
In terms of daily newspapers, the Belfast Telegraph, Irish News and News Letter were the top 3 in terms of capturing local readership, the Northern Whig having declined up to its closure in 1963. All were all published within a few hundred yards of each other in Belfast. The Belfast Telegraph was the predominant afternoon / evening newspaper then and for many years thereafter.

I'm afraid that I wouldn't know about any local papers specific to the music scene.

I remember a newspaper 'City Week' was it ? It covered gigs, dances what was on at venues etc. It also took photographs of people at venues etc. Can't exactly remember much more about it. It may have lasted a few years only.  ???
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

JackM

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
I remember a newspaper 'City Week' was it ? It covered gigs, dances what was on at venues etc. It also took photographs of people at venues etc. Can't exactly remember much more about it. It may have lasted a few years only.  ???

I also remember a publication, `City Week` or `City Beat` was it ? It had loads of photos around the various dance venues. Published by the News Letter, I think ?  ???
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

jillyfred

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 03:58:09 PM »
I also remember a publication, `City Week` or `City Beat` was it ? It had loads of photos around the various dance venues. Published by the News Letter, I think ?  ???

==
Yes Jack and Billy it was
City Week.

jilly

jillyfred

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 04:19:14 PM »
Liverpool was the centre of the musical universe, at that time. Was lucky enough to witness it and also the scene in London. Great days, wish I could revisit them. :)

===
You and me both Jack!!!

jilly