Author Topic: J. McGuigan picture frame shop Castle St  (Read 418 times)

hmcguigan

J. McGuigan picture frame shop Castle St
« on: July 09, 2019, 01:45:51 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm wondering if anyone has any old photo of McGuigan's Art dealer/Picture Framing
shop in Castle Street, going back to 1930s - 1950.  James McGuigan was my Great Grandfather and my mother, James' Granddaughter, who was born in Belfast, would love to have a photo of his shop.  She can
remember exactly what it looked like, when she was a child and was very fond of her Granddad.
I know it's a long shot but just thought I'd try and see if I had any luck on the forum.  I've been trawling
through tons of old photos of Belfast but without luck. 
Thanks to anyone who reads this or who can help. ::) ::)

Bread Basket

Re: J. McGuigan picture frame shop Castle St
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 04:46:25 PM »
No joy with a pic as yet but still hunting.

hmcguigan

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 06:54:05 PM »
Hello Bread Basket,  how very kind of you to reply and to take the time to even try and look for any photo of McGuigans shop. I very much appreciate your time and effort.  If you have any luck , my mother would be so happy and if not,  she would be very thankful to you too. Hope you have a good weekend.   ::)

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 07:07:08 PM »

Getting there, this pic shows a trolley bus outside Sawyers in Castle St 1960ís. Pity the camera wasnít pointing in the opposite direction. However, I hope this pic brings back a few memories for your Mother.

Bread Basket

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 07:49:44 PM »

Something is going wrong here , pic is not uploading

Bread Basket

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 06:42:52 AM »
Now working on my home computer as opposed to my ipad. .. worked first time.    O0 O0       

Bread Basket

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 06:47:16 AM »

1960 Belfast St Directory

McNamee

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »
My mother (Rose Ward) worked for your great grandfather and also his son Sean as a picture framer. I remember the shop very well.

ldugan

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 07:02:28 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm wondering if anyone has any old photo of McGuigan's Art dealer/Picture Framing
shop in Castle Street, going back to 1930s - 1950.  James McGuigan was my Great Grandfather and my mother, James' Granddaughter, who was born in Belfast, would love to have a photo of his shop.  She can
remember exactly what it looked like, when she was a child and was very fond of her Granddad.
I know it's a long shot but just thought I'd try and see if I had any luck on the forum.  I've been trawling
through tons of old photos of Belfast but without luck. 
Thanks to anyone who reads this or who can help. ::) ::)
Hi could only find this photo of Castle st,unfortunately the bus blocks the view of your grandfathers shop.  :)
Image may contain: sky and outdoor
We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another.

Bread Basket

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 10:26:10 AM »
This pic was obviously taken way before the shop was in being however it reflects the style of the street prior to redevelopment etc. It shows the junction of King St & Mill St looking towards the city centre . However Mill St's name was changed to Castle St.

Bread Basket

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 11:10:34 AM »
Bingo. ... got it.        Once again this pic was taken prior to the shop opening.  However the location of the shop was on the corner of Castle St [Mill St as it was then] & Marquis St. See previous Street Directory Pic where it gives the location of the shop.
Hope your Mother enjoys.

ldugan

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 01:53:33 PM »
Bingo. ... got it.        Once again this pic was taken prior to the shop opening.  However the location of the shop was on the corner of Castle St [Mill St as it was then] & Marquis St. See previous Street Directory Pic where it gives the location of the shop.
Hope your Mother enjoys.

Well done BB, great find. :)
We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another.

hmcguigan

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 11:39:45 PM »
Dear Bread Basket, I don't know how I can thank you for all the trouble you went to in order to find a picture of
the Shop.  My Mam will be so thrilled.  She was up in Belfast recently (lives here in Tipperary) and she wanted to get some buns and cakes from your shop but ye were closed !  She was disappointed...  Many, many thanks to you and may the sun always shine bright in your life. 
Much thanks also to Idugan and McNamee for Photos and comments.  The kindness of people like you, make
the world a better place.  I hope we can keep in touch and thank you all again.  ::)

hmcguigan

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 11:57:16 PM »
Forgot to say, the pictures are just beautiful and so old world, which I love.
To McNamee - I hope your Mam had happy memories of working in the shop.
My Mam actually remembers a young lady working there, so maybe that was your Mam, Rose.

I've been to Belfast a few times with my Mam and what a beautiful city it is.
If I ever go up there again, I will definitely be calling to the Bread Basket, to thank the lady personally.
You have all been so good and so helpful.  Thank you so very, very much.