Author Topic: City cemetery  (Read 2414 times)

Ballymurphygirl

City cemetery
« on: August 04, 2019, 06:00:31 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49178174  very interesting read and history of the cemetery
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

derdrei

Re: City cemetery
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 06:47:32 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49178174  very interesting read and history of the cemetery
thank you Ballymurphgirl  was great interest ,my husband and four month old baby are there.

Bigali

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 06:50:46 AM »
thank you Ballymurphgirl  was great interest ,my husband and four month old baby are there.

Sorry to hear that Derdrei.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

gray_marian

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 02:14:58 PM »
#1, Derdrei, saddened to hear of your loss. May they Rest In Peace.

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 02:18:53 PM »

hugs to you Deirdrei x I love reading history like this there was a quiz question onced I went to and it was where is the 3 rd graveyard on the falls road easy for  me we used to visit it when I was at St Roses  it was in St  Dominic’s grounds the city was always well looked after
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

jillyfred

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 04:58:01 PM »

===
God Bless them both and you Derdrei.

jillyx

jillyfred

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 05:13:10 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49178174  very interesting read and history of the cemetery

[/quote
====
Whilst I found the article an interesting read I would have to say the grand and the poor are really equal in the end -all are dead.

jilly

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 06:09:47 PM »
 it was what it was jillyfred Victorian times as the saying goes no pockets in shrouds

stickleback

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 11:37:50 AM »

All my grandparents were laid to rest there.

Unfortunately, I only got to meet one, my old man's father, who died when I was six months old. The others were already deceased, sad to say. I am reliably informed he held me in his arms.

Belfast City Cemetery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp_yb9wZfQg

gray_marian

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »

Unfortunately, I only got to meet one, my old man's father, who died when I was six months old. The others were already deceased, sad to say. I am reliably informed he held me in his arms.

Belfast City Cemetery

Nice wee whistle-stop tour around Belfast Cemetery SB. I love visiting cemeteries, in my own town centre there are a few 12th century gravestones. The huge Necropolis sites which cities have encroached upon are favourities too. My grave marker will be a bench somewhere where there are not enough seats!
Like you, both my grandmothers had died [long] before I was born but luckily I had lots of aunts, two in particular, one maternal the other paternal who were welcomed substitutes. When my eldest daughter presented my first grandson 12 years ago it started a new chapter in my life and has brought such joy ever since. Now another four have joined him, the youngest just last week. Whilst toddlers they have all attended family graves when I take my mum to visit her deceased rellies, a whole day affair around three different cemeteries we sometimes stop to have a wee picnic if the grandchildren are hungry, though trying to explain why they should not rearrange flowers in situ to those who have none took a bit of understanding on their part. The 12yr old's enthusam has  waned somewhat and he no longer understands my attraction for genealogy sites 'looking for dead people' ie long lost family unless of course it was in battle then he's all ears. :)

Bigali

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 04:30:39 PM »
Nice wee whistle-stop tour around Belfast Cemetery SB. I love visiting cemeteries, in my own town centre there are a few 12th century gravestones. The huge Necropolis sites which cities have encroached upon are favourities too. My grave marker will be a bench somewhere where there are not enough seats!
Like you, both my grandmothers had died [long] before I was born but luckily I had lots of aunts, two in particular, one maternal the other paternal who were welcomed substitutes. When my eldest daughter presented my first grandson 12 years ago it started a new chapter in my life and has brought such joy ever since. Now another four have joined him, the youngest just last week. Whilst toddlers they have all attended family graves when I take my mum to visit her deceased rellies, a whole day affair around three different cemeteries we sometimes stop to have a wee picnic if the grandchildren are hungry, though trying to explain why they should not rearrange flowers in situ to those who have none took a bit of understanding on their part. The 12yr old's enthusam has  waned somewhat and he no longer understands my attraction for genealogy sites 'looking for dead people' ie long lost family unless of course it was in battle then he's all ears. :)

I’m with you on that one Marian I too enjoy visiting graveyards particularly old ones as they have a lot of interesting history. One of the more interesting ones I have visited was a small graveyard attached to an old Anglican Church in Cambridge Massachusetts where there were quite a few graves belonging to soldiers from Washington’s Continental Army and Militia and a few from the British Army from the time of the American Revolution.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 05:25:16 PM »

Belfast City Cemetery

lovely story SB x

James James

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 12:21:32 AM »
Quite a bit of information about it and it's interments and their relatives here on this free site that anyone can use,...

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/1967927/belfast-city-cemetery

https://www.findagrave.com/

https://youtu.be/LcFlau2wiZc   "How to Use Find A Grave"

"Tyler Lentz"   "Published on 6 Dec 2014"

"Findagrave.com, or Find A Grave is a database of over 121 million grave records. These records can include vital information such as birth and death dates, tombstone location, given and maiden names, and even a picture of the gravestone."

"Volunteers create memorial pages for each of the burial records. These memorial pages allow for biographical and tombstone information, in addition to a tombstone picture.  If the memorial page you are looking at does not have a headstone picture, you can request for a volunteer in the area of the cemetery take one for you."

"Find A Grave records are constantly growing, and are currently indexed and searchable from findagrave.com, ancestry.com, and familysearch.org."

gray_marian

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 02:54:15 AM »
#12, Thank you for the info James.

allymac

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
I’m with you on that one Marian I too enjoy visiting graveyards particularly old ones as they have a lot of interesting history. One of the more interesting ones I have visited was a small graveyard attached to an old Anglican Church in Cambridge Massachusetts where there were quite a few graves belonging to soldiers from Washington’s Continental Army and Militia and a few from the British Army from the time of the American Revolution.
Theres a grave in the Shankill Graveyard that contains the body of one of the survivors of the famous Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War.Theres also a Commonwealth War grave of a young lad named Sterling who died at age 14.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.