Author Topic: the Polio outbreak of 1957  (Read 551 times)

moorsy

the Polio outbreak of 1957
« on: July 30, 2019, 02:58:21 AM »
This happened just as the vaccine was becoming available, 297 people were affected,  Nobody in our family were strickened, but in the years after you would see people of all ages with thore steel calibers on their legs.
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

JackM

Re: the Polio outbreak of 1957
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 12:43:24 PM »
Fairly devastating for a small Country such as Northern Ireland, as I recall. Allegedly, much of it spread through people using the swimming baths.   :(
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Alber55

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 02:02:59 PM »
I was born in 55 and only knew one person who had polio. I didn't know he'd had it as he only showed a slight limp. He was much older than me, in fact he was the caretaker of my primary school in the late 60s and maybe in his 40s then.

moorsy

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 03:40:58 PM »
It seems to have infected people in different ways, started off mostly with flu like systems . Some people had the virus and never knew it,and others were paralyzed.

Belfastloon

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
I was born in 1950 and I remember my mother and relatives talking about the out break I was about 5 or 6. For some reason some seemed to think around the Lagan was the worst bit. But that was just talk. One thing is for sure I did not know.

moorsy

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 08:24:50 PM »
Fairly devastating for a small Country such as Northern Ireland, as I recall. Allegedly, much of it spread through people using the swimming baths.   :(

Interesting, had not heard that.

moorsy

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 08:26:19 PM »
I was born in 1950 and I remember my mother and relatives talking about the out break I was about 5 or 6. For some reason some seemed to think around the Lagan was the worst bit. But that was just talk. One thing is for sure I did not know.

We lived along the lagan and I dont think our district was hit harder than any other.

dougie boy

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 09:23:17 PM »
Born 1950  can remember having the polio vac at  primary school  and the tales that it would be in three stages and each stage
would be more  painful  turned out the third stage was something on the tongue.

If this is old age I hope I die young

moorsy

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 12:50:09 AM »
Born 1950  can remember having the polio vac at  primary school  and the tales that it would be in three stages and each stage
would be more  painful  turned out the third stage was something on the tongue.

That was probably 1957-1958 when the vac became available.

Belfastloon

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 06:23:22 AM »

That was probably 1957-1958 when the vac became available.

Yes I think you are right I remember getting a sugar cube with a pink liquid and because of where I got it I must have been a bit older than first stated.

On the subject of the Lagan that was just rumour not medical fact, at that time no one in my family had a first aid certificate never mind any medical knowledge.

wuz

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 09:10:50 AM »
I remember queueing up about 1957 outside a health centre on, I think, the Donegal Road to get the suger lump.
Because of the outbreak and that a near neighbour friend my age had caught it a few years earlier, my mother was worried and we went on probably the first day.
It was spread by digesting fecal matter and swimming in rivers such as the Lagan  would not have been be advised, in view of the tendency for rural cesspits overflowing into local rivers and streams.
Wuz

JackM

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 01:05:17 PM »
Interesting, had not heard that.

From memory Public swimming baths indoor and outdoor were closed to the Public.   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

moorsy

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 04:30:12 PM »
I remember queueing up about 1957 outside a health centre on, I think, the Donegal Road to get the suger lump.
Because of the outbreak and that a near neighbour friend my age had caught it a few years earlier, my mother was worried and we went on probably the first day.
It was spread by digesting fecal matter and swimming in rivers such as the Lagan  would not have been be advised, in view of the tendency for rural cesspits overflowing into local rivers and streams.
Wuz

There was a city dump close to the old Belvoir Estate wall and all the tailings went right into the lagan. We used to swim in the lagan up closer to NewForge below the Shaws Bridge At that time before they built the weir behind the gas works the lagan was tidal up to the first locks.

BLOOMFIELD

Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

moorsy