Author Topic: Belfast motorcycle shops  (Read 2282 times)

Alber55

Re: Belfast motorcycle shops
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2019, 11:07:34 PM »
Don't remember GS Motorcycles, maybe after my time. I had a break from road bikes in 1980 when we moved away. Not owned anything decent until 1996 when I bought a CBR1000, a real beast compared to my '78 GS1000

stranmillis v

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 11:31:12 PM »
Thanks CmcG BnR must have been Boyd and Russell ?
"This society believed it was looking towards a new future, yet we consistently find ourselves being dragged backwards."

Bigot's are ignored by me.

CMcG

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2019, 12:25:41 AM »
Spot on.

1972:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

deke

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2019, 03:47:08 AM »

Artie Bell had a motorcycle shop where the Woodstock Rd meets the Cregagh Rd  (454 Woodstock Rd)      It was down a short entry behind the shops, remember looking at Hondas there.   One of my biggest regrets in life was never having a motorcycle, my parents always talked me out of it.     Left for Canada in 1966 when I was 20.
I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

Alber55

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2019, 11:07:07 AM »
Deke, I loved my later biking years. The early years were more a 'means of travel'. From 1996 to 2005 I covered about 10k miles per year on my CBR, mostly Western Europe. Loved Austria for it's cooler climate, scenery and beautiful roads. Injuries / arthritis stops we doing it now.

Roadracer

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2019, 01:11:11 PM »
John Borne is still in business since 1981, East End Motorcycles before that he was mechanic for Owen's Brothers.
I was in GS Motorcycles recently they are now in Hillsborough, don't know if it the same owners.
Like yourself Alber55 I travelled locally from 76 to 86 all year round, then Australia after still riding today with thousands of miles covered on various machines over the years.
I use Tinypic to upload it is tricky but there is an explanation on this site somewhere.

Alber55

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »

There's been a few shop names mentioned here but was anyone around when they stopped trading...maybe know why!  Maybe  owner retirement, redevelopment etc...?
MB Motorcycles doesn't seem to have been on the scene for many years....when did it disappear?

Roadracer

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »
I'm not sure when it closed, I bought the 1100 of him in 84 last time in shop was early 85. He did go through a rough time when he lost his wife early eighties, the shop was getting run down. Boyd couldn't supply me with the 1100 and Maurice gave me a good discount.
I believe Noel Orr just shut up shop and retired, remember his Red Delorean Car.

stranmillis v

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2019, 04:24:42 PM »
Like everything else Charles Hurst took over.
"This society believed it was looking towards a new future, yet we consistently find ourselves being dragged backwards."

Bigot's are ignored by me.

Alber55

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2019, 10:54:08 PM »

Roadracer, did a search for Tinypic and got this message on their site.
"TinyPic is shutting down in 2019
TinyPic is shutting down its image hosting service because we can no longer support a free service that derives 100% of its revenue from ever declining on-site ad revenues.
While you may continue to host images from our site until further notice, we encourage you to consider selecting one of the premium plans offered by our sister site, Photobucket.
Thanks for using TinyPic for your hosting needs over the years. We apologize that we can no longer continue providing this service, but Photobucket is a great option going forward."

Roadracer

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2019, 03:49:19 PM »
Tinypic is still working for me last one's where done via it.

Had an interesting conversation with an old biker mate this morning still quite a few of us keep in touch and still riding.
I knew he bought two bike from a shop on Albertbridge Road a GT250 in 76 and a GSX750 in 80, it was down the road from Owen's Brothers and we are sure it was GS Motorcycles and two brothers owned as well.

btw Alber55 I have a mate over in Oz has 3 lovely GT750's he got two extra for his son's. Knew a few guy's from Newtownabbey had them back n the day.

Alber55

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2019, 07:22:16 PM »

Roadracer: I'll have to try from my PC...using Windows Mobile and it's not really up to the job!

I biked around with a few from the Rathcoole / Newtownabbey area but that was early 70s. Harry Cane, Harry Carse, (Brian?) Foster, Steven Tweedie.....ring any bells?

I was offered a run on a GT750 in the late 80s by a boyfriend of a neighbour as she knew I'd had bikes.....he got a little worried after about an hour when my wife and I hadn't returned....well I had go and fill his tank as I'd used most of it 🤣.

In NI we called the GT750 a 'waterbucket' or 'bucket' but in the rest of the UK it was called a 'kettle'. They were fine if you kept the revs up but they spluttered and choked a bit if you let them drop for long.

JackM

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2019, 01:23:57 PM »
I remember the Andrews family in Smithfield and surrounding area. Splendid people they were. First Class.   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Alber55

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2019, 09:28:06 PM »
JackM, bought my Yam 125 from Andrews in 71 and visited the shop often for all the usual stuff...2 stroke, plugs, points etc. Did it close when the dad passed away? I believe there was quite a big issue with inheritance after he died.

Roadracer

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2019, 09:27:04 PM »
Alber55 can't say I know any of those names from Rathcoole, but do remember the 125 Yamaha, I have a 1972 Yamaha YCS5E or you may know better as a 200 Electric.