Author Topic: Anyone searching Gourley (Belfast)  (Read 897 times)

Co6655

Re: Anyone searching Gourley (Belfast)
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »
That Andrew Gourley married to Jane McLarnon is my great great grandfather. His son James was my grandfather and married Mary Morrison also of Belfast. My mother Margaret Gourley was born there before they came to the US. I am in contact with a 3rd cousin (DNA verified) who is the descendant of Andrew’s brother.

PRS

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 10:50:45 AM »
CMcG  thank you for all the help and death notices you have previously provided me.   
I found the McRobert - Gourley burial plot at Dundonald Cemetery on Friday, containing the remains of Andrew McRoberts, his wife Elizabeth Boyd,  Her brother James and their sister Jeannie, wife of Thomas Gourley. 
When Jeannie died in 1982, she was a widow.  Do we know when her  husband Thomas, born 24 June 1894 of 8 Derg Street Belfast , died and where he is buried ?

CMcG

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 01:14:29 AM »
I'm afraid that I can't see any mention of him after the 'in memoriam' notice of 1940 (for Jean Boyd's mother Jane who died in 1939).   

PRS

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 12:19:10 PM »
CMcG

Thank you for all your help. 
May I ask two questions.
1.  Can you show the "In Memoriam" notice.
2. What source you use for the death notices, ( may help me in other local, NI genealogical researches).

PRS

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 12:26:16 PM »
Belfast City Council Burial records has a possible for a Thomas Gourley.

Died 21 July 1959, aged 66 (b 1893) of 41 Lendrick Street Belfast. Buried Roselawn, along with an Annie Gourley, Died 11 Oct 1976 aged 73.

CMcG

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2019, 01:23:11 PM »
CMcG

Thank you for all your help. 
May I ask two questions.
1.  Can you show the "In Memoriam" notice.
2. What source you use for the death notices, ( may help me in other local, NI genealogical researches).

1. I have previously posted it to your other topic (reply #6 in the link below):
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,77349.0.html

2. The British Newspaper Archive

CMcG

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2019, 01:29:52 PM »

Belfast City Council Burial records has a possible for a Thomas Gourley.

Died 21 July 1959, aged 66 (b 1893) of 41 Lendrick Street Belfast. Buried Roselawn, along with an Annie Gourley, Died 11 Oct 1976 aged 73.

I had already seen this one myself and eliminated it - Annie was his wife.  I checked newspaper notices for every death of a Thomas Gourley in the GRONI index of approximately the right birth year, and they were all someone else... HOWEVER, the GRONI index only goes up to 1969, so maybe he died after that, but regardless, a straight-forward  search for him in newspapers from 1969 didn't produce any hits anyway. That's not to say that there isn't a death notice for him, it's just that the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology that underpins such newspaper searches is far from reliable. Which is why it is much easier to find a death notice if one already knows the date of death, for instead of relying on the OCR technology by searching on name or other key piece of information like address, one simply navigates to the death notices for the same and following few days and looks for the name - I know this doesn't help you, but that's the sort of issue that arises with online newspaper archives.

PRS

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2019, 01:32:43 PM »
CMcG     

Thanks.

TonySurrey

Yes I am researching this surname: GOURLEY. The connection is via my MAGEE maternal line, Georgina GOURLEY (nee MAGEE) of 28 Dufferin Street, in (East?) Belfast. Georgina was the sister of my grandfather George who left Belfast about 1935, settling in Woking, Surrey, UK - where I write from today! GOURLEY seems an uncommon name  in Belfast, perhaps from Scotland.

Sadly George MAGEE died in February 1941 (aged only 34!), here in Surrey, he was working at Vickers Armstrong (aircraft) Factory, it was bombed by Luftwaffe in September 1940 - nearly 100 killed, almost 400 injuried. We never knew our grandfather MAGEE, not even a photograph, this was the single fact that started my researches, and many other bloodlines since! It's hard to put down! He was born in 1906 June 04 at no. 20 Steens Row, Belfast - family tradition says he was in army, served in India, but no documentation has survived today, we guess IF he served it was before he married my grandmother in 1935, but we know nothing / very little.
Pleased to hear from anyone with interest in GOURLEY, MAGEE, EDGAR, IRVINE, ADAMS, VANCE, and any links to Carrowdore in Co.Down, where Georgina and George's father, William MAGEE was born according to certificate of discharge (no. 1557) 3rd. RIR, dated 1902 January 22nd. at Newtownards; confirmed at Belfast on 31st. January.
Thanks in advance, any interest, Tony LEE - MAGEE.

PRS

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 07:51:14 AM »
Tony

I started  my research to try and find a link between my McKnight lineage and a lady in America with McLarnon lineage, it escalated out to Gourley.  You mention Carrowdore. If not already a member, you could join the FHINDA FB GROUP.Family History in North Down & Ards group. The admin Shirley Cochrane and others are very helpful. Another informative website is www.rosdavies.com  here you can search Surnames of Co Down.

Paul Simpson

PRS

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 08:24:50 AM »
Tony Lee-magee

I couldn't find your grandfather George's birth record for 4th June 1906.
I did find George Magee born 20 Steens Ros on 4th June 1904 to William Magee and Ellen Kerr. www.irishgenealogy.ie

Paul Simpson

TonySurrey

Reply 2: Anyone searching surname GOURLEY, (east Belfast) and MAGEE
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 05:08:22 PM »
Thanks PRS. Your correction has been noted, regarding George MAGEE born at 20 Steens Row, on 04 June 1904.
We have found the Belfast City Council's burial records, very useful in linking surnames, and sometimes generations. Following their plot number links shows ALL persons in same grave (burial plot), watch out for "public burials" where often stillborn and very young children were buried - the home addresses give (extra) clues to linking families.